Options

Two You've Never Seen

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited December 7, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Let me first express kudos to the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. When this event was launched 17 years ago, I'm not sure that Bill Warner....the founder and driving force of the whole thing.... even dared to dream of the successes his efforts have produced. But with his determined leadership and the combined efforts of an " army " of dedicated folks, this concours has reached the very top.

A prestigious award was recently accorded to Mr. Warner and his creation for being the very best event of its type for 2013. That's quite a recognition when you consider that others under consideration included the magnificent Pebble Beach Concours and the significant London show.

I sort of wanted you to know what I've detailed above because the cars I'm going to show you now would most likely not have made the prime viewing field at any other world-class show. That fact, and the fact that they did make it at Amelia, harkens back to a central philosophy within the Amelia people.....embrace ALL aspects of the history of automobiles, mix some beautiful and some not so beautiful as long as each warrants such consideration. I personally believe that such a prevailing attitude is the prime reason this show has reached the top.

As a part of their 1955 GM Motorama Show, Cadillac reached back in time and resurrected the storied name of " La Salle ". They produced two cars for that years tour.....a La Salle II Roadster and a La Salle II Sedan. When the tour was over, both of these cars were returned to Detroit and consigned to a crusher for destruction. Such was the fate of most of these kind of vehicles produced as design exercises. In this case, however, these two cars were hidden away in a warehouse for years

The la Salle II Roadster and Sedan both show strong styling clues to the C2 Corvette.

The Roadster

Amelia%202013%20174-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20188-X3.jpg

The Sedan

Amelia%202013%20186-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20183-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited December 1, 2013
    Wow! That is amazing. The rear wheel on the sedan looks almost like some kind of torque convertor. Both are interesting looking cars.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    Wow! That is amazing. The rear wheel on the sedan looks almost like some kind of torque convertor. Both are interesting looking cars.

GM's Harley Earl was responsible for the design of both of these cars. Some of GM's best stuff during those times came from his fertile mind. I, too, find both to be very interesting.

Take care, Ian,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    Interesting...

Both seem to have some Oldsmobile characteristics to them.

Or maybe I'm still crazy ne_nau.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 7, 2013
    My thought as well, Randy.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    rwells wrote: »
    Interesting...

Both seem to have some Oldsmobile characteristics to them.

Or maybe I'm still crazy ne_nau.gif

I wouldn't dare comment on your insightful self-analysis. rolleyes1.gif Actually, I see influences on these show cars stemming from several of GM's product lines. It's a shame that we'll never see this kind of exuberance from American manufacturers ever again.

See you pard,

Tom
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    pathfinder wrote: »
    My thought as well, Randy.

Thanks for the visit. See, above, my remarks to Randy.

Tom