Options

Two test shots from the Sigma 35

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited December 28, 2013 in Cameras
:barb

I know a few of you were interested. It only just arrived, so I've had limited time to play with it and only in indoor lighting. ISO was at 3200, so I'd say any "softness" in this is due to noise more than lens. I'll do more in daylight, but given this I'm pretty confident it's as terrific as the reviews. VERY snappy focus (even in this low light on the 5dII).

No idea whether I should keep the dock or not; this was fresh out of the box with no AFMF adjustments or anything else. I got the dock nicely discounted, but ... necessary? Not sure :scratch

ISO 3200 - f1.4 - 1/80 - shot in RAW - NO noise reduction or sharpening (0/0), just adjusted for WB and contrast etc. in LR before converting to jpg

i-JwJWcGz.jpg

Boringest of boring shots, but it shows how it focused just where I told it to :) This is SOOC except for WB adjustment and darkening the left hand side of the frame slightly; "only" ISO 1600 this time.

i-75Fn6hq.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited December 25, 2013
    Used it "for real" for the first time on a shoot yesterday. STUNNING in all ways - can't think of a single thing not to like at this point. Will post some "real" shots when I get a chance, but if you've been considering this lens, just do it. Fast AF that doesn't hang even in crappy light, accurate, beautiful contrast and colours straight out of camera.... the works. Sure, maybe I'll find something I don't like about it as I use it more, but at this point- very, very pleased.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2013
    Glad to hear! :-)
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    I am glad you like it, that is what really counts.
    What impressed me was it seemed to focus faster than the Nikon 35mm 1.4G and had more accurate focus at close range. One thing I didn't like the Sigma was the contrast, and it's but it satisfies you so ignore me.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2013
    I've only ever used zooms in this range, so have no other primes to compare it to. But AF is definitely faster than Canon 50mm 1.4 (or 1.8, for that matter) and I prefer it in all ways to every 24-70 zoom I've used to date! Like I say, haven't had a lot o opportunity to put it through its paces yet, but so far.... so very good thumb.gif
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    wings.gif
    Over the years I have always been impressed by the support that fans of wide aperture lenses,demonstrating their new acquisitions, have consistently shown for their pet, model or significant other who has only one eye that focuses. Your first image convinces me that you deserve even greater commendation for supporting a pet that appears to have no eyes. :)

Happy Holidays!

Dale B. Dalrymple
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2013
    hey, it's better than cereal boxes or action figures, which seem.to be the fanboi test subject of choice..... :D
  • Options
    OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2013
    Looks like a fantastic lens! I was contemplating between the 35mm f/1.4 *new* Sigma and the Canon 35mm f/2. For budgetary reasons, the Canon won.