Options

Smugmug dual language site?

oceanocean Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
edited December 8, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

I have been using smugmug on a trial and am very happy with the results.

Only thing extra I really need for my photography site is that it is in two languages, English and French.

I saw someone managed to do this with the old smugmug but it looked very complicated.

My question is it possible to have smugmug in two langauges? :scratch If so how is this done?

Thanks for any help on the matter!

Comments

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    ocean wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been using smugmug on a trial and am very happy with the results.

Only thing extra I really need for my photography site is that it is in two languages, English and French.

I saw someone managed to do this with the old smugmug but it looked very complicated.

My question is it possible to have smugmug in two langauges? headscratch.gif If so how is this done?

Thanks for any help on the matter!

Hi Ocean!

Glad you got on here :)

I am not sure of any way to do what you are attempting. I am assuming you speak French? You "could" create 2 separate homepages, one in English and one in French, and the pages that branch off from the homepage go to the page built in that language.

You could have www.myhomepage.com go to your English language homepage and www.myhomepage.fr go to your French language homepage.

Hope this makes sense!

Michael
  • Options
    oceanocean Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    Hi Micheal,

Yes I speak both french and English!

I presume I could do this within the same smugmug site? All in www.myhomepage.com?

Or would I need two smugmug subscriptions?

Only other issue is the interface for selling prints would all be in English I presume.

Smugmug is a great template site and should consider branching out to include other lanuages!

mwink.gif
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    IIRC there was someone who used to do this in old smugmug but they used javascript so it won't work with the new site (I may be wrong on that but I'm fairly sure that's how they did it)

Michael's suggestion of myhomepage.com and myhomepage.fr will require two subscriptions as, as far as I know, as you can only CNAME one URL to one Smugmug site

If you want to use a single subscription (and why not) then you may be best to go with www.myhomepage.com/FR and www.myhomepage.com/EN as you can do that by just creating two folders called EN and FR and having your other galleries underneath. This has the nice advantage of letting you use translated names for galleries as well e.g. www.myhomepage.com/FR/Famille and www.myhomepage.com/EN/Family

But, there are few notes:

1. Remember to use capital letters for the first letter at least eg. www.myhomepage.com/fr won't work it has to be www.myhomepage.com/Fr or www.myhomepage.com/FR. You might be able to get it to work with www.myhomepage.com/fr BUT note that Smugmug don't really want you using lowercase letters to start gallery names so if you do so there is a risk it won't work in the future :(
    2. You will need to upload your photos twice, once for each gallery. A 'virtual' copy won't work as you are going to have to change the captions for each (virtual copies keep the same captions)
    3. There isn't a way of copying a whole gallery in Smugmug - uploading twice is the simplest option

That's all. I think I'm going to rearrange my galleries using this method as it is the nicest way of separating the language areas. We couldn't do it in old Smuggie because we could only go two folders deep but there isn't a limit now

Good luck

Richard
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    richpepp wrote: »
    Michael's suggestion of myhomepage.com and myhomepage.fr will require two subscriptions as, as far as I know, as you can only CNAME one URL to one Smugmug site

Thanks Rich! Great answer. It was like 2am when I wrote that, so I feared it wouldn't be clear enough. thumb.gif

I actually did mean to have all of this done through one SmugMug site. I was thinking that you would just domain forward myhomepage.fr to the folder xxxxx.smugmug.com/Fr

If you happen to not have any captions in your photos, then obviously you will only need the photos in one gallery to be displayed on both sites.

But yes, the OP is right. The cart will always be in English.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    papipoissonpapipoisson Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2013
    I have the same problem (French and English) for my site, wich is very simple (only for familly and friend's use, so things are quite less important than Ocean's: no cart language problem).
    Fortunately all french familly members read english, but my english friends have some trouble with french :(!

First I thought that one simple solution was to tweak the nav menu with two lines for each item, one in English and one in French. Navigation through folders and galleries are then very intuitive.
    I thought that some css code could do that.
    Unfortunately, my post in the customization forum got no answer..

Then, if this could be fixed, I only have few text boxes on my site and I have enough place to write things twice.

Keywords should not be a problem (no translation needed for the most of them), and I don't have much captions, or I can write them in both langages.
    And if we use twin folders or galleries (English and French - solution mentionned above) we have to type them twice....

Anyway, all suggestions about multi langages sites will be appreciated (some familly members speak German and greek.. :)) !

Jerome.