Options

I FINALLY got it.

superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
edited December 12, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
I took this about a year ago and knew I had "something" but didn't have the Lightroom technique to bring out what I visualized as the best of it. Found it again the other day on an old drive and just grinned. It actually took Lightroom, Irfanview (awesome saturation tool) and a tiny bit of work in gimp to clear the chromatic aberration that was now white. Yeah I did it a bit backwards so sue me :) Anyway here it is.

p209767415-5.jpg
Accidents and Inspiration
One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    This is very cool! What is irfanview? Is it a lightroom add-on? Or is it a separate thing?
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2013
    Irfanview is just a freeware Image viewer. http://www.irfanview.com/ It actually is pretty useful and handles batch conversions very well (but nor really raw). I use it as a default viewer because it's so fast and I didn't always have LR. It also has some basic modification tools and effects but the saturation (and to a certain degree, contrast) slide bar has always worked well for my tastes. It manages to push the colors really far before blowing them out and in a visually different way than Lightroom. It's subtle but I've had good luck with it. There are also a few adjutment in the default Picassa viewer/editor (which is also a pretty good RAW converter BTW) that I can't replicate anywhere else. I don't use Photoshop so I've had to make do in other ways through trial and error.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    superduckz wrote: »
    Irfanview is just a freeware Image viewer. http://www.irfanview.com/ It actually is pretty useful and handles batch conversions very well (but nor really raw). I use it as a default viewer because it's so fast and I didn't always have LR. It also has some basic modification tools and effects but the saturation (and to a certain degree, contrast) slide bar has always worked well for my tastes. It manages to push the colors really far before blowing them out and in a visually different way than Lightroom. It's subtle but I've had good luck with it. There are also a few adjutment in the default Picassa viewer/editor (which is also a pretty good RAW converter BTW) that I can't replicate anywhere else. I don't use Photoshop so I've had to make do in other ways through trial and error.

Thanks for the info. I used to use Picasa and liked it, specially because it's free... Now I use lightroom and haven't looked back. Sometimes I do minor stuff in Gimp, but the learning curve is steep.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    Looks great Steve!
    I'm taking baby-steps to overcome my aversion to centering - this helps - but I have a long way to go. :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2013
    In all honesty I was probably born 50 years too late. My two favorite formats are square and 8x20. I REALLY love 8 x 20 living in Florida since there are no mountains getting in the way! rolleyes1.gif
    I'm not sure where my love of square comes from since I work as a draftsmen all day trying to make things look decent on 24x36 formats. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2013
    Yup, you nailed it... thumb.gif
    Rags