Options

Still romantic...

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited July 13, 2004 in People
I took this picture and never saw what I had taken until I got on the computer. I was just plain lucky to get this couple enjoying the view quietly.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions you guys have on the cropping and tweaks I did.

Here's the original:
6082860-L.jpg

and here's my 1st (OK, 2nd) attempt:

6082508-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    Hi DJ, that's terrific lighting you have on the buildings. Isn't it great to go through shots and find one that is unexpectedly good?

I think the crop you made is the best one you could make. I think it would be a stronger shot if the couple were closer to the buildings - that big gap of water really seems to separate them from the action.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    ...Isn't it great to go through shots and find one that is unexpectedly good?
    Yes, that "hey!" moment is pretty cool! This one didn't hit me until I was dragging the crop box down to the lower right, I'm a bit slow on the uptake I guess.
    wxwax wrote:
    ...I think it would be a stronger shot if the couple were closer to the buildings - that big gap of water really seems to separate them from the action.
    You know, I never noticed the gap being so big, but I remember wishing the frame wasn't quite so tall. Now that you say that, I see what you mean. Looking at the water, it may not be all that hard to slice out a strip and move them "uptown", so to speak. Great suggestion, thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    A quick stab
    at removing some harbor.

6103584-L.jpg
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    Maybe even a little more?
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    Greaper: Nice, the proportions are better. You're treatment of the water is better too, any tips?

A friend of mine suggested pumping up the water and sky a bit, but I was trying to keep it pretty basic and natural. I also tried it in B&W but it looked kind of blah.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Greaper: Nice, the proportions are better. You're treatment of the water is better too, any tips?

A friend of mine suggested pumping up the water and sky a bit, but I was trying to keep it pretty basic and natural. I also tried it in B&W but it looked kind of blah.

All I did is cut out the band of water between the waterfront on the other side and the top of the man's head. Then I used the blur tool too blend the water a bit where the cut was.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    eek7.gif OK, so we did the same thing. I thought there was some fancy stuff I was missing, I guess you just did a better job blending! thumb.gif