Options

New About Me gallery text appearing over main homepage slidshow

digitalduckdigitalduck Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited December 29, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
How guys,

So im working on an "about me" journal style page for the main menu of my site to appear below "contact me" When i set up the new gallery, and include my "bio" text in the description it appears to overlap the pics I picked to be in the slideshow on my homepage.

Im trying to just have this new "gallery" only appear when "about me" is clicked on...any ideas what happened?

TY!

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2013
    In the new gallery make the page independent by clicking "Just this gallery". Then make sure "Just this gallery" is highlighted in the flyout
    before adding any boxes to the page. Otherwise you'd add the box to one of these if it was highlighted, "homepage", "entire site",
    "all folders", or "all galleries".
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2013
    Allen, than you but not to sound like a newb, but is this just specific to the old (legacy?) version or applies to the new SM as well? Are you seeing this in the gallery settings (privacy, appearance, security etc) or somewhere else? TY
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2013
    Allen, than you but not to sound like a newb, but is this just specific to the old (legacy?) version or applies to the new SM as well? Are you seeing this in the gallery settings (privacy, appearance, security etc) or somewhere else? TY
    This is for NewSmug.
    Click customize > customize site
    On the right flyout (if a gallery) Under "All Galleries" you'll see "+ Make this gallery custom".
    Click it then click "yes".
    Now when highlighting "Just this gallery" any boxes added to the page will only be for this gallery.

It's important to make sure the right thing, area, is highlighted when editing a page.
    "homepage", "entire site", "all folders", "all galleries", "Just this gallery"

BTW, CSS changes applied to "entire site" and "all galleries" also apply to "Just this gallery".
    Any changes to "Just this gallery" CSS will override the above CSS.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2013
    When you click to "make this gallery separate". Be sure to click Done/Publish (where Publish is private to you only before you Unveil; and after you unveil, you Publish to the public).

Then re-open to customize, and go to "all galleries", or "all folders" (wherever you inadvertently placed the blocks), and delete them one at a time. Done/Publish again.

Do these 2 in 2 parts to insure you don't loose your original separate gallery.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2013
    Guys thanks for the advice so far its been great. Im still getting the about me to show on the top and not have its own page location. Im sure im missing a small step.

So here is what I did in order:
    1. Create a new gallery journal style and turn slideshow off in apperance
    2. Go to customize site, choose all galleries and make this gallery custom. The select yes
    3. Go to entire site, choose menu on the L and then thoose settings so i can link the new page to the about me page
    4. Choose preview or publish and hope for the best

So what im trying for the final outcome to be is something like i found on the SmugMug help site:
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/Galleries/About/n-gwkpW
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    Why are you creating a gallery for your about me page when you could just create a "Page" and plop an HTML/CSS block with your about-me content? Follow similar instructions but use a "page" instead of a "gallery".
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    Hmm I was wondering that myself lol guess I saw a lot of smugmug help replies which said to make a journal gallery... hmm so i like your idea better. Anything else i need to knwo before adding the CSS block? THanks!!
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    Hmm I was wondering that myself lol guess I saw a lot of smugmug help replies which said to make a journal gallery... hmm so i like your idea better. Anything else i need to knwo before adding the CSS block? THanks!!
    The "journal gallery" suggestion is a carry over from legacy where it was a convenient style to use. On
    NewSmug you can now use pages to place your info, non-photo gallery.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    And still add an image photo in the about section. correct? I must be missing something, I still see the "about me" text on top of my main page slideshow. I can add the about me page at the bottom of the menu but when i click on it it just takes me back to the slideshow.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    I personally would prefer galleries over pages because pages don't show up in the breadcrumb.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    Im confused, why should i have to go this far to create an about me page with one photo lol

http://allen-steve.smugmug.com/gallery/3819841

UPDATE: I think i got it guys, problem was i wasnt on that exact page when making changes and didn't have the background set to non instead of the slideshow from entire site. Worked when i made a gallery then went to that url first.. now i need a photo ill post final soon..

Thank you!!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited December 29, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I personally would prefer galleries over pages because pages don't show up in the breadcrumb.
    Keep in mind that something like an about page is not often shown in the context of folders and galleries. Pages make a lot of sense for things like this.

--- Denise
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »

Huh? Pages show up in the breadcrumb ... Look at my customization pages, they're all pages and they show up in the breadcrumb
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    Ow, so sorry - I picked that up from someone else who posted it. Yikes. I don't have pages myself so have never tested it. So sorry!