Options

First Attempts at High-Key

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited December 22, 2013 in People
I've been wanting to do some high-key shots but I've been intimidated for some reason so I finally bit the bullet...

Lighting Setup
Background light: 2 AB800's with no modifiers other than the standard reflectors on white seamless background metered at f/11
Main Light: AB400 in softlighter II metered at f/8

Next step is to do full-length shots. I've seen people put various things (masonite, plexiglass) down on the floor to get some cool reflections. I've seen things on top of the seamless on the floor and underneath. Anyone have any insights to share?

Here are a few from the last few nights...

#1 - Isabel just got her new ski jacket for the race team and we thought this would be great for our first attempts...
i-KZhB77R-XL.jpg

i-dvJqSWN-XL.jpg

#3 - Isabel multitasking: talking to her sister who is away at college and being my model. Now that's talent!:D! I got her to take the bands off her wrist a couple of shots later...:doh
i-X3zJHK6-XL.jpg

#4 - Finally got her to give the phone to her mom...
i-d9snBhr-XL.jpg

#5 - and one from tonight using a 22" beauty dish as the main light...is the processing too fashion for her age (12)?
i-SW2wQbW-XL.jpg
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    Great job for your first attempt, especially love # 2. For the floor goeap. Visit Lowes or similar store and pick up a 4x8 sheet of white plastic board. The cheapest and lightest you can find.

What was your main?
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Great job for your first attempt, especially love # 2. For the floor goeap. Visit Lowes or similar store and pick up a 4x8 sheet of white plastic board. The cheapest and lightest you can find.

What was your main?

Thanks Hack. I assume that you put the white plastic board on top of the seamless?
    Mainlight is an AB400 in a 60" softliter II.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    I think you did super on the lighting. Can't find a nit at all. Getting the pure white background and yet maintaining the texture of the white hat shows you're spot on!

Back when I used to do full length hockey portraits, I found a sheet of white material that I believe was meant to be used as wall covering. It was rough on one side and smooth on the other. It was thin enough to roll into a tube shape and tied for transport, but rugged enough to withstand the rigors of hockey skates. 4' x 8' sheets and I used two of them. Was pretty cheap too.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    Yes, Mike, on top of the seamless. I've seen folks try to get all around whites with a box and that is hard to do.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    I believe the shiny side of tileboard works. I personally have some polypaper backgrounds, and turn one over to use as a floor drop when needed; the material has a slight sheen which, while it doesn't give a full reflection, is just enough to brighten things up. 'Course, I struggle with full length in my space, so I don't use it all that often!

These are lovely. I find that 4 has a little too much shadow for me for a high key look - the camera right side of her face is definitely dark on my (calibrated) monitor. But that's a nit - they're very nice! thumb.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2013
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2013
    zoomer wrote: »
    These aren't high key....look like pretty normal exposures.
    2 looks best.
    You are correct. These are not high-key. My bad. Looks at least one person online would call these Hot White -

HOT WHITE
    The term "hot white" refers to the use of a pure white background and is not concerned with the colouration of the main subject.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2013
    Oh my gosh...#2 is so beautiful!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2013
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Oh my gosh...#2 is so beautiful!
    Thanks Kate. I really like the light I'm getting out of the Softlighter II. It does some really nice things...
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    I like #1 here. Pretty good job on the lighting. How far was she from the background? I often have issues with spill with this setup.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I like #1 here. Pretty good job on the lighting. How far was she from the background? I often have issues with spill with this setup.
    Thanks Mitchell. Spill and flare were my biggest worries. I was able to get her 7-8 feet away so spill was not really an issue and I had no problems with flare.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2013
    #2 is spot on. I think she has deeper set eyes so you are getting bit of raccoon effect as well (#1). #5 is great as well but I feel like there is touch too much shadow under her eyes which makes her look tired. touch up!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    #2 is pure awesome.

You have the same curse I do. "The curse of the beautiful daughter". Mine is grown but there often times that I would wonder how much easier life would be with an ugly kid.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site