Options

Setup question?

smlsml Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited January 1, 2014 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have been a long time SmugMug subscriber, but just recently upgraded to "Pro."
I made my new site with one page called, "Acquire," and I intend for that to be my "commerce page." So, I made that the only gallery with a buy option.
I'm just wondering about how to restrict anyone from "lifting" my images from non-commerce pages....or should I just not worry about that? (After all, they're just going to be lower res, etc....right?) Or...should I consider watermarking or some other technique?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,453 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    The only way to prevent image theft online is to NOT post your images online. You use the Right-click protection, but people can still do a screen-print. You can also plaster a watermark on your images, but I personally hate big watermarks. Personally, I limit my images to very low resolution and no watermark.

Another personal pet-peeve is the right-click protection....I hate it, especially here on SM. It makes it more difficult to help people with web design here. When I see a site using RCP, I generally move on.
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 26, 2013
    Hi Steve, like Mike explained, it's difficult to protect your images 100% once they're online, but here are a few steps that you can take to make it harder for people to grab your photos: watermarking, limiting the maximum display size, enabling right-click protection, and disabling external embedding and sharing options. All these options are explained in more detail here:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1230107

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited December 26, 2013
    If you choose to use right click protection you should be aware that it doesn't stop people from grabbing your image. If it is displayed then the image is in the browser cache and can be grabbed from there. Don't rely on it for protection.

From the help page at http://legacyhelp.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93274#protection:
    FYI: Right-click protection is a deterrent for image theft but it should not be considered fool-proof. To truly protect your images, lock galleries with a password or apply a watermark and disable your originals.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2013
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    Hi Steve, like Mike explained, it's difficult to protect your images 100% once they're online, but here are a few steps that you can take to make it harder for people to grab your photos: watermarking, limiting the maximum display size, enabling right-click protection, and disabling external embedding and sharing options. All these options are explained in more detail here:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1230107

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero

Thanks for the feedback, links, and responses.
    I think I'll just change my size settings. And avoid right click and watermarks...for now.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2013
    Hmm....I had someone recommend that I allow all images on the website to be available for purchase rather than just focusing on an "Acquire" link. That would, in theory, address the issue of people who may want images but don't want to spend a lot of time on the site....?? And cut down on "free downloads?"
    What do you think?
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    sml wrote: »
    Hmm....I had someone recommend that I allow all images on the website to be available for purchase rather than just focusing on an "Acquire" link. That would, in theory, address the issue of people who may want images but don't want to spend a lot of time on the site....?? And cut down on "free downloads?"
    I'm not sure why cutting down on free downloads has anything to do with offering all of your photos for sale. You can eliminate free downloads by removing access to the originals.

But - if folks want to buy images in other galleries I doubt that they would look in a second gallery to buy the image. I know I wouldn't. If you think there are images in your other galleries that people might want to purchase then by all means make them available for sale.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    I'm not sure why cutting down on free downloads has anything to do with offering all of your photos for sale. You can eliminate free downloads by removing access to the originals.

But - if folks want to buy images in other galleries I doubt that they would look in a second gallery to buy the image. I know I wouldn't. If you think there are images in your other galleries that people might want to purchase then by all means make them available for sale.

--- Denise

Thanks for your advice, Denise!
    I'm not new to SmugMug, but I am new with regard to a Pro account. Not quite sure about how to use that effectively.
    I don't want to "appear" to be mercenary and commercial to friends and family who may look at my site. On the other hand, I want to allow those who would like the opportunity to buy something to be able to do that. That's why I set up a "Acquire" link.
    However, I looked at your site and notice that all the images are for sale. I'm wondering if that creates any problem from those who just want to use your site to view your images?
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Thanks for your advice, Denise!
    I'm not new to SmugMug, but I am new with regard to a Pro account. Not quite sure about how to use that effectively.
    I don't want to "appear" to be mercenary and commercial to friends and family who may look at my site. On the other hand, I want to allow those who would like the opportunity to buy something to be able to do that. That's why I set up a "Acquire" link.
    However, I looked at your site and notice that all the images are for sale. I'm wondering if that creates any problem from those who just want to use your site to view your images?
    Thanks again!

All of my photos are for sale too. My friends and family view it, as well as hopeful buyers. I don't see any problem mixing buyers and family. I had a few church friends buy my work (using discount coupon), so it works out well. :D
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    This thread is a big help for me! Thanks.

I see that some people (including those on this thread!) have copyright information on their homepage. What are the general guidelines for doing that....something elaborate or just a simple copyright (and symbol)? And do you just drag a text content block down to where you want it in order to add it?
    I've also noted that the copyright isn't on every page in some cases. Is the homepage enough?
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    This thread is a big help for me! Thanks.

I see that some people (including those on this thread!) have copyright information on their homepage. What are the general guidelines for doing that....something elaborate or just a simple copyright (and symbol)? And do you just drag a text content block down to where you want it in order to add it?
    I've also noted that the copyright isn't on every page in some cases. Is the homepage enough?

I put my copyright info on my footer, so it's visible on every page. I don't use a watermark on my images though.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    Why not put the copyright on every page? You are still showing the default smug footer and you don't need the entire section on the left. Go to your site settings and turn that off. Then place your copyright in that space.

You don't need the login link in your footer - that's only for you, not for your viewers. You can always log in to your site at www.smugmug.com.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    Good suggestion!
    Thx.