Options

Cards

MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
edited December 7, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Just received my first order of cards. Very nice. Impressed!

One question: How do I add an image to the back? My logo for example.

I also like to include a small 'slice' of the main fron image on the back and name the card.
Finishes the card nicely and gives it a more polished look.

Is this possible?
Cheers,
Monte

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    Montec wrote: »
    Just received my first order of cards. Very nice. Impressed!

One question: How do I add an image to the back? My logo for example.

I also like to include a small 'slice' of the main fron image on the back and name the card.
    Finishes the card nicely and gives it a more polished look.

Is this possible?
    This use to be easily done by creating the card and downloading the image. The image was the four
    sides flatten out. Then you could add/modify anything on the card and upload the changed one.

Now the image in the gallery is a 3D front view and down loading that image gives you a 3D front
    view, completely useless other then for display purposes. Visitors only see the front in the gallery.

Here's an example of the an old created card, downloaded, modified and uploaded. Added photo and
    text to back, free text to inside bottom and used different font on inside top.
    1606434853_SnCd3DR-S.jpg
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    bobbyhero wrote: »
    ^ check out Allen's response
    We need to download the 5x7 flat image. Not that 3D view.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2012
    So....it WAS possible and now it's not? That's a shame.

Allen...you seem to want this back very bad :)
    I agree with you, that seemed like a good workaround. Any plans to help us out with this? Has it been discussed with the Heros?

Thanks for the explanation.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2012
    The card creator allows the gallery owner to make changes to cards after they're created. That among other reasons means there is no more flat image to download. That was only an option on the old card creator due to the way that that old creator worked. I'm sorry, but the old card creator is no longer available.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2012
    I understand that the previous and more useful card creator has been discontinued but I was asking if there is any plans to allow us to customize the back and inside of the cards with this new card editor?
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2012
    Montec wrote: »
    I understand that the previous and more useful card creator has been discontinued but I was asking if there is any plans to allow us to customize the back and inside of the cards with this new card editor?
    The card designs are fixed beyond what's available in the card creator (enter and format text, and add photos). If you'd like to suggest a new feature or change, you could add a suggestion to the SmugMug feedback pages.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jachangjachang Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2013
    Customize back of card with my logo, etc.
    I'm still not clear on how this works. In the card creator, it looks like the customer can design the back of the card with text. So what's to keep them from adding something like, "Created by Mr. Customer"? which immediately takes all of my branding away.

Is there a way to automatically include our own logos and text on the backs of the cards (at least the folded ones) so that we keep our branding? There's no point in selling cards with someone else's name and info on them.

I've been redirecting people to my FineArtAmerica site for cards, where at least my name is automatically on the back.

Maybe I just don't know how to do this with SmugMug? Could I go in after the customer designs the card and redesign the back before shipping?
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2013
    jachang wrote: »
    I'm still not clear on how this works. In the card creator, it looks like the customer can design the back of the card with text. So what's to keep them from adding something like, "Created by Mr. Customer"? which immediately takes all of my branding away.

This is a huge issue. I don't make cards here just for this very reason.
    jachang wrote: »
    Is there a way to automatically include our own logos and text on the backs of the cards (at least the folded ones) so that we keep our branding? There's no point in selling cards with someone else's name and info on them.

This would be so useful to us who sell a ton of cards! I purchased over 3000 cards from another site simply because I could add my custom branding to the back. I travel around to trade fairs and sell packets of wildlife cards, a big part of my business. Big reason why I will probably not renew as a Pro sadly.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2013
    You can again create your own cards from scratch in your preferred photo editing program and allow customers to buy the cards you created on your computer. The specifications that your filles need to have can be found here.

Note that you cannot download and use any of the SmugMug card creator layouts for that as these layouts are not available for download.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2013
    You can again create your own cards from scratch in your preferred photo editing program and allow customers to buy the cards you created on your computer. The specifications that your filles need to have can be found here.

Note that you cannot download and use any of the SmugMug card creator layouts for that as these layouts are not available for download.

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, I did that for a couple of cards a few years ago, but it was a total PIA. Not only did I have to do all the steps you described, but since the finished product isn't really a very good presentation, I then had to make a mockup of how the card would look when finished, similar to something like this:
    i-j9VFdJ3-S.jpg Then I had to include an explanation for potential customers that their cards would actually look like cards when they were finished.

It would be so much easier for everyone if we could just have a preconfigured branding to put on the card's back--or even if SM could just add the owner's name, at least.

Is there any hope for this someday?
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2013
    It's so much easier to just use another card maker directly.
    SM loses tons of profit because of this, and for unknown reasons, have made the flawed interface much harder to use, not easier.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2013
    smurfy wrote: »
    It's so much easier to just use another card maker directly.
    SM loses tons of profit because of this, and for unknown reasons, have made the flawed interface much harder to use, not easier.

Yeah, it's quite discouraging, especially since I'm still hurting from the outrageous price increases from SmugMug. You'd think they'd give us SOMETHING for the extra fee. Sigh...:(:
  • Options
    DelbeanDelbean Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2013
    another good site for cards is www.smilebooks.com
    Customizing the back of the card is an option there.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    This thread is pretty old--is there any update to adding our custom logo/info on the backs of cards? I just had a customer ask me about ordering, and I don't see any way to get the card to look like I want. I still have a private gallery in my site with cards that I made from the old "flat" version, and the buy button is still enabled for owner. Is that still something I can use where you create your own custom cards?