Options

Canon 1DIII Image Size Question

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited December 5, 2013 in Cameras
I switched from a Canon 7D to Canon 1DIII for shooting sports. With the Canon 7D I could chose between SRAW, MRAW and LRAW. With the 1DIII, their is RAW, SRAW, SRAW+L, SRAW+M1, SRAW+M2, SRAW+S. I shoot in SRAW and caption in Photomechanic. I edit and save as a jpeg in photoshop but and send to the editor about 2MB files. The editor says that they are coming to him as 7mb uncompressed, however, I see them as 2MB files when they being FTP'd. I open them up and they look fine to me. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited November 23, 2013
    Check the jpeg quality on saving maybe (before you FTP them)?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2013
    All the photos were saved around 2MB's before FTPing.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2013
    I must be missing the question. You edit the raw file, save as a jpeg and ftp it then there's a reasonable explanation for the difference in size.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2013
    I guess I need to increase the image size in the camera. I'm not sure exactly what the difference between RAW+L and RAW.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2013
    I would think RAW is the full 10mp RAW file, and L is a 10mp jpeg. So RAW+L would be a RAW and a jpeg, at full res.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2013
    I would think RAW is the full 10mp RAW file, and L is a 10mp jpeg. So RAW+L would be a RAW and a jpeg, at full res.

This. Also, be sure the quality for the exported file is much better.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2013
    I checked my files again and they were all FTP'd at 2MB's so I'm not sure what the editor is stating.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2013
    It appears that my settings are off either in my camera or my Photomechanic application in regards to compression. I wonder if my AT&T hotspot is changing the compression when I FTP my files?
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2013
    I sure hope your carrier/hardware isn't make decisions about data for you.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2013
    I'm just grasping at straws now.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    Long story short, my editor states that my files are too small as they 7 MB uncompressed. He thinks my settings in my camera or Photomechanic need to be changed. My work flow consists of: take photos with Canon 1D Mark III in RAW, Ingest Raw files to Photomechanic, add caption, rename file, open RAW photo in Photoshop and edit. Once I edit photo, I save it as a jpeg file. At this point my files are close to 2 MB. I then FTP to files using Cyberduck.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    photodad1 wrote: »
    Long story short, my editor states that my files are too small as they 7 MB uncompressed. He thinks my settings in my camera or Photomechanic need to be changed. My work flow consists of: take photos with Canon 1D Mark III in RAW, Ingest Raw files to Photomechanic, add caption, rename file, open RAW photo in Photoshop and edit. Once I edit photo, I save it as a jpeg file. At this point my files are close to 2 MB. I then FTP to files using Cyberduck.

Do you by any chance, edit in Adobe Camera Raw? If so, open a CR2 file and look at the bottom of the Raw editor and what do you see? You should see something like:

Maybe you're opening the Raw file at a lower resolution than you think?
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    I don't have Adobe Camera Raw. I use Elements 11.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    I don't have Adobe Camera Raw. I use Elements 11.

That's OK. When you open a Raw file, you will see the same tool.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,835 moderator
    edited December 3, 2013
    I believe that you are shooting to SRAW. Shoot to RAW instead. That will increase the pixel count and please your editor, as well as give you some extra cropping opportunity. It also tends to help with banding that tends to creep in if you need to push the exposure.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    You might want to have a look at this article on reduced resolution raw images.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Good article, thanks.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,835 moderator
    edited December 3, 2013
    I switched from a Canon 7D to Canon 1DIII for shooting sports. ... I shoot in SRAW and caption in Photomechanic. I edit and save as a jpeg in photoshop but and send to the editor about 2MB files. The editor says that they are coming to him as 7mb uncompressed, however, I see them as 2MB files when they being FTP'd. I open them up and they look fine to me. Any suggestions?

These are two different descriptions of your workflow. If you are shooting to SRAW/sRAW, switch to RAW instead.

In the Canon 1D Mark III, sRAW is only going to generate a 1936x1288 or approximately a 2.5 megapixel image. That's what your editor is complaining about. Switch to the full-sized RAW to get the 10 megapixel images.

Forget about shooting RAW+JPG in order to keep the file transfer speeds acceptable. (You can always generate JPGs afterwards from the RAW files. They just slow down your capture and transfer speeds when you do that in-camera.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Thanks Ziggy, I'll switch to full RAW.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2013
    Thanks Ziggy, I'll switch to full RAW.

Well there's your problem.

You seem to be talking in circles. What exactly are the pixel dimensions of the images you are sending?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2013
    I'm talking in circles, just trying to figure out exactly what the editor is looking for. I don't think he really knows. He keeps talking ratios and DPI which has nothing to do with it. I'll start shooting RAW and cropping less.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2013
    Sigh. What exactly are the pixel dimensions of the images you are sending?
    -Jack