Options

Bald Eagle

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited December 29, 2013 in Wildlife
I ventured over to the dam on the Rock River in Oregon IL today to see if any Bald Eagles were around. Turns out there were 15 or more, which is more than I have ever seen in December....if not ever.

i-zn38ZcM-X3.jpg
Canon 7D, ISO 200, 600mm (Canon 300L f/4 w/2x), F/8 @ 1/1000, manual focus, hand held.

I waited for an hour hoping that bird would fly, but no dice, he never moved. I wanted an awesome in flight shot, coming at me, but they all seemed to fly away from me today. Oh well, I'll be back.

Here is the gallery, if you're interested: Eagles at the dam.
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• Options
    edited December 28, 2013
    Not that anyone cares ( :giggle ), but I ventured back out to view the Bald Eagles today, hoping I'd get some in flight shots....thankfully I did.

i-bsqQqfm-XL.jpg

i-HDdqgmx-XL.jpg

i-K3BKbxZ-XL.jpg

All my shots from today can be seen HERE.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2013
    First, I am impressed by the first shot! Then I was even more impressed when I read that you got the first one hand held and with manual focus! I am sure you are glad it hung around while you were adjusting your Bazooka pointed in its direction!

My only input would that first one is pretty damn sharp so there might be opportunity to do the horizontal crop on it. I think it would make it even better and if it stops looking sharp you can delete it.

Cheers!
    Taz
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2013
    Thanks....you asked for it, you got it.

i-PDTgSx8-X3.jpg

I do wish I had a 400L instead of having to put a 2x extender on my 70-200L, or 300L...my 300L just wasn't quite long enough by its self for me. I'm thinking a 1.4 extender on the 300 might be a good investment, so I still have auto focus. Today I was able to get a bit closer to the birds than I was yesterday, so 400mm was working.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    First, to me the horizontal image is amazing! Still sharp and looks way better!clap.gif

Focus will remain an issue even if you got 12,000 dollar 600mm F4 lens. At that zoom it has hard time figuring out which subject to focus on.

With 1.4 extender auto-focus may work more often but it not a guarantee. You still need bright light at at least F4 lens to put it on.

You did great with manual! But for birds in flight, you can imagine that is simply not possible. So it is a trade off. Extenders are great if you don't have to crop out the image and subjects are relative still. Otherwise you have to stick with auto-focus.

That is what I know so far.....if I learn anything knew I shall post it!
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    First, to me the horizontal image is amazing! Still sharp and looks way better!clap.gif

Focus will remain an issue even if you got 12,000 dollar 600mm F4 lens. At that zoom it has hard time figuring out which subject to focus on.

With 1.4 extender auto-focus may work more often but it not a guarantee. You still need bright light at at least F4 lens to put it on.

You did great with manual! But for birds in flight, you can imagine that is simply not possible. So it is a trade off. Extenders are great if you don't have to crop out the image and subjects are relative still. Otherwise you have to stick with auto-focus.

That is what I know so far.....if I learn anything knew I shall post it!

Odd's are I'll get a 1.4 extender for the 300L f/4, eventually. The 300L is a pretty sharp lens, and I think the next time I go to the dam I'm going to just take the 300L, and force myself to shoot with it. I know I can always crop a shot, but I prefer not to, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks for the feedback.