Options

Moving an item from "Whole Site" to only the titlepage and folders

afxafx Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited December 16, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I'd like to have the Turbo layout for the titlepage and folders, but not for galleries. Is there a way to break the Logo/Menu link to all pages so that I can have a different layout in the galleries?

Or do I really have to restart from scratch?

cheers
afx

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    afx wrote: »
    I'd like to have the Turbo layout for the titlepage and folders, but not for galleries. Is there a way to break the Logo/Menu link to all pages so that I can have a different layout in the galleries?

Or do I really have to restart from scratch?

cheers
    afx

Are you unveiled yet? (I am not, this might matter.)

While you are in the All Galleries section of your site, click the Theme tab, scroll to the bottom, click Create Theme, and choose a theme.

I did this some time ago so I hope I remember correctly: When you are done customizing, click Done, and Publish (during UNveiled, this saves for you only). Skip "preview", I believe it has odd side-effects (I've never used it for that reason).

When I was just exploring and trying different customizations, I did set up several themes (saving each to a name). I realized one could apply a different theme to each part of the site, separately.

Reminder: any customizations you do in one theme, are not transferable to the other themes. If you make something nice like a navbar in your All Galleries Theme choice, then decide to revert to another theme, you will have to re-create the customizations.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Are you unveiled yet? (I am not, this might matter.)
    Yes I am.
    When I was just exploring and trying different customizations, I did set up several themes (saving each to a name). I realized one could apply a different theme to each part of the site, separately.

Reminder: any customizations you do in one theme, are not transferable to the other themes. If you make something nice like a navbar in your All Galleries Theme choice, then decide to revert to another theme, you will have to re-create the customizations.

Yup, but that is a maintenance hassle.

I ended up nuking the default left sidebar that is used everywhere and creating custom ones for titlepage and folders.

cheers
    afx
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    I just realized I probably didn't answer your question.
    What does this mean: "break the Logo/Menu link to all pages"?
    If you have a menu, you can set the links to any gallery or URL you want.
    I'm not clear on how doing so would have an effect on your layout being different in different sections of your site.

What about the layout in All Galleries do you want to change?
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    The Turbo Layout has a left sidebar on all pages.
    The goal was to not have it on all page types but only on title page and folder pages, but not galleries.
    It would have been nice to do this selectively without the need to individually set up the sidebar for title page and folders.
    I ended up nuking it completely and setting up the sidebars individually which is a bit inefficient, but it worked.

cheers
    afx
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    afx wrote: »
    ... creating custom ones for titlepage and folders.

This is what I have done as well, Homepage has both left sidebar, abbreviated menu of certain links, plus a top navbar.
    Entire site has a full top navbar.

The Homepage is set to be separate, so the "entire site" top navbar shows on all folders and all galleries.

Then I have also set up a customer sitemap on the homepage, but that's another story. :D
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    And yes this means whenever I add galleries or new content, I have to fix menus in four places. The leg work was hardest to set up but I think maintenance will not be too much work