Options

Mini-Challenge #179 (Greatest Gift) RESULTS

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
edited December 28, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, there weren't many entries but it was still a tough decision to pick a winner!

GrandmaR--I love the stories behind each picture you posted. The full set of teeth on your 7-mo-old made me chuckle. I really love your gold coin tradition. The lighting is a bit harsh on the coin & I wish the envelope were straighter so as not to have the darker area in the top right corner.

LifeinFocus -- Love the shadows of the letters in your grandson's name. I didn't see it at first--thought the angle was weird on the wooden letters, then BAM!...(face palm). Very cute!

TravelnLass -- Your "Friends" picture! THAT's what I'm talking about! Obvious joy there and a nice story to go with it. I also liked the pic of you with the statue of liberty oof behind you. I'm sorry those weren't taken by you. They both fit the theme so well.

Shooting Star -- Child's Smile is sweet. Nothing sound's better than children's laughter to me.

kdotaylor -- I love all three of yours for different reasons and would have a hard time choosing between just the three of them if they were the only 3 entered. I'm such a sucker for flowers and weddings, but the light on Sisters is just so sweet.

Earache-- Again, I love all three of yours. What's not to love in a Marine Corps band? You chose a perfect title for your statue. I love the statue with the oof flowers in the background. It is a beautiful shot.

Finally narrowed down my top picks:

Honorable Mention:

Shooting Star -- Chocolate. I can't think of too many people who don't find joy in good chocolate. I love how the reflection in the sunglasses sort of looks like a night scene when it is obviously daytime. Nice!
IMG_0750-L.jpg

3rd Place:

kdotaylor - Sisters. Love that hug, love that sweet light. Your processing is superb.
i-6pDk5Lm-L.jpg

2nd Place:

LifeinFocus - #3 Grandchild with Gingerbread house. Those eyes just drew me in!
20121225%20Walenga%20Family-6553%20v2-L.jpg

And the WINNER of this round....

Earache -- A Father's Love. I kept coming back to this one. The title is perfect. The composition is nice. Your black and white conversion is nice. It is a simple image that really nailed the theme for me. The father is giving the gift of time, patience, & love to the child and the time with the child is the gift for the father. I love it, love it, love it.
Kidz%20at%20Play%202-XL.jpg

So, thanks for playing everyone and thanks for all the great images. It really was hard to choose.

Oh, and Sapphire...I really love the image you posted. Too bad you couldn't get it entered in time. It would have made my job of picking the winner even tougher than it was.

Great job everyone!

Sherry

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 27, 2013
    The season was pretty busy for people. Too bad more entries were not entered. Lovely work everyone! Congrats to earache!
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited December 27, 2013
    Great choices, Sherry. Great shot, Earache!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2013
    Sherry, I love the topic of this mini . Congrats to Earache and others.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2013
    Thanks very much Sherry, for the pick, and your thoughtful selections and comments for the challenge participants.

Your theme was so appropriate and timely for the season... at first, I didn't think I had any images to share,
    however, when I saw people in the news complaining that their Christmas was "ruined" by late gift deliveries
    by UPS and FEDEX, I was reminded that sometimes we lose track of what really matters in life, and I think
    your theme served to highlight what gifts may be more important to many of us... so, with that in mind, I took
    another look at my archives and indeed found some "gifts" - so thanks again for a thought-provoking challenge!

I will get the next challenge up soon - I'm thinkin' hard about it right now!
    Happy New Year to all!
    Eric
    Eric ~ Smugmug