Options

Event page customization

BLRBDBLRBD Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited December 4, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I just created my first event page but can't figure out how to make it look like my other gallery pages. The customize option on the toolbar isn't showing up so I can only see an edit event button.

http://www.padgetphotographic.com/event/2013-CHS-Varsity-Football/Xd6zJ8IimF2Yc

This is an example of how I would like it to look (used CSS to get rounded corners and spacing).
http://www.padgetphotographic.com/Alma-College-Football-1/2013-Alma-Football-Photos

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to learn to use events more but I don't like directing someone to a page that doesn't look right...

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    The ID's on these event pages are regenerated with each page refresh so I don't see any
    way to customize. And they did not add any static class names for targeting.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    flyingwolfflyingwolf Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    This is major issue, not only can you not customize it to match the event, (sports etc), but many of the customizations made on your main pages such as the size of breadcrumbs etc is ignored on these event pages. So you get an inconsistent experience which frankly looks amateurish.
  • Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited December 3, 2013
    If you added the code to do that to your Entire Site customization then the event should use that code. But it looks like you have much of it duplicated on your homepage and other pages instead of just having it on all your pages. And if you are worried about modifying the galleries you can have the block of code for rounding everything like you have, then add a second portion of .sm-page-gallery css to set it back.
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Smug Eric wrote: »
    If you added the code to do that to your Entire Site customization then the event should use that code. But it looks like you have much of it duplicated on your homepage and other pages instead of just having it on all your pages. And if you are worried about modifying the galleries you can have the block of code for rounding everything like you have, then add a second portion of .sm-page-gallery css to set it back.

What code? The option for the small breadcrumbs is an option on the customizer. It is only available under "All Folders" and below. It is not available on Homepage or Entire Site. As such it does not affect the Events pages. I cannot create CSS to target the Events pages as the tags are randomly generated on page refresh and so cannot be targeted.

The rounded edges do show in the Events, but the rest looks like I forgot to apply my customizations, its jarring.

Some of it is duplicated and will be eventually removed and consolidated. I am waiting for SmugMug to be done with adding and removing what can and cannot be used.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Sorry I should have been more specific, that answer was to help BLRBD get the rounded corners on the events page, as that will inherit the entire site customization. The code is not on your entire site CSS. but is instead only on your homepage and folders customization. So you copy that code into a CSS content block on your entire site. Then you add a second bit of code using the .sm-page-gallery to start it and set the thumbs back to default in your gallery pages.

flyingwolf for changing the breadcrumb though you could do the same, drag a CSS content block onto the entire site customization. In that you specify how you want the breadcrumb to be formatted for pages like the event page since there isn't a specific ID you can use for it. Then you can differentiate in the code how you want it to look on gallery pages with .sm-page-gallery and your homepage and folders can be specified using either the generic .sm-page-node or if you want to modify a specific one .sm-page-node-GspjH grabbing that from firebug of whatever you use to modify just that specific page. The key on the end of that is that pages ID which will be unique to each.
    Eric
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Sorry I should have been more specific, that answer was to help BLRBD get the rounded corners on the events page, as that will inherit the entire site customization. The code is not on your entire site CSS. but is instead only on your homepage and folders customization. So you copy that code into a CSS content block on your entire site. Then you add a second bit of code using the .sm-page-gallery to start it and set the thumbs back to default in your gallery pages.

flyingwolf for changing the breadcrumb though you could do the same, drag a CSS content block onto the entire site customization. In that you specify how you want the breadcrumb to be formatted for pages like the event page since there isn't a specific ID you can use for it. Then you can differentiate in the code how you want it to look on gallery pages with .sm-page-gallery and your homepage and folders can be specified using either the generic .sm-page-node or if you want to modify a specific one .sm-page-node-GspjH grabbing that from firebug of whatever you use to modify just that specific page. The key on the end of that is that pages ID which will be unique to each.

Eric, the problem is that the node is different for each of the gallery pages, this would mean needing to create custom code for each of the different galleries and having to add to it each time I created new events.

I think the real question here is, why are the events not customizable, and more importantly, why do they not follow the customizations that every other page has?
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2013
    flyingwolf wrote: »
    I think the real question here is, why are the events not customizable, and more importantly, why do they not follow the customizations that every other page has?

AMEN! I have stopped using the event pages due to this issue. I used to send them to my wedding couples. They look terrible.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2013
    Why are they like that, I don't know. But as I was saying you can use the .sm-page-gallery and ..sm-page-node to apply to all your galleries and pages at once without having to add different items for each gallery or page.
    Eric
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2013
    Why are they like that, I don't know. But as I was saying you can use the .sm-page-gallery and ..sm-page-node to apply to all your galleries and pages at once without having to add different items for each gallery or page.

Eric,

I did not pick that up the first time.

What would be the code needed here? Since the breadcrumbs are currently controlled via the customizer would I run into an issue of wanting to have enhanced breadcrumbs on one page for one reason or another?

I will certainly give this a try, but I am a photographer, not a coder.