Options

Lightroom won't import all images

B643B643 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited January 3, 2014 in Digital Darkroom
This just recently started and I am perplexed why...

LR does its thing but for some reason I always get a pop up window telling me that LR could not import XXX files because they were not readable (usually between 5 and 80 files). However I can go directly back into the import process and select those photos manually and begin importing them. But after about 5 to 20 files, the message appears again. It is a pain to have to write down the file names and then go back in and import them. At first I thought it was a bad card but it happens on other cards too. I upgraded to Lightroom 5.3 hoping this would fix the problem. I then tried to upload 90 images into my LR catalog...it is accepting anywhere from 5 to 15 images then telling me the rest are not readable. I eject my card put it back in and go through the whole process again.

Again, this just recently started...I haven't done anything different than I have in the past.

I was using LR 5.2 with Windows 7 when this started and now I have gone to LR 5.3 :dunno

Comments

• Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2014
    FWIW, make sure that the rest of your Lightroom folders are still in good shape. This, though not exactly the same, is reminiscent of when my images hard drive started failing, and was eventually causing corruption in my LR catalogue, which was on a separate drive. It seemed to happen slowly over a couple of weeks, until LR could no longer read the images, and the file names on the pic drive got re-written with cryptic names. I attributed my failure to the catalogue drive that was running too hot; have since replaced both drives, and placed into fan cooled enclosures.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    B643B643 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2014
    aj986s wrote: »
    FWIW, make sure that the rest of your Lightroom folders are still in good shape. This, though not exactly the same, is reminiscent of when my images hard drive started failing, and was eventually causing corruption in my LR catalogue, which was on a separate drive. It seemed to happen slowly over a couple of weeks, until LR could no longer read the images, and the file names on the pic drive got re-written with cryptic names. I attributed my failure to the catalogue drive that was running too hot; have since replaced both drives, and placed into fan cooled enclosures.

Thank you for your reply. My computer is new...had it built locally in August for my specifications. I seemed to have found the problem and it was a simple fix...my card reader on the computer had a bent pin...therefore all the information could not be downloaded off my card at one time.

I hope this will help others that run into the same problem. Whether it is the hard drive as mentioned by aj or simply a bent pin you will have a place to start to figure out the problem.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2014
    B643 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. My computer is new...had it built locally in August for my specifications. I seemed to have found the problem and it was a simple fix...my card reader on the computer had a bent pin...therefore all the information could not be downloaded off my card at one time.

I hope this will help others that run into the same problem. Whether it is the hard drive as mentioned by aj or simply a bent pin you will have a place to start to figure out the problem.

Glad to hear you found the problem, and that it was an easy fix. I'll definitely keep an eye on the pins from now on.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com