Options

Koda theme, smugmug gallery style- needs cleanup

4seasons4seasons Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
edited January 1, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
I'm using the Koda theme with Smugmug galleries: www.fourseasonsphoto.biz. I don't like some of the placement.

1. Too much space between menu and logo on gallery pages. It's distracting. Any way to decrease that space? I wouldn't mind putting menu below logo (like home page) IF I didn't have to type all the links again, although drop-downs might cover too much of images.

2. Main photo is too small...no impact. I like thumbnail sizes. Have it set on fixed instead of stretchy...any suggestions?

3. the randomness of placement of comments, photo info share button, etc...seems a little "junky". Any way to rearrange it...maybe comments on left with separator between and all the other junk on right? vertical spacing between filename and comments box is also too much.

I am a graphic designer with no css experience, so this is a lot of work.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    thanks for the help. This disgusts me. My site is ugly - everything just floats around. One shouldn't have to know CSS to fix it (learning curve admittedly steep!) I'm about ready to cancel my subscription.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    I would rather spend time on my photography, not website design
    Several problems as indicated in screen shot. As a photographer, I do not have time to learn css, which Smugmug admits has a steep learning curve. I find this upgrade to be a downgrade. Would like to get some help, but no one will help me. thanks. Ugliness attached.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2014
    Really surprised nobody saw this until now.

It looks like you need to put your home page's logo/navigation in the On "Entire Site" section, and not in the Homepage. This way your logo/nav will carry through on all pages.

As far as the Smugmug galleries. I hate them and I've always hated them. I use the Thumbnail Galleries mainly because it matches my Wordpress site. There isn't much (that I know of) that can fix the Smugmug Galleries.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 1, 2014
    4seasons wrote: »
    1. Too much space between menu and logo on gallery pages. It's distracting. Any way to decrease that space? I wouldn't mind putting menu below logo (like home page) IF I didn't have to type all the links again, although drop-downs might cover too much of images.
    For your header spacing you probably need to adjust the margins for both the logo and your menu bar. The margins are available by clicking the dimensions button on each of the containers - that's the button that looks like a triangle.

To add a line above your logo, customize the page and drag in a separator from the Design section of Content Layout.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    For your header spacing you probably need to adjust the margins for both the logo and your menu bar. The margins are available by clicking the dimensions button on each of the containers - that's the button that looks like a triangle.

To add a line above your logo, customize the page and drag in a separator from the Design section of Content Layout.

--- Denise

See this Denise: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=241311
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    I've merged your two threads since they seem to be asking the same questions.

In the future if you don't get a response to your thread add a post to the thread to bump it back to the top of the forum. That should help get you better attention.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    Thanks Mike - I just merged the two threads.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    2. Main photo is too small...no impact. I like thumbnail sizes. Have it set on fixed instead of stretchy...any suggestions?
    The size of the photo in smugmug style in legacy was determined based on the amount of vertical space available on the page under the header / navbar. I'm not sure if the same algorithm is used in new smug but I suspect some variation of that is used.

Setting your site to fixed instead of stretchy means your site will not use the full width of the browser window. It also means that you have set a fixed width for your content. That will also limit the size of the large photo shown in smugmug styled galleries. But - in a quick look through your site I haven't found a gallery locked into smugmug style.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    Really surprised nobody saw this until now.

It looks like you need to put your home page's logo/navigation in the On "Entire Site" section, and not in the Homepage. This way your logo/nav will carry through on all pages.

As far as the Smugmug galleries. I hate them and I've always hated them. I use the Thumbnail Galleries mainly because it matches my Wordpress site. There isn't much (that I know of) that can fix the Smugmug Galleries.

I do want the logo on the home page larger than the rest and I'm fairly satisfied with the home page, the galleries are what need work. Thanks for answering...I'll try a different gallery style.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014

--- Denise
    I don't have the option to change margins, the logo and menu bar say "entire" site and only allow the "wrench" edit. I've changed gallery style to thumbnails and now my logo is too far left and does not align to the photos. Not crazy about any of the gallery design options.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    Thanks, all... Didn't realize by clicking on Entire Site -in right side black customize bar, that it would allow you to make further edits. I really don't think it is intuitive enough and improvements in interface are still being made, maybe?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    Thanks, all... Didn't realize by clicking on Entire Site -in right side black customize bar, that it would allow you to make further edits. I really don't think it is intuitive enough and improvements in interface are still being made, maybe?

Just my opinion, but I think SM has always had an issue with "intuitive' things. I can't find things that should be more apparent. ne_nau.gif