Options

Chicago Sun Times Lays off photographers.

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
edited December 5, 2013 in The Big Picture
Chicago Sun Times Lays off Entire Photo Staff

Headline says it all. Sad day when 28 people lose their jobs.
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,185 moderator
    edited May 31, 2013
    Worse yet, it affects the entire Sun-Times Media Group, which includes dozens of suburban publications as well. Maybe I'll be shooting more now. I had better learn to use the video side of my dSLR.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2013
    I also happen to think we'll be seeing fewer 'professional' photographs and more 'amateur' submissions. TV news already shows cell phone video for some stories today.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,918 moderator
    edited June 2, 2013
    Sad news. They're obviously trying to cut costs--which is understandable--but the quality will suffer. I'm not sure it's a good strategy. Seems to me that they're not going to be able to compete with other (largely free) media unless they offer compelling content, writing and images that people will be willing to pay for. Dunno. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2013
    I think the strategy is to reduce cost and have contractors and the public submit video that can be used by other outlets. I sort of feel like this signals the beginning of the end for printed newspapers. We may easily see the Chicago Sun Times as an e-paper whose stories are a mixture of video and text. Maybe a few stills picked off the video ne_nau.gif

I'm not sure how long having crappy video (ie; cell phone) or crappy & meaningless still images will be acceptable though.
  • Options
    LinusMLinusM Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2013
    Crappy content will win through as long as they have some kind of circulation figure. I worked within the National newspapers for the last 20 years and could see the writing on the wall within the first few years of being there.

Too many big fish in an ever declining pool - I jumped out. Its the best thing I could have done. Journalism is a very demoralising industry these days, a shame but the glory days went years ago. now its just cheap stories and readers photos :-(
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited December 5, 2013
    Sun-Times, union deal would bring back 4 photographers

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-sun-times-photographers-20131203,0,420997.story

"Sun-Times Media, publisher of the Chicago Sun-Times, has agreed to hire back four fired photographers as part of a new collective bargaining agreement, according to a union spokesman.

The tentative three-year agreement with the Chicago Newspaper Guild, which was ratified Monday night by employees at the Chicago Sun-Times and Northwest Indiana Post-Tribune, also includes a lump sum payment of $2,000 for fired photographers not rehired."

From 28 to 4 photographers, and only $2,000 severance pay for the 24 not rehired. Still a pretty good deal for the Sun-Times Media.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums