Israel!

NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
edited June 4, 2014 in Journeys
I've put these photos off for awhile, they're actually from 2012 but I'm laid up right now so catching up on my personal work:

1) i-xJ9MwgQ.jpg

2) i-GvPpRS2.jpg

3) i-qRfLGb3.jpg

4) i-TLDM5qD.jpg

5) i-vfNZBS9.jpg

6) i-5GDNfXp.jpg

7) i-6dJRgwb.jpg

Comments

• EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    That last one is crazy. Is that painted on the building?
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    That last one is crazy. Is that painted on the building?

Yup! There's a law in Jerusalem that buildings need to keep that old look to them. Most just put on a simple facade but that one is just amazing. When i was just glancing through the images I had to double take to realize the person banging out the carpet was a part of the mural since the real railing blends in with it almost seamlessly.
  • kobistarkobistar Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    Wow. So grimy.
    I am from Israel and it can look very different from these black and white views.
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    kobistar, if I can come there again, you should do a photo tour for us. Loved Israel. Beautiful country.
    edited December 23, 2013
    kobistar wrote: »
    Wow. So grimy.
    I am from Israel and it can look very different from these black and white views.

I remember way back while I was getting my BFA a friend of mine said "you can even make Harvard Sq look depressing" I don't really look for the cheery scenes in my work. From back in 08 IIRC:

i-QSLhz98.jpg
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2013
    Love your work. Conversion has just the perfect level of blacks and contrast to feel rich (and a bit gritty as said before) without going too far. Nice stuff.

The other thing that struck me as a theme throughout is perspective, as in perspective control. Arguing with myself if I would straighten in post or not. The cats and windows--maybe. #2 I think I would straighten. The others seem to gain from the slight tilt of an upward pointing camera, especially #5.
    thumb.gif
    edited December 23, 2013
    Love your work. Conversion has just the perfect level of blacks and contrast to feel rich (and a bit gritty as said before) without going too far. Nice stuff.

The other thing that struck me as a theme throughout is perspective, as in perspective control. Arguing with myself if I would straighten in post or not. The cats and windows--maybe. #2 I think I would straighten. The others seem to gain from the slight tilt of an upward pointing camera, especially #5.
    thumb.gif

Thanks, I'll write that down for when I go back into the images. I was (and still am) laid up so I've been catching up on my personal work that has been piling up and pretty much pumping it out with 2 other 20+ image series in addition to this one. I'm thinking of these as almost final drafts but if I were to ever print them I definitely would go and clean up/modify a few things.

Some more from that trip:

8) i-DDkPTKT.jpg

9) i-Fpqz7TB.jpg

10) i-mNz8h8L.jpg

11) i-pBVDwr6.jpg

12) i-Mh8WMVc.jpg

13) i-nNXJwQj.jpg

14) i-xLcDSBk.jpg
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2014
    I am heading to israel tomorrow.

Trying to determine with Gear to take with me.

I have 5d2 and 6d... so i'm glad the 6d is smaller than my 5d2... so 6d wins

But in terms of my lenses,
    24 - 105 F/4L
    17 - 40 F/4L
    70-200 2.8L
    50 1.4

I am thinking everything except the long one... but not sure if I am gonna end up using the 17-40 very often since I got the 24 - 105 for the walk around capabilities of it...
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 4, 2014
    Beautiful collection - stunning Black and White images. Well done!
    No 12 is my favourite :)
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me