Options

Dynamic Menus & alike

rsirotarsirota Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited January 4, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
Folks,

I want to use the Turbo site template but would like to know if you can customize it to do the following? (This just doesn't apply to Turbo)

1) Dynamically change the contents of the menu... Let's say I'm in category X, I only want to show menu item 1 & 2 but if I go into category Y the menu will change to 2 & 3.

2) In the same vein, in the turbo if I am showing an image logo I want it ti change depending on what category I'm in...

Any help would be great...
Rob Sirota
Web: www.robsirotaphotography.comwww.k9-pix.comwww.rsirota.com
Nikon... All Nikon (D4/D810/Dƒ)
... OK I do have a PhaseOne 645DF+ w/IQ250

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2014
    You can make a folder, gallery, or page, separate. Then create your navigation menu with all links exactly the way you want, in each. I'm not sure quite what you mean by "dynamic", however. This would be a labor intensive process on your part. You set up all links in a menu.

I currently have a separate menu on the home page, and "entire site". This means when I make a change in my gallery organization, I have to be vigilant to update both sections.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2014
    Thanks... Can you post a link to your site?
    Rob Sirota
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2014
    rsirota wrote: »

Click on ChancyRat's name > click on her Homepage link in the drop down menu
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 4, 2014
    1) Dynamically change the contents of the menu... Let's say I'm in category X, I only want to show menu item 1 & 2 but if I go into category Y the menu will change to 2 & 3.

Web: www.rsirota.comwww.robsirotaphotography.com
    Not an answer to your question, but...

Are you aware of this behavior on your site? I've seen it on both Chrome and Firefox, haven't tried other browsers.
    • If I open www.rsirota.com the menu entries are set to /# and go nowhere.
    • If I open www.robsirotaphotography.com, clicking Portfolio opens a new browser tab with what appears to be the same web page inside the webpage but with Portfolio opened. That is, I see two menu bars, two logos.
    • If I click one of the entries within Portfolio then a slideshow opens for that entry. I see only one header and menu but I have been flipped to www.rsirota.com with non-working navbar entries.
    I suspect this isn't what you intended; it makes your site pretty much unusable.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2014

I think you found it?
    :)
    You hopefully mostly cannot tell that the topnav differs on the homepage from the rest of the site, because I tried to duplicate them. Because I have my homepage set to "separate", I needed to set up two navbars. I would like them to be "one", but separating the homepage didn't let that be.

Best is that you try it. Go to a page that you want to have a unique menu, "make this page separate", drag in the menu, set up the links.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2014
    Not an answer to your question, but...

Are you aware of this behavior on your site? I've seen it on both Chrome and Firefox, haven't tried other browsers.
    • If I open www.rsirota.com the menu entries are set to /# and go nowhere.
    • If I open www.robsirotaphotography.com, clicking Portfolio opens a new browser tab with what appears to be the same web page inside the webpage but with Portfolio opened. That is, I see two menu bars, two logos.
    • If I click one of the entries within Portfolio then a slideshow opens for that entry. I see only one header and menu but I have been flipped to www.rsirota.com with non-working navbar entries.
    I suspect this isn't what you intended; it makes your site pretty much unusable.

--- Denise

My site is in flux right now...
    Rob Sirota