Options

Image commentary box size

silverstreakssilverstreaks Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited December 8, 2013 in SmugMug Support
In the old Smugmug software I was able to display Gallery images in various size formats up to Original and any accompanying commentary would be displayed along the whole length of the underneath of said image.

Despite my efforts all I'm achieving with the new setup is that any commentary is reduced to a shallow box to the left or disappears altogether until prompted by mouse movement.

Can anyone suggest a method for overcoming this.

The designs I'm currently using are Jasper or Dash

Regards
Bob
http://tracksrevisited.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    Try changing the Gallery Style (in the Gallery Settings) to SmugMug.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2013
    bobbyhero wrote: »
    Try changing the Gallery Style (in the Gallery Settings) to SmugMug.

Hmm --- I've just checked the Galleries and they were already set to the Smugmug setting, so alas no joy there.

Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    Despite my efforts all I'm achieving with the new setup is that any commentary is reduced to a shallow box to the left or disappears altogether until prompted by mouse movement.
    Hmm... that sounds like how titles and/or captions are displayed in Lightbox rather than in any of the Gallery styles. If so, there are some gems on Lamah's site that might help: http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Lightbox-captions
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Hmm... that sounds like how titles and/or captions are displayed in Lightbox rather than in any of the Gallery styles. If so, there are some gems on Lamah's site that might help: http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Lightbox-captions

Hi and thanks, I was very grateful for the link. I should have stated image captions in my thread heading and not commentary so apologies for the confusion caused.

I have had a look at the website in question and the interpretation of having the caption under the image. While his method has placed the captions in a static position (thus dispensing with the need to use the mouse to activate the caption) the image caption remains in a narrow box to the left thus forcing the wording down instead of across. I was hoping that he had found a solution whereby the caption would appear directly under and across the full width of the image in question irrespective of the image viewing size selected.

I have to own up and say I'm a novice when it comes to CSS and have in the past had to copy someone else's successful script, as was the case with my legacy website. However, in the case of caption positioning back then Smugmug provided this option within their set designs but not so now it seems

Regards
    Bob
    http://tracksrevisited.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    Add this CSS to that customisation:
    .sm-lightbox-basic .yui3-widget-ft .sm-lightbox-title,
    .sm-lightbox-basic .yui3-widget-ft .sm-lightbox-caption {
    	max-width:none !important;
    }

• Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    While his method has placed the captions in a static position (thus dispensing with the need to use the mouse to activate the caption) the image caption remains in a narrow box to the left thus forcing the wording down instead of across. I was hoping that he had found a solution whereby the caption would appear directly under and across the full width of the image in question irrespective of the image viewing size selected.
    Yes, I see what you mean. Part of the issue seems to be the row of icons bottom-right, if these could be relocated then maybe the caption could be coaxed across and centred.
    I have to own up and say I'm a novice when it comes to CSS and have in the past had to copy someone else's successful script...
    Nowt wrong with that, it saves us reinventing wheels.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    Ive been trying to load the CSS script from the site link provided on a unlisted gallery but I'm struggling.

This is my process first select the "Gallery" I wish to work on then choose Customise opting for "Just this gallery" then select "Content" Where do I go next to add the CSS script

If I drop down to the CSS box I can only drag the content box to the foot of the page and when I try to paste in the script nothing happens

I must be doing something wrong but the what

Help

Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    Are you saying that the actual paste doesn't cause any text to appear in the box? Try using a different web browser, SmugMug's editor can be a little janky in some oddball browsers.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited December 7, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    Are you saying that the actual paste doesn't cause any text to appear in the box? Try using a different web browser, SmugMug's editor can be a little janky in some oddball browsers.
    Not just oddball browsers - I've found I need to use IE with Smug's drag & drop, Chrome and Firefox are both problematic.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013

Yes that's what happens. I have copied your script and saved it on my PC. I've tried using an unlisted gallery creating a CSS content block to paste the script into but it wont show up in the content block

Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    Maybe try Denise's suggestion of dragging and dropping the text in instead of copy&pasting.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    Maybe try Denise's suggestion of dragging and dropping the text in instead of copy&pasting.
    I didn't mean to suggest dragging and dropping the text - I was confirming your comment about the browsers. I would consider both Firefox and Chrome to be mainstream and well-behaved browsers but I've been forced to use IE with smug. I've had problems with the other two.

It's always worth trying a problem action on a different browser.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    Guys, I'm long time user of IE
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    Guys, I'm long time user of IE
    If you're having trouble I would recommend trying a different browser. I'd recommend trying Firefox or Chrome.

As I said earlier IE is the browser I've been happiest with for new smug (I can't drag and drop in Smug with Firefox or Chrome) but there are some things in smug that won't work for me in IE.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    Ok using Chrome I've got it to work. While the caption now appears under the image for some reason there has been an adverse effect on the image size by increasing it beyond "Original" while also having an adverse effect on the Image Size ikon which no longer acts as it did prior to adding the script.

See this page for the effect http://tracksrevisited.smugmug.com/Listed/i-KGMq5PQ/A
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2013
    I've now updated the lightbox CSS to improve the behaviour of the image sizes menu:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1924197#post1924197

This should retain the scrolling behaviour of the standard SmugMug lightbox when you choose a size larger than the screen.

Since you're using right click protection, if you choose an image size which is smaller than the screen, it'll still be stretched to fill the screen, which will make it look fuzzy. There's not much useful reason to choose an image size smaller than the screen, though.