Options

HELP!...How do I reposition homepage photos ??

nadyanadya Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited December 30, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi guys,
- how I can change the order of the photos displaying at my "home"?
It seems like the little square thingy up there doesn't work for me..Can that be? :scratch
thanks
nadyareid.com

Comments

• Options
    edited November 20, 2013
    HELP!...How do I reposition homepage photos ??
    Hi guys,
    - how I can change the order of the photos displaying at my "home"?
    It seems like the little square thingy up there doesn't work for me..Can that be? headscratch.gif
    thanks
    nadyareid.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2013
    What type of box are these photos in?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2013
    Also can you be more specific about "the little square thingy". What is this and where is it located?
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    What type of box are these photos in?

Homepage Multiple photos box...
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2013
    My guess is, you click the wrench on the block (upper left corner of the bar), go to select the photos, and then you click with the mouse, each photo in the order you want them to appear.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    My guess is, you click the wrench on the block (upper left corner of the bar), go to select the photos, and then you click with the mouse, each photo in the order you want them to appear.

that doesn't work... I wonder if I have to delete them and then select them all over but in the order i want them to be displayed..that would be silly though..
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited November 20, 2013
    nadya wrote: »
    I wonder if I have to delete them and then select them all over but in the order i want them to be displayed..that would be silly though..
    That's what I had to do to rearrange a multiple galleries page element - I suspect you need to do the same.

See feature request ability to change order of galleries in multiple galleries page element.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Also can you be more specific about "the little square thingy". What is this and where is it located?
    That's what I had to do to rearrange a multiple galleries page element - I suspect you need to do the same.

See feature request ability to change order of galleries in multiple galleries page element.

--- Denise

HI Denise,
    I read it, but I don't get it headscratch.gif .... what should it do? thanks so much
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2013
    Denise,

If the issue is updating a galleries content box (as opposed to a combined galleries/folders/pages content box), do you know of the partial shortcut using the "Selected" button? If this is old hat, pardon the repeat. If not, process goes like this:

Go the the galleries widget you want to update, click the wrench, and then click the "Galleries: 9 Galleries" (or how ever many) area to open the "Choose one or more galleries" window. At the upper right there is a little button that says "Selected 9" (or however many you started with). Select a gallery you want to add to the widget without de-selecting anything. The little button will say "Selected 10". You can add more. Then click that "Selected" button. A vertical window will open up with those 10 (or however many you end up with). To re-order or remove things, you have to de-select objects from *that* list and then re-select in the order you want. Click Done.

If you just want to reorder, go to the "Choose one or more galleries" window as described above and hit the "Selected" button right away.

This is no where near as simple as drop-and-drag, but de-selecting and re-selecting on the short list in the vertical window is easier than starting from scratch.

I too have a have a page where I introduce new stuff. Unfortunately for me, new things can be a mix of folders and galleries. The combined widget doesn't have the select button.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2013
    Any box you use the "I choose" method they are in the order you choose. You have to re-choose to get them in order.
    You can delete back to a spot and start there to re-choose.

I open the page in another window or tab so I can see what was there and change in the other window. Helps me remember
    what was there originally.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Any box you use the "I choose" method they are in the order you choose. You have to re-choose to get them in order.
    You can delete back to a spot and start there to re-choose.

I open the page in another window or tab so I can see what was there and change in the other window. Helps me remember
    what was there originally.

Allen - ok, that seems to be the only way I guess. Good idea on opening the new window !!! Who can remember 48 photos, eh! :D
    Maybe this will change in the future, it should be made possible under "organize" maybe one of the Smugmug heroes will read this and come up with a possibility
    regards,
    nadya
  • Options
    SunriseSurferSunriseSurfer Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2013
    nadya wrote: »
    Allen - ok, that seems to be the only way I guess. Good idea on opening the new window !!! Who can remember 48 photos, eh! :D
    Maybe this will change in the future, it should be made possible under "organize" maybe one of the Smugmug heroes will read this and come up with a possibility
    regards,
    nadya

Any update on this EXCELLENT suggestion ??

I guess I can do it the 'old fashioned' way by uploading and selecting them again.....
    ....but my homepage changes WEEKLY, sometimes daily. What a pain!

Any updates or someway easier?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited December 30, 2013
    Any update on this EXCELLENT suggestion ??

I guess I can do it the 'old fashioned' way by uploading and selecting them again.....
    ....but my homepage changes WEEKLY, sometimes daily. What a pain!

Any updates or someway easier?
    Please don't ask the same question in multiple places. That doesn't get you an answer any faster; it does make extra work for the helpers here.

I've answered your question here.

--- Denise
  • Options
    JoelGouldJoelGould Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2013
    I am having the same problem and no reply so far has been satisfying.

Here is what I want to do (which I suspect is the same thing Nadya wants to do).

On my home page I have a block of type "Multiple Photos", with the "Select From" option set to "Photos I Choose". I manually selected the photos from recent galleries and I intentionally put the most recent photos on the top and occasionally remove photos from the bottom. I currently control the display order by selecting the photos in the order I want them displayed.

Now when I have a few more recent photos I want added to the block, I am able to click the link in the Multiple Photos options popup window that say "Photos ... 17 Photos". This takes me to a photo selection page. I can then select a new photo and SmugMug will add it to the bottom of the photo block.

But I really want to be able to do two things:
    (1) Add a new photo I select to the top of the block.
    (2) Reorder the photos I selected.

Neither of these things seem possible without unselecting every photograph in the current Multiple Photos block and reselecting them again in order I want them to appear. Please tell me there is a better way. The redo from start workflow is very time consuming, especially when I decide, after seeing the photos displayed, that I want to adjust the order.

Joel Gould
    http://gouldhome.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    This has been complained about many times and Smug has been totally unresponsive.