Options

Is Smugmug right for me?

shyyshyy Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 30, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi guys,

I find this site extremely hard to finder information. My question is that I am not a pro photographer but do need a site to view my pictures. I have a concert with roughly 3,000 pictures and other misc pictures (20GB in total). I don't expect massive downloads, more for me and few people to look at. Looking at the help, I am at the basic $5 level but no where does it mention the storage size the basic level provides (or am I just blind?). Would the basic cover the 20GB be enough? How easy is this to download from? Can I upload the pictures via ftp?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2013
    Hi shyy,

All account levels offer unlimited uploads of supported file types. You can allow downloading from the gallery. People can then click on the download icon below the main image in the gallery or in the lightbox to download an image. There is no FTP access to your site.

Thanks -Scott
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Thanks for the reply, so for downloading purpose, there is no bulk way of doing so? User will have to manually right click each file? If not, would the same be for the next level of membership?
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2013
    shyy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, so for downloading purpose, there is no bulk way of doing so? User will have to manually right click each file? If not, would the same be for the next level of membership?

I agree. This is really not handy. So if I download a gallery (as owner) as a zip file I get all files in original size which is not what I want if I like to forward to someone else, although it is what I want probably for myself. Not really thought through.

It would be better if the display version you have set could be bulk downloaded for galleries that are password protected - would fit my needs better.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    chrisjohnson, can you explain more indepth? Is it just one zip file containing all the photos? 20GB in one zip file is not efficient. As the owner there is no bulk download option?
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2013
    shyy wrote: »
    chrisjohnson, can you explain more indepth? Is it just one zip file containing all the photos? 20GB in one zip file is not efficient. As the owner there is no bulk download option?

My use case is to collect all photos on smugmug, password protect the gallery, and then give the password to a "client".

As owner I can download the entire gallery as a zipped file of originals. As someone with the password I can download images one at a time - right clicking on the display is perhaps most straightforward but very tedious when there are a lot of images.

I do not want to distribute the zip file because I do not want to distribute originals.

Maybe there is an easy way for my client to download a gallery in, say, X-Large resolution or Large. I would be glad to learn how this can be done.