Options

Confused about organization

56Kruiser56Kruiser Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited January 1, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
The picture below explains my problem. Any help appreciated.

picture_zpsca7fe046.png

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2013
    It's showing at the top level now. Do you want to move it into the "Decor Collections"? folder?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    It's showing at the top level now. Do you want to move it into the "Decor Collections"? folder?

Sorry for the confusion. No, I want ot to be at the same level as Decor Collections.

So, my main goal, is to be able to get to it with http://shuttermaster.co/shuttermaster. I find I cannot do that unless I am logged in. I want to link it that way so anyone can get in.

I initially thought it wouldn't work because it was private. In fact I checked security, and it was marked Public, but had a password on it (I used the wrong profile when creating it). Removing the password didn't help.

So, I find that I can get to Decor Collections with a direct link, but not Tumbleweed. When I looked at the organization, I thought maybe that is the reason.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    It is at the same level, top level. Make it "unlisted" not "private". Only you as site owner can see "private".
    Also check that it might need a cap "S', Shuttermaster.

Only site service? names can be lowercase like /keyword or /search or /date.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237216
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I did not have it as private. It was public, which would seem to be find. So, I changed it to unlisted...made no difference.

To be sure this was noticed: It works fine if I am logged into the site. But if I'm not logged in, then I just get to the home page when I enter http://shuttermaster.co/tumbleweed. (BTW...case makes no difference...when logged in. Upper T, or lower t works fine when logged it.)

One thing I have not mentioned, which I am beginnign to think is at the root of this problem. I have not converted my site over yet. But of course, I must use the new design when I create a gallery, and upload to it. So, I'm thinking something about the way the new design creates it is affecting how it works when non-logged in users go to my legacy style site.

Hope that points to something that may get me going on this.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited December 31, 2013
    56Kruiser wrote: »
    One thing I have not mentioned, which I am beginning to think is at the root of this problem. I have not converted my site over yet. But of course, I must use the new design when I create a gallery, and upload to it. So, I'm thinking something about the way the new design creates it is affecting how it works when non-logged in users go to my legacy style site.
    If I remember correctly you should continue to create new galleries in legacy until you unveil. The folder structure in new smug is deeper than the category / subcategory structure in legacy.

If you create a gallery in new smug before you unveil I think it is placed in a "special" folder. You will need to move it to the proper location in legacy smug in order to see it. Unfortunately I seem to have a brain cramp at the moment and I can't remember the name of the folder. If you can see the gallery when you are logged in you should be able to locate the folder name. Move the gallery to the appropriate folder representing the legacy category or subcategory and you should be able to fix the problem.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    The link in legacy is /SmugPreview
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    I'm beginning to think it is not possible to do what I want to do. To be sure it is understood what I want to do: I want to be able to enter http://shuttermaster.co/Tumbleweed, and have that take me direct to the Gallery of photos, which is named Tumbleweed.

But it's looking like the item directly under http://shuttermaster.co must be a category.

I looked in Legacy Mode, and I find that Tumbleweed is in the Category of Smugpreview. I'm thinking it is not possible to not have a category.

I did try creating a category called Tumbleweed, and moved the gallery to that. But then when I go to the link I'm trying to achieve, it opens that category, and shows 1 galley of the same name.

Am I correct in that it's not possible to do this?
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2014
    I have not understood exactly the problem, but you can have a gallery in your main home (not in a folder). This is new in New SM.

Drag the gallery to the very top of your structure (your home).
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    I did try creating a category called Tumbleweed, and moved the gallery to that. But then when I go to the link I'm trying to achieve, it opens that category, and shows 1 galley of the same name.

Am I correct in that it's not possible to do this?
    This behaves the same way as the other categories on your site. I see you have a category of Landscapes containing a galleried called Landscapes.

I guess I'm confused. Are you trying to have a single gallery that is not in a folder (new smug) or category (legacy)?

Your site is still in legacy and it is behaving like legacy. Your existing site has galleries in categories. You have jumped around the categories by exposing your galleries directly in your navbar. You can do the same thing in new smug but you will need to rebuild your menu - only the galleries and the folder structure move over from legacy.

If you want to experiment with levels of folders then I believe you would be better off if you unveiled because legacy and new smug are different in this area.
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I have not understood exactly the problem, but you can have a gallery in your main home (not in a folder). This is new in New SM.

Drag the gallery to the very top of your structure (your home).
    The OP still has his legacy site revealed.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    I appreciate all of your input, folks. I apologize for having confused everyone. I'll lay out in more detail what I want.
    • Need to stay in legacy mode for now. Need a LOT of time to figure out how to change everyting to accomplish similar results in the new Smug
    • So, in legacy mode, I want to be able to provide this link: http://shuttermaster.co/Tumbleweed
    • I want the link above to take me directly into the gallery, with pictures. Not display the gallery where I then need to open it to see pictures.
    • NOTE: I was able to achieve that in new Smug, but again, until I have the time to make lots of changes to get the new Smug to provide an experience I need, I must stay in legacy for now.
    • NOTE 2: Yes, I do have categories containing galleries (such as Denise's example of Landscapes containing a gallery of landscapes). Not wanting to do that in this case.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    • So, in legacy mode, I want to be able to provide this link: http://shuttermaster.co/Tumbleweed
    • I want the link above to take me directly into the gallery, with pictures. Not display the gallery where I then need to open it to see pictures.
    In Legacy mode you must include the gallery id and key. Only category and subcategory names don't have those. Open the gallery in legacy mode and copy the URL from the browser bar - that will include the gallery key and id. If you open the gallery in new smug it won't because they are no longer part of the URL. But in legacy you need them to open the gallery.

If you plan to add new galleries while you are migrated but not unveiled you should add the galleries in Legacy smug, not in new smug.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    You can continue to use the legacy gallery links in NewSmug, they should be redirected to the NewSmug gallery.

When you create a new gallery on NewSmug and you have "not unveiled" the gallery will show in legacy in
    the /SmugPreview category. This is because NewSmug has no idea what the category/sub-cat
    structure is in legacy. Best to go to the cat and/or sub-cat in legacy when creating a new gallery so it
    correctly places the gallery where it belongs.

Legacy/NewSmug button toggle will appear at the top of every page and it is easy to toggle back and forth.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    Thanks again. I really appreciate the responses.

Since I can't have a simple link as I have been discussing, I ended up creating a gallery with just 3 characters, and moving Tumbleweed gallery to that. The audience it is intended for will just have to go ahead and click the gallery to get in to see the photos.

Hopefully soon, I will get time to explore this forum and start learning how to customize the new format for SmugMug.