A quick engagement session

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited June 2, 2014 in Weddings
Did a short engagement session for a friend of mine. It was way colder than I anticipated, and I miscalculated the available light.. but I think it worked alright.

1)
p664174038-3.jpg

2)
p605901207-3.jpg

3)
p363190698-3.jpg

4)
p720108517-3.jpg

5)
p646569858-3.jpg

6)
p938376220-3.jpg

7)
p30191418-4.jpg

thoughts? feedback?
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    I really like 5, 6 and 7...I think those shots are flattering to the couple and interesting to look at. #5 looks like it is leaning slightly to the right to me, although I'm not sure that it really is... I think the texture of #7 is cool...especially their clothes (which I suspect strongly reflects their character and taste?). I do wonder whether it would look a bit more inviting with a warm cast to it...it does look pretty cold and bleak. Just a thought.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    Thank you for your feedback.

yes, #5 appears to be leaning; I'll have to correct that.
    #7 I made in that way as they both are fans of Sons of Anarchy (and overall style), and I felt that they looked like a young biker couple. The couple was provided with the full color version as well, I just happened to like this one better.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    eant to post on this before now - I LOVE this set!! Colours and light are beautiful, 2/4 are really creative comp, and 5 is a terrific traditional shot with a modern vibe. Love 'em!
    edited December 9, 2013
    I think I actually teared up for a moment.
    Thank you Diva, this means a whole lot :D
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • kobistarkobistar Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2013
    i really liked number 4
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2013
    Aw ~blush~

The only one I'd lose is 3 - it's not flattering to her (muffin top in that position), and because they're both looking away like that it seems like somebody else is taking the picture and you're just an observer. I don't mind not-into-lens shots, but this one just feels a bit odd.

And I still love the light, colours, and creative comps! thumb.gif
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    I agree with #7 then...Sons of Anarchy as a style is a bit bleak, to me, for an engagement shot, but if that is something the couple likes, then great! :) I do like it objectively and it is a well done shot.
    edited December 10, 2013
    thank you very much, everyone.
    Diva, I agree, it is not a very flattering; my goal in this shoot was to make the lad look larger than he is... Went a bit overboard with it, methinks.

And yes, #7 is a bleak one, absolutely. This was the last shot we went for, I lost of the light by then, and wanted to try something different. While the outcome is what I had in mind, I was a bit surprised that I managed to pull it off. Truly wish I had bikes or some sort of SOA memorabilia available for the shot.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2013
    Foques, these are great! Especially love 1,4,5, and 6. Really diggin #4 for the story telling alone. Great job capturing the ring, and her reaction through the bokeh!

Only shot I dislike is #2. I get the idea you were going for, by getting her ring in focus, but it just feels off to me. Overall, great job though. I get that modern-lifestyle vibe outta these!
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
    edited December 13, 2013
    thank you sir.

in #2, the hand doesn't look comfortable, I bet that's what feels off to you. It feels off to me, too :)
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • MarcoGMarcoG Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2014
    Beautiful shots ...
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2014
    Nice shots. Was #4 staged for the photo or was it really an unexpected moment for her? If so that just makes way cooler then it already is! You tried getting creative w/ the crop on #2? maybe cropping the image where the ring is the dominate subject may change its look. Either way there geat pics.
    edited January 30, 2014
    Thanks for looking.
    It was a staged shot; they've been engaged for a while now.
    I would have liked to manage a closer shot in #2, but I do not have a macro.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • lightcatcher2014lightcatcher2014 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2014
    Good ideas. #2 is kind of not working for me. I realize the ring was the point of the shallow DOF, but with the larger body in the background is not clear.

#3 exposes the client's bad body shape by having them sitting and bending their abdominal. Like the standing images better.

#7 could be composed better I guess. It looks very aggressive pose.

The engagement session mood and feeling should be gentle, loving, passionate, soft.

Cheers
    --
    Trifon Anguelov
    Portrait and Wedding Photographer, Mountain View, CA

http://www.weddingphotographyblogger.com
    edited March 6, 2014
    Hey Trifon.
    thank you for your feedback. I completely agree with #2 and #3.

your assessment of #7 makes me happy, however. This is exactly what I was going for.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • valdanovaldano Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    Wow. These are stunning. Just so simple and full of character. Lovely set! Love them all.