Options

Black-necked Stilt

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited December 30, 2013 in Wildlife
Hi Everyone!
Thank you for helping me identify four new shorebirds this past week. Now that I know about Black-necked Stilts, here is my favorite of those photos. All comments and suggestions for improvement are always appreciated! And Happy New Year to All!

Best, Pam

2012_0212_Black_Necked_Stilt_Avery_Island-1E-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2013
    It is sharp! I didn't know they had red eyes but light hit it perfectly so eye lit up. They peck at water at 100 mph so it is hard to nail the perfect reflection sharply when their beak is just touching the water or few water droplets are falling out, but angle you had, there was a chance of that happening. One way is to aim the focus point trying to predict where they peck at next. If one is lucky to take off on you while you are aiming at it, it makes for a gorgeous take off. Cheers!
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    It is sharp! I didn't know they had red eyes but light hit it perfectly so eye lit up. They peck at water at 100 mph so it is hard to nail the perfect reflection sharply when their beak is just touching the water or few water droplets are falling out, but angle you had, there was a chance of that happening. One way is to aim the focus point trying to predict where they peck at next. If one is lucky to take off on you while you are aiming at it, it makes for a gorgeous take off. Cheers!

Thank you so much for these great suggestions! I will try them this afternoon if I can get back to the ponds--lots of rain here makes getting stuck a high probability! I do have a camera that can take lots of photos in a second, so I should be able to get those shots you mentioned.

Happy New Year! Best, Pam
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2013
    Very nice, Pam.thumb.gif

No water droplets to ruin the look with blown highlights. (Normally what happens)

If possible, see if you can get a more consistent BG.

Happy New Year!
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Very nice, Pam.thumb.gif

No water droplets to ruin the look with blown highlights. (Normally what happens)

If possible, see if you can get a more consistent BG.

Happy New Year!
    How nice to hear from you, Ric! Good advice on the BG. I don't know why my birds all love to hug the detailed patchy BG's. It's like a conspiracy! Happy New Year to you! Best, Pam