Options

Facebook thumbnail preview - how to change it??

fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
edited December 3, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi all
If I want to post my website homepage on Facebook, what happens is that the thumbnail preview will be my SM profile photo, the one that appears on my contact form :nah.
Being it a headshot of myself (which is ok for contact purposes), I'd rather change the image that should display when I link my site, for instance, to Facebook.
Is there any way to do so?

Comments

• Options
    edited November 21, 2013
    No hints at all?? :help:help:help
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    I'll bet this isn't modifiable. Just a guess.
    So - how about put another image on your About page, a snippet of one of your good photos, that will look good as a tiny size on FB, and have your self-photo be another photo block on the page?
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I'll bet this isn't modifiable. Just a guess.
    Looks like you are right on this; I browsed the forums in search of answers to this issue but all I could find is, someway, confirming your speculation.
    There's something else a bit weird though:
    1 - I changed my profile picture a few hours ago but if I post on Facebook a link to my website it will still appear with the previous thumbnail
    2 - I changed yesterday the Homepage Meta Description for my website and it already appears as such in Google search results; but again when posting a link to my site on FB it will show old meta description headscratch.gifscratch
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    hmm the only way I'm able to do this is to post through my FB - Business page and then share it to my personal wall or someone else's. Because it gives you an extra option to upload a picture when I make a new posting sharing a website. So I simply took a screen shot of my website and used that. Yes I at first see my profile pic from smugmug BUT right under that there is an upload option.

Hope that helps, thats the only way I know how to do it on FB.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2013
    hmm the only way I'm able to do this is to post through my FB - Business page and then share it to my personal wall or someone else's. Because it gives you an extra option to upload a picture when I make a new posting sharing a website. So I simply took a screen shot of my website and used that. Yes I at first see my profile pic from smugmug BUT right under that there is an upload option.

Hope that helps, thats the only way I know how to do it on FB.
    It does work, tx, although a bit complicated; also while I do have a FB page, it's not related to my SmugMug site for which I'd like to post links on my FB profile headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2013
    Aaaaaargh! I changed my profile picture two days ago already but if I post my website on FB the thumbnail still shows the old one......:bluduh:bluduh
    A pilgrimage to Lourdes would help???
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2013
    I am so frustrated...now the new thumbnail do appear but it's an awkwardly cropped big image

0638.png

Nothing to do with how it looks on my contact page

irvz.png

The original file is 400x400/72px
    What's wrong then??????????? :bluduh:bluduh:bluduh:bluduh:bluduh
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    fabthi wrote: »
    I am so frustrated...now the new thumbnail do appear but it's an awkwardly cropped big image

0638.png

Nothing to do with how it looks on my contact page

irvz.png

The original file is 400x400/72px
    What's wrong then??????????? :bluduh:bluduh:bluduh:bluduh:bluduh

Any hint on how to fix the above?????? :help:help:help:help:help
  • Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited December 3, 2013
    I don't know for sure if this will do it in the new system, but adding the open graph tags to your meta description may work:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1079599/facebook-post-link-image
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help