Options

Price Lists

GolfnutGolfnut Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited December 22, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Hello,
I am transferring photos into my new SmugMug site and I am struggling with the price lists.
1. By default there are way to many options for the customer. Most of my images have a 3:2 aspect ratio; but there are options for many different aspect ratios. I feel like I am presenting the customer with a bad 20 page menu for a Chinese restaurant. So, to get around this, I have created price lists for the common aspect ratios that I have in my photo galleries. 3:2, 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1. Ok, step one accomplished. :ivar

2. Since I have digital photos dating back to 2001 (4MP) I know for a fact they will not print well at all at a very large size like my current 36MP images. So, I have created multiple price lists, for example, "3:2 Low Res" for 4MP images, "3:2 Med Res" for 16MP images, "3:2 High Res for 36MP images". As the MP goes up, the price list supports a larger print size. I don't want my customers being disappointed with a 4MP image printed so large that it looks horrible.

3. In total I now have 8 price lists (not all the aspect ratios have low or med res images). My biggest problem now is that (from what I can tell) there is no way to find out which price list a particular image is using unless I go to the public shopping cart and order it. Or I can hunt for it by clicking through each price list to discover which one that image has been selected in. This requires remembering too much stuff, especially with hundreds of images :dunno

4. Is there an easier way to find out which price list is used for a given image? Or if it is assigned at all? Or if it is assigned to multiple price lists since there is no apparent check to see if an image has been assigned to multiple price lists?:confused

5. What would be great is to view all the images in a gallery hierarchy and see which price list is it assigned to.

6. Or maybe you have a suggestion on how to organize my price lists better?
Thanks,
Charles Pfeil

Comments

• Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    You can see what pricelist is applied to any image by going to the image in the gallery and clicking Customize > Set Prices. It will show you what pricelist the gallery uses, and which pricelist that image uses (if you have set up image-level pricing). It's not possible for an image to have no pricelist assigned to it, or to have multiple pricelists assigned to it. Every photo can only have one, and only one, pricelist applied to it.

It may not be really that necessary to create separate pricelists that limit what sizes are available for lower resolution images, as SmugMug already has minimum resolution requirements for each print size that can be offered for sale. If a particular image is too small for a print size you are offering, that product would not be available for purchase. So, you can probably save some confusion by simply eliminating the "low res" pricelists.
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    GolfnutGolfnut Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    rnrjosh wrote: »
    You can see what pricelist is applied to any image by going to the image in the gallery and clicking Customize > Set Prices. It will show you what pricelist the gallery uses, and which pricelist that image uses (if you have set up image-level pricing). It's not possible for an image to have no pricelist assigned to it, or to have multiple pricelists assigned to it. Every photo can only have one, and only one, pricelist applied to it.

It may not be really that necessary to create separate pricelists that limit what sizes are available for lower resolution images, as SmugMug already has minimum resolution requirements for each print size that can be offered for sale. If a particular image is too small for a print size you are offering, that product would not be available for purchase. So, you can probably save some confusion by simply eliminating the "low res" pricelists.

It also appears that I can set a pricelist for a gallery and then override it for individual photos using the Customize > Set Prices. I believe that will be most useful for me.

Is there a chart or document that describes the minimum resolution for the print sizes?

Thanks so much!
    Charles
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited December 22, 2013
    Golfnut wrote: »
    Is there a chart or document that describes the minimum resolution for the print sizes?
    See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93359.

--- Denise