Image Files too small

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited December 5, 2013 in Finishing School
My editor states that my files are too small as they 7 MB uncompressed. He thinks my settings in my camera or Photomechanic need to be changed. My work flow consists of: take photos with Canon 1D Mark III in RAW, Ingest Raw files to Photomechanic, add caption, rename file, open RAW photo in Photoshop and edit. Once I edit photo, I save it as a jpeg file. At this point my files are close to 2 MB. I then FTP to files using Cyberduck. I can see the all of the file sizes on the site that I FTP to and they all say anything from 2.0 to 2.8 MB's. Is their a setting in my Canon 1D Mark III that I need to adjust?

Comments

• perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    photodad1 wrote: »
    Is their a setting in my Canon 1D Mark III that I need to adjust?

No, but there is likely a setting in Photoshop you need to adjust. Paste a screenshot of the dialog box where you save your jpg and we can fix this quickly.
  • photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    Before I saved the file, it was 8 MB's (RAW).

i-F3tVQhw-M.png
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 3, 2013
    The sensor of the the EOS 1DMkIII is ~ 10.1 Mpxl, and its large size jpgs, straight out of the camera, are 3,888 x 2,592 pixels, as stated here, by Canon, - http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_mark_iii#Specifications

What size files does your editor want/need? Specifically, how many pixels on each edge does your editor want/need. (The Mb size of a jpg is highly dependent on the frequency of the image, i.e. lots of fine details, or broad monochromatic graphics. ) The pixel dimensions of an image are fixed, finite numbers.

I do not usually save jpgs at level 12 from PS, as level 10 is usually enough, for my purposes if there are enough pixels to start with...

Was this image cropped in Photoshop, perhaps?

If you are using the standard file size RAW file from your 1DMKIII, then you should have enough pixels in a full frame image for an image ~ 13 inches by 8.6 inches for images that are 300 pixels per inch, even though you could probably have fine images at 200 pixels per inch. ( But your editor may feel they need 300 ppi )

If you are cropping your images, then you need to be aware of their new pixel dimensions, before submitting them to your editor.

Your screen shot says the image is 1.5 Mb, if I read the dialogue box correctly.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 3, 2013
    I usually adjust the quality of the image in Photoshop so that that are saved to as close to 2 MB as possible. Some photos might be 2 MB's at level 9 where as some might be 2 MB's at level 12. The photo in the example was not edited at all. It was shot in SRAW. The editor is looking for around 2 MB's, no larger than 3 MB's.
    edited December 3, 2013
    I usually adjust the quality of the image in Photoshop so that that are saved to as close to 2 MB as possible.

Why?
    Some photos might be 2 MB's at level 9 where as some might be 2 MB's at level 12. The photo in the example was not edited at all. It was shot in SRAW. The editor is looking for around 2 MB's, no larger than 3 MB's.

You need to find out what your editor means by "too small". Are they stating the actual file size is too small? I can't imagine ANY editor would actually care about this. Or are they saying that the files you submit don't have enough resolution. Get clarification on EXACTLY what your editor needs and then post that here.

I see you have two threads going about this. You need to shut either this one or that one down.
    edited December 3, 2013
    From the link in my previous post, a EOS 1DMIII RAW file is 3,888 x 2,592 pixels, but its sRAW file is not that size. An sRAW file is 1,936 x 1,288 pixels, or about 7.6 MB. 1936/300ppi = 6.45 inches on the long dimension, and 1288/300 = 4.29 inches. I think this is why your editor says your images are "too small". Check with your editor for the needed images sizes in pixels along each border of your image…

I cannot imagine an editor bothered by more than 2 Mpxl image sizes, but maybe they have a reason I am unaware of.

What is the end use your editor plans with your images - a printed article, photographs for sale, a web page, or a large poster or a billboard?

I see that Ziggy responded in your other thread as well, that the sRAW format may be too small for your needs, which is what I was pointing out in this post in my first few lines.

Use a RAW file, not an sRAW file, and get your editor to give you a needed image size in pixels for each border - not ppi, but number of pixels along each border of your files. If your files do not have sufficient pixels, they might be able to be uprezzed in Photoshop.

• PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    Provide one of your raw files, please. You can upload it to a free service like DropBox and post the link here.
    edited December 3, 2013
    The editor states, attempt to crop at 10x7. I would NOT crop at 300dpi or 3000 by 2000 though because that makes the image 18mb in size.
    edited December 3, 2013
    pathfinder wrote: »
    From the link in my previous post, a EOS 1DMIII RAW file is 3,888 x 2,592 pixels, but its sRAW file is not that size. An sRAW file is 1,936 x 1,288 pixels, or about 7.6 MB. 1936/300ppi = 6.45 inches on the long dimension, and 1288/300 = 4.29 inches. I think this is why your editor says your images are "too small". Check with your editor for the needed images sizes in pixels along each border of your image…

I cannot imagine an editor bothered by more than 2 Mpxl image sizes, but maybe they have a reason I am unaware of.

What is the end use your editor plans with your images - a printed article, photographs for sale, a web page, or a large poster or a billboard?

I see that Ziggy responded in your other thread as well, that the sRAW format may be too small for your needs, which is what I was pointing out in this post in my first few lines.

Use a RAW file, not an sRAW file, and get your editor to give you a needed image size in pixels for each border - not ppi, but number of pixels along each border of your files. If your files do not have sufficient pixels, they might be able to be uprezzed in Photoshop.

The editor I think is concerned with the dimensions. They like 10x7 or 7x10.
    edited December 3, 2013
    The editor I think is concerned with the dimensions. They like 10x7 or 7x10.

We still need to see one of your raw files. It would also help if you included your edited/cropped jpeg that is "too small" for your editor's needs.
    edited December 4, 2013
    The editor states, attempt to crop at 10x7. I would NOT crop at 300dpi or 3000 by 2000 though because that makes the image 18mb in size.

I think you REALLY need to get a handle on:

1. photo dimensions
    vs
    2. File size
    vs
    ppi

This seems to be confusing you and clouding your comments.

10x7 is a frame shape. 300dpi is a printer resolution and has no bearing on anything discussed here. 3000x2000 has NOTHING to do with the file size in Mb. A 3000x2000 file could just as easily be 20Mb as 2Mb.
    edited December 4, 2013
    I'm not confused, just simply trying figure out what the editor is looking for.
    edited December 4, 2013
    Chris, just ask the editor what specific size image he needs in actual pixels, along each margin of the image, not ppi or dpi, or even megapixels. The number of megapixels for a given image size in pixels, varies greatly by the type of image. A high frequency image with lots of tiny details yields a large file, while a low frequency graphic image with just a few colors yields a much, much smaller file in Mpxls. Both images can still be the same size in actual pixels, even though they are quite different in file size.

I wrote a little blog about Resolution, Image Size, and Dots per Inch here - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Other/Resolution-Resizing-and-Dots/2246604_8fVpw8

As perroneford stated, dpi is a printer term describing how many dots of ink per inch a printer puts on paper - typically an ink jet printer puts down anywhere from 4 to 10 droplets of ink for each individual pixel in an image. Ink jet printers are designed to keep the ink droplets small enough that they are not visible to the naked eye.

Individual pixels in an image, however, may or may not be visible, depending on how many pixels there are in the image, AND the size the image is to be displayed.

Resolution - ppi or pixels per inch - is chosen/determined by the artist at the time of printing, displaying, via editing.

A camera sensor just captures a fixed number of pixels in an image - the number CAN be varied by user via the menus the camera manufacturer builds into the camera, but there is a specific finite maximum inherent in the sensor chip. For a 1DMkIII it is 3,888 x 2,592 pixels. These pixels can be uprezzed in Photoshop or Adobe Camera Raw if needed… But no gain in real data occurs with uprezzing.

edited December 4, 2013
    I'm not confused, just simply trying figure out what the editor is looking for.

You are confused, or at least much of what you've posted so far confuses things considerably.

Have you tried communicating directly with the editor? If he can't tell you what he's looking for, it's hard to see how anyone here can tell you.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2013
    Someone is confused and or not explaining themselves to the other.

I wouldn't continue a conversation like this vie email. I would speak on the phone or Skype. Otherwise you could be at this for the rest of the millennium.

I have a 16 bit Tiff image that is 114 MB. If I convert it to 8 bit and save as a jpg with the lowest compression it will be about 15.6 BM. If I use the maximum compression rate I will have a
    877 KB 8 bit jpg file.

All have the same pixel dimensions.

Pixel dimensions are what your camera is capable of or what you are left with after cropping.

File size is dependent on bit depth, and file type. A tiff file is uncompressed and is very large. A jpg file type can be saved using a sliding scale that determines the amount of compression used. The more the file is compressed the smaller the file will be.

When opened the file is uncompressed and displays the entire image, and if then re-saved without any compression it will be substantially larger than the compressed jpg you downloaded.

I have not said anything the others have not said, but I think I stated the facts differently.

Sam
    edited December 4, 2013
    Thanks Sam. I'll schedule a call with them.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2013
    Thanks Sam. I'll schedule a call with them.

Please let me know what the outcome is.

Sam