Options

How do I add more icons to the social icons?

ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
edited January 3, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
I've seen dozens of sites that have many more icons than FB and Twitter.
How do I add them? Example (non-SM site) attached.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 3, 2014
    drag in a social icons content block, click the wrench icon, on the Basic tab scroll down and turn on the services you want.

--- Denise
  • Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2014
    If you are looking to include sites that SmugMug doesnt include by default, you would need to use an HTML block and create the links manually.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    drag in a social icons content block, click the wrench icon, on the Basic tab scroll down and turn on the services you want.

--- Denise

Denise, I don't see any other than the default Twitter and Facebook.
    Wait - the social icons block? That block require URLs. I thought those were supposed to be MY accounts on the respective sites, e.g., Youtube.

Only the Share Buttons block is the share out block, correct?

I see, html...
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    jwashburn wrote: »
    If you are looking to include sites that SmugMug doesnt include by default, you would need to use an HTML block and create the links manually.

Thanks. I was kind of afraid of that.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Denise, I don't see any other than the default Twitter and Facebook.
    Wait - the social icons block? That block require URLs. I thought those were supposed to be MY accounts on the respective sites, e.g., Youtube.
    No - you need to specify your URLs. How would smug know what those URLs are???

Drag in a social icons block, turn the type of icon on, supply your URL.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    No - you need to specify your URLs. How would smug know what those URLs are???

Drag in a social icons block, turn the type of icon on, supply your URL.

--- Denise

DUHHHHH. rolleyes1.gif
    OMG. rolleyes1.gif

:D
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    Wait - If a person is in a gallery somewhere on the site, will clicking the icon, give the (FB, for example) site, the link to the gallery where the icon was clicked? Wouldn't it only bring the person to the homepage if that is the URL I supply?

I tried leaving the URL field blank but the block doesn't allow that.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    The links take you to Facebook, or whatever other Social site you have. Where do you want it to go?
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    The links take you to Facebook, or whatever other Social site you have. Where do you want it to go?

Okay I clearly have not understood the structure of this kind of link. I thought by putting my URL in the block, that's what would paste into the social site. From what you just said - am I understanding this - clicking the icon will take one to the social site, but automatically input the URL of my site, including the gallery the visitor is in at the time s/he clicked the icon?
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    Okay I clearly have not understood the structure of this kind of link. I thought by putting my URL in the block, that's what would paste into the social site. From what you just said - am I understanding this - clicking the icon will take one to the social site, but automatically input the URL of my site, including the gallery the visitor is in at the time s/he clicked the icon?
    You need to put the URL to you on that social network, not a link to your gallery. The links are from your smug site to your social site.

I don't know if there is a track of where the user came from since I don't use these on my site. I would guess that it doesn't track the origin.
    Why don't you add one and see what it does?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014

It just takes them to the social site. Its not a SHARE link. It just points visitors to your site to your sical media locations online. Thats all.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    It just takes them to the social site. Its not a SHARE link. It just points visitors to your site to your sical media locations online. Thats all.

Thanks, that really nails it. Can I add social SHARE icons? With html? (I would think now, how would the code know to grab the URL of the page one is one?)
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    Thanks, that really nails it. Can I add social SHARE icons? With html? (I would think now, how would the code know to grab the URL of the page one is one?)
    Can you explain what it is that you are trying to do?

The social icons do what they are meant to do - provide an icon that when clicked will link to your presence on the selected social site. I'm not using them because I have menu entries for both my blog and my Google+ id so I don't need the social icons. But my menu entries do what the social icons were meant to do.

If you're looking for the ability for your viewers to share something from your site your options are more limited than with the social icons. I see Facebook, Google+, and Twitter listed. See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1218610-how-can-owners-and-viewers-share-photos-from-smugmug-.

--- Denise