Options

Linking Galleries to navbar

NIPhotoNIPhoto Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited December 9, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
How can I link my galleries to my "galleries" button on my navbar? I see how to choose a page, but I really don't have a clue where I'm supposed to link them up. I have folders set up such as landscape, flowers, etc., then within the folders are galleries (mountain landscapes, desert landscapes, wildflowers, gardens, etc.) The rub is - I don't really want to show the folders/galleries on my home page. I want people to click on the navbar to get to my galleries. Or is that too old fashioned? I have the navbar there for all the other links I have (several pages, bio, etc.) To me it seems more consistent to use a button on the navbar to navigate my site. All my other links are working fine. It's just the folders/galleries I'm having fits with. Any help is appreciated. I know I'll have more questions as I slowly work through all these changes. :scratch

Note: I have not unveiled my new page.
Angela Classen - Natural Images Photography
Grand Junction, Colorado
http://www.angelaclassen.com/ Web site
http://angelaclassen.wordpress.com/ Photography Blog

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2013
    You dragged a navbar block to the top of your page, correct?
    If so, click the wrench on the top left corner of that block (it's in the highlighted color if you hover over the block).There's a tab for Links. Set up each link as you wish. You can turn on "open folder contents", which will bring in the galleries and folders inside a folder (drop-down sub links in the navbar). If you have sub-folders and sub-folders in them, for the link to the main folder, do not turn on "open subfolders". Instead put another link under the main folder and drag it slightly right. When you release it with the mouse it will be 'indented', signalling a sub-menu under the main folder. In that sub-menu link, turn on "show folder contents", so that those galleries populate as a sub-menu. In this latter case, if you also have single galleries in the main folder, they will not show in the navbar because you turned off "show folder contents" in the main folder. In this case make more links for those individual galleries.

You can make a navbar customized any way you want. For example I have a gallery that is its own main link on the navbar, but it's a gallery in a folder. I have that folder as it's own link too and I let the gallery populate there too. Just an example.
  • Options
    NIPhotoNIPhoto Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2013
    You've lost me.

Yes, I dragged a "menu" content block onto my home page and created all my "links" which show up as a navbar. When I click on the wrench, then menu, then links, it only shows "name" "link to" "URL" and "open link in new tab." If I select "link to" two more boxes appear "page I choose" & "pick one" which takes me back to my folders, but I can only choose one, not all.

I do not see the "open folder contents" or "show folder contents" you are talking about. What am I missing? Does this only show up after I've unveiled? I know that a lot of changes I've made aren't showing up when I preview the page. I can't unveil until I get the gallery issue figured out, at minimum. People will open my page and not see my galleries, which is not good eek7.gif
    Angela Classen - Natural Images Photography
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    http://www.angelaclassen.com/ Web site
    http://angelaclassen.wordpress.com/ Photography Blog
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2013
    I'm sorry I lose you. I think you might be almost there. I think you want page I choose, and then your folders come uo as thumbnails. Highlight a folder. Or, Double click any folder to navigate to the folder, subfolder or gallery you want to be the link, and choose it.
    '

When you choose a folder, then the option to open folder contents will show up. This image shows it, I've opened one of my links (to a folder) to show it.

Instead of using Preview, which I've heard is buggy: when you're done, click Done at the top right, and then Publish. This is private to you only. Skip preview altogether.

Yes I know what you mean, I have no intention of unveiling either, until I sort everything out.
  • Options
    topmedictopmedic Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2013
    Hi Chancy,

I'd like to enable the sub-folders on hover but I don't see the option that you have on your screenshot above. See my screenshot attached.

Thanks.

My site - http://www.willtakepicturesforfood.com/
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2013
    Go back to the list of links, the actual links. Click any folder link to edit it. The 'show contents' is there.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Go back to the list of links, the actual links. Click any folder link to edit it. The 'show contents' is there.

Hi. Not sure what you meant by actual links. I went to Customize and the wrench on the Links options and I don't see the Open Folder option when I click to edit. I'm probably going to the wrong place. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    I'm going to post 2 messages with 2 photos. This one, I clicked the wrench of the Menu block.
    Then clicked the 2nd tab, LINKS.
    My mouse is hovering over Earning Trust:
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Second, I clicked the Earning Trust link, which opened it to the settings I can change. Mouse is hovering over Include Folder Contents.

IF you have already done this and there is no Include option, that would be because you don't have galleries inside the link whose settings you're tweaking.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Also, if you have this:

Main Folder
    Subfolder A
    Gallery 1
    Gallery 2
    Subfolder B
    Gallery 3
    Gallery 4
    Gallery 5
    Gallery 6

Where #5 and 6 are inside the main folder but not inside a subfolder, then this is how to construct the navbar:

Main Folder Block (keep Open Folder Contents OFF)
    Subfolder A block (make the link, then drag the link to under and slightly to the right, so it becomes a sublink).
    for this one, turn Open Contents ON.
    Subfolder B block (repeat same as Subfolder A)
    Gallery 5 block (link directly to the gallery in Main Folder). Drag this link where you want it in the lineup and move it slightly right also
    Gallery 6 same as 5.

I edited the above because my first post lost the indenting.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Thank you.

Yes, it's the way I built my links. Great info. I will continue tweaking. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Nice! I like your full screen slide show on the home page too. :)
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Nice! I like your full screen slide show on the home page too. :)

Thank you :)
  • Options
    papipoissonpapipoisson Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2013
    I used all thoose tricks for my own site, and they work well except a little thing:

I have a classical folder tree: familly, travels, etc etc.
    One of thoose ("Voyages") has 24 galleries (one for each travel).

So, when I click on the "Voyages" item of my menu, I get a vertical list of the galleries that does not mach the screen: I can see 11 lines, but the other are far out of the window, and it seems that no scrolling works there.

Just see the screenshot I attached to this post.

1. Is this a bug or may I have missed some important thing?
    2. Basicaly my Nav Bar is set to "L" and "Capitalized" so it is more easy for people to read the items. I could try to make things smaller for the sub folders, so more lines could be available..
    Is there any possibility to tweak the sub items of a menu with special fonts sizes?
    3. Of course I can try to split my "Travel" folder in parts and have two (or more) menus items (Travel 1-- Travel 2--- etc). But not really a smart solution!

Thanks for any advice!

Jerome
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2013
    Hi Jerome, you might find something useful at http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=242136
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2013
    Thanks a lot for this link
    I'll read this carefully and I'll try it soon.
    Jerome
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2013
    I tried the CSS code for the scroling box, and it works fine! :)
    Just had to copy the CSS code in each theme I use to get it working everywhere!

Thanks again!

Jerome
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2013
    I tried the CSS code for the scroling box, and it works fine! :)
    Just had to copy the CSS code in each theme I use to get it working everywhere!

Thanks again!

Jerome
    Why not just put it in the "entire site" CSS?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2013
    Hi, Allen!

You are right, that is a very good remark!
    I did that first, but it seemed not to work properly.
    I'll check in details what I did wrong!

Jerome
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2013
    Hi again, Allen!

I checked all my settings, and I really had to put the CSS code in each CSS section of "Entire Site", "Folders", and "Galleries" to have it running everywhere.

What is strange is that my menu is only on the entire site section (with a logo and a little slideshow), and the the CSS code should work everywhere.

The only things that may change are the themes (Home page, Keywords page and Gallerie pages have différent themes), and a little CSS code to tweak items colors of the items menu in each theme when the mouse hovers over them (color depends on the theme itself to get good contrast between background and text).

Here is this little code I copied from another post on Dgrin forums (sorry, I don't remember the name of the author).

/* Turn the navbar text a different color when the mouse hovers over it */
    .sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink a:hover {
    color: #FC1501 !important;
    }

Could it be the reason why I have to put everywhere the CSS code for the idented menu?

Anyway, it works!

Jerome

Nb: Sorry I can't give here a link for my site: it is pswd protected because of all my children and grand children pictures!