Options

Need a Camera. Which one to buy?

WildFireWildFire Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 23, 2013 in Cameras
Hello All,

I'm a very new media student with no photography experience (yet!), and need to purchase a decent SLR. I cannot have, nor do I desire, a point-and-shoot; my phone covers that arena. I want a complicated camera, with lots of buttons to press and complicated features. :wink

I do need one which does really good stills, and good video. Reason why I ask for a two-in-one is because it's exhausting carrying two cameras, and I really don't have the storage space. Also, the video will be mainly for web-media for my blog, than being put on the silver screen. Unfortunately, video-phone material will not be accepted for my BA. :rolleyes

I was eyeing the very expensive Canon 5D Miii.. :lust it is quite a beauty. A friend of mine has a Mii, and raves about it. What's the big difference for the Mii and Miii? A not-photographer friend of mine told me it's a waste of money, and to buy a Canon Rebel. NO. I will have to work with this in the near future, and I really prefer to have the most advanced pieces of technology when I'm buying, so that it will last me a few years and still be a decent device. (It's like buying a Macbook Air with that i7 + 8GB RAM, even though I don't need it right now.)

I would prefer a Canon since everyone on this ruddy island has one, and all of my photog-pals would lend me lenses, and I, them.

So, great stills, good video. Budget is negligible. :barb Which would YOU purchase?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,835 moderator
    edited December 20, 2013
    To be honest, if you want an extremely good still plus video Canon DSLR, and if you have the funds, the Canon 1D-X is what I would recommend.

Be sure to read this review from Philip Bloom:

http://philipbloom.net/2012/08/14/1dx-2/

... and especially this comment,

"So getting back to the camera [Canon 1D X]. Is it worth the extra money? Yes and no. As a stills camera, it is second to none. Video wise, the video is much better than the Mk3, it’s better than the [Nikon] D800. Is it that much better taking into account the price? Yes and no. The Mk3 is still great and much smaller, lighter and cheaper. I wish the Mk3 image looked as smashing as this…"
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    It is better to invest in good quality lenses. I would go with the 5dii for half the cost of the 5diii and take the savings and buy the 35mm 1.4 L glass as your go to lens for video.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    Okay, you say you have zero still photo experience. Do NOT plonk your money down for the most expensive camera out there - it will frustrate you. Getting the most out of a camera takes SKILL, and most pro-level (ie the most expensive) gear will not perform as well for you as going for something better suited to your abilities NOW, but that you can still grow into.

Also, digital camera gear doesn't quite equate to buying the highest-specc'ed computer; some similarities, but not quite the same need to futureproof by buying the newest and "best" - some compnoents of cameras are still mechanical, and may wear out at about the same time new technology makes an upgrade attractive.

The main differences between the 5dII and 5dIII are mostly in the speed of AF acquisition, and customisability of functions. They both produce wonderful images with beautiful full-frame sensors. However, they're not the only option for video.

I honestly think from what you say that you could do really WELL with one of the higher end Rebels or something like the 70d - while the XXd series has a crop sensor, it produces EXTREMELY high quality shots. There is PLENTY to learn using either of these models, and for some who have limited experience with an SLR they are easier to understand; not because they're shirking on image quality or manual controls or "complicated things", but because of the way the menus are laid out, and the actual menu choices are more suitable when you're still figuring out how to do the basics and what exactly you need in a camera. Think of it like this: a Formula 1 Ferrari may be "the best", but it would be pretty useless for learning how to drive a stickshift in the suburbs, where a Toyotal Corolla or Ford Fiesta would probably be a much better choice :)

Bottom line: you can't "buy" skill, and sometimes more level-appropriate gear will get you where you want to go quicker than throwing a lot of money at it. Learn the skills, and then you'll know exactly what gear will fit your needs thumb.gif
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    Divamum makes some very good points. A Canon 1Dx is a monster of a camera and not easy for a beginner to figure out. In fact, I'd go so far as to say you can pick up some pretty bad habits with a camera like the X which allows you almost unlimited flexibility in how you configure it. The nice thing about a more mid-range camera like the 5D2 is that it is laid out in a way that encourages you to use it properly; even more so for a Rebel.

I still use my 5D2 as my walkaround camera. It produces beautiful images--stills and video--and is much more intuitive to use than an X (or probably a 5D3, though I have never used the latter). If you really want to spend some money, go for some great lenses. You can drop as much as you want on good glass, knowing that you won't outgrow them for a decade or more.

An X is a great camera for those who know how to use it. By the time you're there, there will be a newer version of the X and you'll be ready for it.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    You seek the Canon 70D.

Tons more street cred than a Rebel, better video than a 5DIII, at a reasonable price.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    Okay, you say you have zero still photo experience. Do NOT plonk your money down for the most expensive camera out there - it will frustrate you. Getting the most out of a camera takes SKILL, and most pro-level (ie the most expensive) gear will not perform as well for you as going for something better suited to your abilities NOW, but that you can still grow into.

The thing is, I HAVE to learn; as I have to learn graphic design and 3D animation in three years. I get what you're saying though.

So given that I need something which does both great stills and great video, which is not incredibly heavy but is more suited to my needs, which would you recommend?

Also, some of the shots from this camera in the next year will be used in a print and online magazine (I think I forgot to mention that). And the video is mainly for YouTube social media content.

9496500-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2013
    You seek the Canon 70D.

Tons more street cred than a Rebel, better video than a 5DIII, at a reasonable price.

Why, thank you! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2013
    This:
    I honestly think from what you say that you could do really WELL with one of the higher end Rebels or something like the 70d

However, if the $$ is not an issue (it must not be, if you are considering the 5D Mark III), I would go with the 70D--far better controls than any Rebel. Moreover, the 70D has the best AF for video in the Canon line-up, the new dual-pixel sensor. As someone who owns and loves a 5DMarkIII, I can say that if I were seriously interested in video (I'm not) and were starting out, I would pick a 70D over the 5DIII in a heartbeat. In addition to the better AF for video, the 70D weighs a lot less--adding a lens with any given reach, a LOT less--which would be an advantage for video, I would think. And the very large savings would allow you to buy glass and other things you might need, such as a tripod and flash. For your purposes, I would not consider a 5D mark II, which has a fairly primitive AF system. (They are a great deal for some other folks, e.g, people who do almost entirely landscapes.)
    I will have to work with this in the near future, and I really prefer to have the most advanced pieces of technology when I'm buying, so that it will last me a few years and still be a decent device.

You will be an amazingly fast student if progress so fast that a 70D won't last you few years. By the time you actually do outgrow it, there will be a whole array of new options.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2013
    WildFire wrote: »
    The thing is, I HAVE to learn; as I have to learn graphic design and 3D animation in three years. I get what you're saying though.

So given that I need something which does both great stills and great video, which is not incredibly heavy but is more suited to my needs, which would you recommend?

Also, some of the shots from this camera in the next year will be used in a print and online magazine (I think I forgot to mention that). And the video is mainly for YouTube social media content.

9496500-Ti.gif

your answer here betrays how much you don't know yet, since any of the cameras mentioned in this thread can do what you want. :). AND teach you what you need to know. thumb.gif
    divamum wrote:
    something like the 70d - while the XXd series has a crop sensor, it produces EXTREMELY high quality shots.

however, as I and others have all mentioned, the 70d is likely your best and most appropriate choice. If you want to throw down more money for the pro cameras, that's your choice, but you really don't need them to get what you want.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2013
    If you plan on using the camera for video projects, not just the occasional 15 sec sequence, the 70D is going to be a better fit. This is primarily because the 70D features Canon's new Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which means that the camera can essentially autofocus while shooting video. Neither the 5DII or 5DIII offer this feature. So this means that with the 5D camera, you must autofocus the entire time, whereas the 70D gives you the option of letting the camera handle focus. Great option. This, combined with a new STM lens will make the camera a really great video tool, rivaling most decent camcorder/semi-pro video systems.

Now, if you are REALLY going serious about video, the focus won't interest you, as you will be adding equipment like Redrock Micro and employing focus pullers (people to manually focus the camera for you). My assumption here is that will be not what you are doing at school, and if you need to, it will be associated with a specific class where they most likely will provide this equipment. (or you can just rent it).
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2013
    +1 on the 70D if you're getting this to be an equal video/still camera it's got the best video AF out there right now and the still quality is good as well. Not to mention it's a tough lil camera, as a college student you're more likely than not to be hard on your gear.