Options

Has anybody jumped from DSLR to Fuji X Pro 1?

MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited December 15, 2013 in Cameras
Hi,

Over the last couple of years I have slowly dropped most of the photo equipment I used to carry around with me. To the extent that on a recent trip I took a camera and two lenses only (Canon 40D + Tamron 18-55 & Canon 70-200) and still found this too heavy. This started me thinking about replacing my DSLR with a Fuji X Pro 1 + the 18-55 and the 70-200 lenses. I would then add a flash and the 60 macro when funds allowed.

This would be a serious investment for me and I would appreciate comments from people that have done the same or similar.

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    That would still be too heavy and too big. You need to switch to primes. You won't miss the zooms. I would start with the XPro-1 (or X-E1) with the 35/1.4 and the 18/2.0.

Personally I kept my DSLR for sports and paid work, and I added the X100S for family candids. I love it. The IQ of the X system would surely be a nice upgrade from the 40D.

DSCF1874-X3.jpg

DSCF1844-X3.jpg

DSCF1561-X3.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    Thanks for the input and nice photos.

For the shorter range I would have no problems with primes but I would miss the 70-200 range.

When I used to shoot film I rarely used zooms. I had a couple of zooms but seldom used them. This changed when I went digital and bought a Fuji bridge camera. This had a large range and the zoom became a habit which I carried over to the Canon. I also find the combination of the 17-50 and the 70-200 just about perfect for my photography. I have other lenses but these are not used to the same extent.

I had a try out with the X Pro 1 and the 3 primes. I haven't tried it with the new zoom lenses though. I think this should be my next move. Because the X Pro 1 is so much smaller than the Canon I had just assumed that the whole package would be smaller and so lighter. As you suggest above, this may not be the case.

I too would keep the Canon. Not for any professional reason but because it is worth more to me than the second hand price I would get for it. I also have a lot of other equipment; lenses, flashes etc that I am reluctant to sell. The Canon would also be a better camera for some of the stuff I do at home.
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2013
    I think depending on what you shoot, you could drop a lot of weight by getting an 18-200 zoom. I like zoom's But not really that wide even though I have an 28-200.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2013
    DonFischer wrote: »
    I think depending on what you shoot, you could drop a lot of weight by getting an 18-200 zoom. I like zoom's But not really that wide even though I have an 28-200.

A while ago I was very close to buying the Tamron 18-270. I went back and forth many times and I was never completely happy or conformable with it. I just didn't feel right and so ended up not buying it. I have the Canon f4 IS USM (which is really nice to use) and I think this has set my exceptions quite high. I will go try the Fuji with the zooms lenses but already know the Fuji 70-200 is unlikely to "feel" the same as the Canon. I also know that to move to a smaller format will probably mean some compromises.

Weight is my main concern now. On a recent trip I took very little equipment and on several occasions wish I had brought a wide angle and also flashes.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,834 moderator
    edited September 7, 2013
    Martyn wrote: »
    ... Weight is my main concern now. On a recent trip I took very little equipment and on several occasions wish I had brought a wide angle and also flashes.

A proper bag and neoprene camera straps can make a major improvement in comfort.

I use an Op/Tech "Dual Harness" to carry two bodies with lenses. It uses the 3/8" Op/Tech connection standard, so I also use an Op/Tech "Pro Strap, 3/8" for a single camera application. The Dual Harness can also carry just one body, but the weight is distributed and off the neck so it feels lighter.

http://www.adorama.com/OTDHR.html

http://www.adorama.com/OTPSBK.html

If I want to carry an extra lens (or extra flash) I use a "holster" bag and leave it unzipped for easy access to the lens. The holster shape allows the lens to sit upright in the bag, while the wide opening allows easy grab of the lens in the bag.

I do like the "slinger" style single strap backpacks and my current favorite is the Pro Slinger from Adorama. ($70USD) I added an Op/Tech S.O.S. strap for "normal" shoulder bag usage and the combination gives the bag tremendous versatility.

http://www.adorama.com/GBSLPBK.html?searchinfo=pro+slinger

http://www.adorama.com/OTSOS.html?searchinfo=optech+s.o.s.

The bag is a top loader and I created a suspension method to keep pressure off of the lens while carrying the camera, a Canon 40D in this case, in the bag with a lens attached. The bag is a single main compartment with 2 vertical dividers and one front pouch that can hold a couple of flashes or something like that.

Using it as a backpack you can undo the waist/hip belt and swing the bag around to the front, allowing for access without putting the bag on the ground. The bag also has some "D" ring attachments and I can add a lens pouch to one side or the other if needed.

When you use this bag as a backpack, the waist belt puts most of the weight on your hips taking most of the strain off your back.

Using it as a shoulder bag the Op/Tech S.O.S. strap is a stretchy neoprene and absorbs shock that would otherwise be transmitted to your shoulder, making the bag seem lighter.

I normally carry the following inside the bag:

Canon 40D
    2 - Sigma DG Super flashes
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM
    Canon 2x teleconverter
    Canon 1.4x teleconverter
    Close focus adapter, 3.3 diopter, to fit the 50mm, f/1.4, gives about 1/2 lifesize.
    Canon 500D, 77mm, 2 diopter with 67-77mm ring to fit 70-200mm, f/4L, gives almost 1:1 at MFD.
    Charger and spare camera battery.

Around 15 pounds.

I've carried this even in a true wilderness environment and it didn't kill my back like a normal shoulder bag might. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2013
    I don't think any rangefinder style camera is really suited for use with a 200mm lens. If you're going to keep your 40D, use that with your 70-200. Then get an XP1 with 2 or 3 primes for traveling light. I shot our week long vacation in Jamaica with nothing more than a 50/1.4 and a 28/2.8... on film. Somehow I came home with plenty of keepers. Less is more.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    rcrjphotosrcrjphotos Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    Oh my goodness.. if those images are from a simple looking camera like the Fuji X Pro 1.. I want to see and hold one. I'll go to the local camera store and try it out. Really, those photos are really nice and sharp and the color is outstanding.

Awesome work!
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    rcrjphotos wrote: »
    Oh my goodness.. if those images are from a simple looking camera like the Fuji X Pro 1.. I want to see and hold one. I'll go to the local camera store and try it out. Really, those photos are really nice and sharp and the color is outstanding.

Awesome work!

Thanks! Actually those were taken with my X100S, but it has basically the same sensor. It is a wonderful camera.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited September 10, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    A proper bag and neoprene camera straps can make a major improvement in comfort.

I use an Op/Tech "Dual Harness" to carry two bodies with lenses. It uses the 3/8" Op/Tech connection standard, so I also use an Op/Tech "Pro Strap, 3/8" for a single camera application. The Dual Harness can also carry just one body, but the weight is distributed and off the neck so it feels lighter.

http://www.adorama.com/OTDHR.html

http://www.adorama.com/OTPSBK.html

If I want to carry an extra lens (or extra flash) I use a "holster" bag and leave it unzipped for easy access to the lens. The holster shape allows the lens to sit upright in the bag, while the wide opening allows easy grab of the lens in the bag.

I do like the "slinger" style single strap backpacks and my current favorite is the Pro Slinger from Adorama. ($70USD) I added an Op/Tech S.O.S. strap for "normal" shoulder bag usage and the combination gives the bag tremendous versatility.

http://www.adorama.com/GBSLPBK.html?searchinfo=pro+slinger

http://www.adorama.com/OTSOS.html?searchinfo=optech+s.o.s.

The bag is a top loader and I created a suspension method to keep pressure off of the lens while carrying the camera, a Canon 40D in this case, in the bag with a lens attached. The bag is a single main compartment with 2 vertical dividers and one front pouch that can hold a couple of flashes or something like that.

Using it as a backpack you can undo the waist/hip belt and swing the bag around to the front, allowing for access without putting the bag on the ground. The bag also has some "D" ring attachments and I can add a lens pouch to one side or the other if needed.

When you use this bag as a backpack, the waist belt puts most of the weight on your hips taking most of the strain off your back.

Using it as a shoulder bag the Op/Tech S.O.S. strap is a stretchy neoprene and absorbs shock that would otherwise be transmitted to your shoulder, making the bag seem lighter.

I normally carry the following inside the bag:

Canon 40D
    2 - Sigma DG Super flashes
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM
    Canon 2x teleconverter
    Canon 1.4x teleconverter
    Close focus adapter, 3.3 diopter, to fit the 50mm, f/1.4, gives about 1/2 lifesize.
    Canon 500D, 77mm, 2 diopter with 67-77mm ring to fit 70-200mm, f/4L, gives almost 1:1 at MFD.
    Charger and spare camera battery.

Around 15 pounds.

I've carried this even in a true wilderness environment and it didn't kill my back like a normal shoulder bag might. thumb.gif

Hi Ziggy,

thanks for the input.

I have several camera bags; back pack, should bags, sling bag. The back packs are the most comfortable but not the most convenient. The sling bag is the most convenient but not the most comfortable.
    I now generally use a regular sports style bag with the inners from a Crumpler 7 million dollar bag. This is still not perfect, but for a body and a few lenses it works well for me. This is the bag I took to Borneo. In the morning it is fine but by afternoon it is heavy and awkward. Most of the places I go are hot and humid and this is part of the issue I am having with heavy equipment.

When you carry this kind of equipment how often are to swapping out bodies and lenses?
  • Options
    I don't think any rangefinder style camera is really suited for use with a 200mm lens. If you're going to keep your 40D, use that with your 70-200. Then get an XP1 with 2 or 3 primes for traveling light. I shot our week long vacation in Jamaica with nothing more than a 50/1.4 and a 28/2.8... on film. Somehow I came home with plenty of keepers. Less is more.

You may be right about the 70-200 lens but I would be lost without one.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,834 moderator
    Martyn wrote: »
    ... When you carry this kind of equipment how often are to swapping out bodies and lenses?

As required by the scene. It's really just that simple.

With a bag like the Pro Slinger (single-strap backpack, sling style), you undo the waist strap and swing the bag to the front. It's easy to grab what you need and swap with what you have. (No zippers for the main compartment, just 3 snaps and you generally only undue 2 snaps to get what you need.) Then you just swing the bag to the back and clip the waist belt again and you're set. Add a belt-attached holster bag on front for convenient access to the most-swapped lens.

They also make a somewhat smaller bag, the Adorama Slinger, with 2-less inches front to back. It would work nicely for a non-gripped body and has the advantage of putting the center-of-gravity closer to your body for better balance on longer hikes.

For a hot and humid environment my son swears by "Under Armour" T shirts to help with sweat dissipation. I believe that he uses the Tactical Tech™ or Tactical HeatGear® shirts, probably a polyester blend of some sort.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    IluvmycamIluvmycam Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 11, 2013
    Still got DSLR, but only for sports and macro. For street it is Fuji all the way. I used a M43, but IQ wont cut it next to Fuji for big prints. (13 x 19)

Now, Fuji is only good for zone focus if you shoot street like I do. The AF is poor and focus by wire terrible.

But I used a Fuji to shoot 95% of the current book I am doing. Just outstanding pix from the Fuji.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2013
    X-e2
    Just wanted to report back.

Just bought a X-E2 with a 18-55 lens. Only had it for a few days but initial impressions are very good.
    very nice camera.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2013
    Nice choice, enjoy! Post some pics from it.
    -Jack