Options

Camera Awesome for Android is Here

mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
edited December 5, 2013 in SmugMug Product News
i-WjknmC9-Ti.png

We’re not kidding. It’s finally here! We originally built the original Camera Awesome app for iPhone in 2012 and received such a huge wave of responses from mobile photographers all over the world. Since then, Camera Awesome has been downloaded by over 20 million iPhone users, but Android users asked us every single day when we’d have something for them.

Today’s your lucky day, Android!

What’s the deal? Why should I use it?

Camera Awesome is your ticket to taking great photos at any moment of the day. It’s a powerful, easy-to-use camera app perfect for photographers (but easy enough for non-photographers). It’s for creative people who love capturing their everyday memories and sharing them with those who matter most.

Unlike other camera apps, Camera Awesome combines
  • a powerful, easy-to-use camera feature that helps you take fabulous photos and videos,
  • a creative suite of editing tools – including the one-tap Awesomize button
  • tons of filters, textures and frames
  • an integrated share function that lets you save or send your photos.

i-BVT7b2j-M.png
i-fHht7H7-M.png

You don’t need a SmugMug account to use Camera Awesome. But we recommend it because we’re all about backups, archivability and peace of mind.

Will it work on my phone?

To hit the most popular phone models of the many out there, Camera Awesome works on the following:
  • Samsung Galaxy SIII, S4, Galaxy Nexus, Note 2, Note 3 (UPDATE: Currently the Play Store is excluding some Galaxy SIII devices. Hang tight! We’re working on a fix!)
  • Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, (Nexus 5 coming soon)
  • Sony Xperia Z, HTC One, MotoX, Motorola Droid Razr
  • Kindle Fire HDX 7″, 8.9″ coming soon to Amazon Apps

Since each phone and tablet is a special snowflake, we’ll keep adding to the list as time goes by. You can get the most up-to-date, detailed specs on our store page right here.

Where do I get it?

Right here, baby! It’s ready and waiting for you on the Google Play store.

i-nx9RzKF-M.png

Wait, it’s not free?

The initial (AKA iPhone) version of Camera Awesome was free to download and use, and we got a lot of feedback from users who wanted – and eventually purchased – the many premium filters and effects. With the Android version we decided to keep it simple and bundle the goodies right into the app, resulting in an easier process for you… and lots more to play with right from the start, for $2.99.

New to smartphone-ography?

Our very own world traveler, Michael Bonocore, shares his Top 10 Travel Photography Tips with Camera Awesome.

See what our friend, photographer, educator and Android user Colby Brown from the Giving Lens has to say about it!

What if I have problems?

Our support heroes are standing by to lend you a hand, as always. You can also refer to our Android help page here for a basic overview of what the different symbols mean and how you can get started.

Hey, what’s this SmugMug thing?

If you’re thinking about opening your own SmugMug account to store and archive the photos you shoot on your phone (or your DSLR), you can get started right from within the Camera Awesome app. It’s totally free for two whole weeks, and when you start your account from the app we’ll even throw in a 50% discount automagically.

Thanks to all of our Android fans who waited for this! We hope you love it as much as we do.

Comments

• Options
    jm94085jm94085 Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    This is great news!! However...it's not showing up in Google Play when I search from my device (Galaxy S3). Also...for those of us that have not had the privilege of using the app previously on an iphone, it would be great to offer a free trial period.
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    jm94085 wrote: »
    This is great news!! However...it's not showing up in Google Play when I search from my device (Galaxy S3). Also...for those of us that have not had the privilege of using the app previously on an iphone, it would be great to offer a free trial period.

It is supported, we have gotten in touch with the Play store and they will be fixing the error soon. Sorry!
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2013
    Thanks!
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    I found it by searching for "smugmug". It appears towards the bottom of the list.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    Hurry up for the Nexus 5 support, willya? Some of us get new devices the day they become available :uhoh
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Hurry up for the Nexus 5 support, willya? Some of us get new devices the day they become available :uhoh

Ha, I know, I know...we are on it Andy!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    I think Smug needs to reset their priorities and work on things needing fixing like keywords and not these apps.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2013
    Hmmm still not showing up in the Play store by searching (and I scrolled through all 250 offerings). Then got the official email announcement and followed the provided link into the store and it indicates that my Samsung Galaxy S3 is not supported? See attached image.

Screenshot_2013-11-12-12-41-05.jpg
  • Options
    piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    Thanks! Can;t wait for the Galaxy S3 to be recognized in the Play store! It still isn't on mine.clap.gif
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    S3 is supported, the Play store just has to do an update. Should be available for the S3 very soon.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    There are some video reviews out there on the internet (e.g. Phandroid.com). I really liked what I saw and I installed the app.

One question for the devs:
    In this Phandroid.com video-review, the review is done on an HTC One and it shows the availability of HDR. I have an HTC One as well but HDR is missing.
    Question: Why is the HDR option missing on my HTC One?

Two suggestions for improvement I have:
    Make the UI a bit less iOS-like, if possible.
    Make the app-launch time a bit faster.

So far, I like this app! :)
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    I think Smug needs to reset their priorities and work on things needing fixing like keywords and not these apps.

You say that as if putting people on Camera Awesome takes team members away from SmugMug core. More likely, they hired/contracted an Android developer who wouldn't have been working on SmugMug core anyway.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    You say that as if putting people on Camera Awesome takes team members away from SmugMug core. More likely, they hired/contracted an Android developer who wouldn't have been working on SmugMug core anyway.
    Well, ahem... Bonocore seems to have spent plenty of time on it! The announcing itself took lots of time with all the shots & descriptions & his Top 10, etc. Consequently, that's time he's not able to use to convey more important problems that people take time to describe here.

And surely there are a few other people who could've & should've been working on these hundreds of bugs that go back to August, bugs that are getting no love. I mean, Camera Awesome may be fine; idk... but I know there are plenty of other camera apps that get much higher reviews & evidently the UI is confusing. The point is do we really need another app? No. We need many bugs to get knocked off the list every single week, & that is not happening.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
    Allen wrote: »

Allen, rest assured, these are two completely different teams. No one who works on New SmugMug also works on Camera Awesome, so it is not taking any dev time away from SmugMug.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
    Well, ahem... Bonocore seems to have spent plenty of time on it! The announcing itself took lots of time with all the shots & descriptions & his Top 10, etc. Consequently, that's time he's not able to use to convey more important problems that people take time to describe here.

Lisa, I am traveling. Your issues with New Smugmug have been conveyed to the appropriate teams. They are out of my hands. But it looks like you still haven't migrated, so hard to make a case to them for issues you talk about.
    And surely there are a few other people who could've & should've been working on these hundreds of bugs that go back to August, bugs that are getting no love

Hundreds? Bit of a stretch I would say. And as I said, and Android or iOS developer has zero workings with SmugMug.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »

You are indeed correct. Thanks Lamah.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Ha, I know, I know...we are on it Andy!

Thanks - Nexus 5 support was added overnight - it works great!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
    We need many bugs to get knocked off the list every single week, & that is not happening.

Good grief! Why don't you take a look at the photo at the bottom of http://www.smugmug.com Anna Lisa. Look at the size of the company. If you think the same people that do Android product are the ones that would fix the bugs you are talking about, you're sadly mistaken.

Also, it's not "another app" it's support for a wildly popular and loved app on a platform that SmugMug promised a long time ago.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Lisa, I am traveling. Your issues with New Smugmug have been conveyed to the appropriate teams. They are out of my hands. But it looks like you still haven't migrated, so hard to make a case to them for issues you talk about.

Hundreds? Bit of a stretch I would say. And as I said, and Android or iOS developer has zero workings with SmugMug.

Many of the issues are why I haven't migrated. That should be a case in itself! (AS you know, I'm certainly not alone!!!) The ones causing the most problems for actual migration are the keyword-based ones. Until they're fixed, it's no use. Also, the various privacy issues are confusing enough when they're working properly. I need to know that they're all working properly before I waste time creating settings for hundreds of galleries. Then there's the lack of commenting possibilities... and the lack of bulk collecting. The SmugMug style galleries, which is what I have everywhere, are just a mess in NewSmug. Oh, why do I even waste my breath. I've told so many people all of this before.

Anyway, yes, hundreds. Yes, there are only maybe 30 + bugs on the Active list. But many major bugs aren't even on it, including the logged-out problem that so many people have complained about for months. I see how many bugs go un-acknowledged... and SmugMug could see that too if they'd have more people working on bugs.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2013
    Many of the issues are why I haven't migrated. That should be a case in itself! (AS you know, I'm certainly not alone!!!) The ones causing the most problems for actual migration are the keyword-based ones. Until they're fixed, it's no use. Also, the various privacy issues are confusing enough when they're working properly. I need to know that they're all working properly before I waste time creating settings for hundreds of galleries. Then there's the lack of commenting possibilities... and the lack of bulk collecting. The SmugMug style galleries, which is what I have everywhere, are just a mess in NewSmug. Oh, why do I even waste my breath. I've told so many people all of this before.

Anyway, yes, hundreds. Yes, there are only maybe 30 + bugs on the Active list. But many major bugs aren't even on it, including the logged-out problem that so many people have complained about for months. I see how many bugs go un-acknowledged... and SmugMug could see that too if they'd have more people working on bugs.

If you can provide a list of the hundreds of bugs, with screenshots on your site, I can forward those on behalf of you. There really isn't much to privacy. Public, unlisted, and private are the 3 privacy settings for galleries, folders, and pages. They work as desired. The SmugMug gallery style also is working as desired, so I do not see any bugs in your descriptions above.

As far as I have heard, you are the only person who refuses to migrate. I have mentioned this before, but Dgrin is not the end all for bug reporting. If you think you have found a bug, please submit it to help@smugmug.com with screenshots on your site for attention. Dgrin is a community that helps each other. Yes, I can look at the cases I see, but again, this is no guarantee of an official bug submission unless it is added to the active bug list. Please contact help@smugmug.com with screenshots for your bugs if you want them to have a guaranteed look by SmugMug.

Also, Anna Lisa, please remember. There will be a day where you will not have access to Legacy anymore. I cannot guarantee everything on your wish list will be available at that time, so my recommendation would be to migrate and actually start building your new SmugMug site. I think you may like it more than you want to believe.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2013

And Anna Lisa, this conversation is about Camera Awesome. Please respect other members who actually wish to come to this thread and read about Camera Awesome, not about New SmugMug. Any further talk of New Smugmug on this thread will be deleted in violation of the TOS.
  • Options
    digitalmonkeydigitalmonkey Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2013
    Hi. I purchased Camera Awesome today, but unfortunately I had to get a refund. I watched the video review from Phandroid, and I immediately went to Google Play and purchased the app. I didnt see some of the features that the video reviewer showed, so I went back to the Google Play store to read the comments. I noticed in the "notes" section that Samsung devices doesnt support exposure points. Bummer. I also dont see the HDR feature that was shown in the video review. Samsungs camera app has an HDR function, is this feature also not supported in Camera Awesome? Out of curiosity, whats the tehcnical reason that exposure points are not supported on Samsung phones?
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2013
    Hi. I purchased Camera Awesome today, but unfortunately I had to get a refund. I watched the video review from Phandroid, and I immediately went to Google Play and purchased the app. I didnt see some of the features that the video reviewer showed, so I went back to the Google Play store to read the comments. I noticed in the "notes" section that Samsung devices doesnt support exposure points. Bummer. I also dont see the HDR feature that was shown in the video review. Samsungs camera app has an HDR function, is this feature also not supported in Camera Awesome? Out of curiosity, whats the tehcnical reason that exposure points are not supported on Samsung phones?

Heya DigitalMonkey,

I am really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, not all Android makers allow for 3rd parties to get access to certain features of the cameras. If they allow access, rest assured, we included it. This was obviously not the case with Samsung :cry
  • Options
    Djm3006Djm3006 Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2013
    Great Camera to have on the phone.
    would be nice to be able to change the file name before uploading to SM gallery