Options

the neverending page of pictures

PteranodonPteranodon Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited December 19, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I'm a newer SmugMug person, so pardon this possibly dumb, seemingly lazy question:

What happens if a person were to put a thousand pictures into one gallery? How long would it take to load? Would one never be able to scroll to the bottom without having to wait for thumbnails here and there to load?

Is there any sort of page feature to eliminate the endless scrolling on quite large galleries?

thanks in advance for advising me about this.
Jason

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2013
    Pteranodon wrote: »
    I'm a newer SmugMug person, so pardon this possibly dumb, seemingly lazy question:

What happens if a person were to put a thousand pictures into one gallery? How long would it take to load? Would one never be able to scroll to the bottom without having to wait for thumbnails here and there to load?

Is there any sort of page feature to eliminate the endless scrolling on quite large galleries?

thanks in advance for advising me about this.
    Jason
    Try a Smugmug style gallery, only a few, maybe 20 thumbs show on each page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited December 18, 2013
    Either a smugmug or journal style gallery would work - they are both limited in size and have paging built in.

If you expect people to view the gallery I think 1000 photos is too many. If I opened a gallery of that size I might browse through the photos presented in the early stages of the gallery display but I would never view the entire gallery.

If you really have 1000 photos that you want in a single gallery you might want to create some smart galleries to present subsets of the 1000.

--- Denise
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2013

You can test it on my site - SM is still peddling the lie that I have 1000 "popular" images (the truth is that I have only 24 popular images!), you can see how they load in a Collage Landscape format at http://beardedgit.smugmug.com/popular

Firefox shows it loading a fair few at the start and then adding more as the page is scrolled.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2013
    My legacy comes up with 770 but my unveiled NewSmug shows the limited 1000 in the smugmug style gallery.
    On NewSmug I show the gallery in smugmug style but added a college landscape box at the top with
    a limited number of photos. Also added message to see gallery at the bottom to see all '1000'.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    PteranodonPteranodon Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    Thanks Allen and Denise, for some reason the choice of using the SmugMug style completely escaped me. I'd like to think I would've eventually thought of it but I'm glad to have had your help. I prefer the collage landscape look but I'll certainly be going with the SmugMug style for this particular gallery. Denise, your advice is total common sense in most cases. In this instance, I'm undertaking a humongous archive project (scanning) of historic family photos from about a billion shoeboxes and big suitcases and I'm just not up to the task of real organization right now...... I'm doing the electronic equivalent of an enormous suitcase of pictures. Not ideal but still a gold mine for various interested family members and friends.

Thanks for weighing in, Beardedgit.