Options

New Background Photo feature.

ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
edited January 10, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I am playing with the new feature of being able to add a photo or slide show to your website and have it fit the full screen. when I went to click on the photo I want to use it becomes extremely pixelated. I am curious is there a certain size the photo should be.. I have my sight to be viewed "stretchy". My end result is Im think of adding an image at a very low opacity to add some texture to background.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,250 moderator
    edited January 4, 2014
    I don't have an official answer but I have a question for you. It looks like you have limited photos on your site to Large and XLarge. Those are pretty small in the context of today's monitors. Have you tried putting your background photo in a separate unlisted gallery with X3Large (or maybe even Original) enabled?

I would guess you might also need a higher resolution original, but I could be wrong there.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2014
    ko04 wrote: »
    I am playing with the new feature of being able to add a photo or slide show to your website and have it fit the full screen. when I went to click on the photo I want to use it becomes extremely pixelated. I am curious is there a certain size the photo should be.. I have my sight to be viewed "stretchy". My end result is Im think of adding an image at a very low opacity to add some texture to background.

Great question.
    I'm all ear.gif for an answer myself.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2014
    I don't have an official answer but I have a question for you. It looks like you have limited photos on your site to Large and XLarge. Those are pretty small in the context of today's monitors. Have you tried putting your background photo in a separate unlisted gallery with X3Large (or maybe even Original) enabled?

I would guess you might also need a higher resolution original, but I could be wrong there.

--- Denise

Denise thank you for your response to answer your question I set my images to Large for personal reasons I have a 27in monitor myself and don't find it being that big of an issue size wise. I have not tried to put the background photo on in a separate gallery I will give that a try and report back. Lastly it wouldn't be a resolution issue because I have a pretty high quality camera. Thanks for your response once again and I am going to try your suggestion.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2014
    UPDATE: So I tried doing it in a separate gallery and tried setting the photo size to all different sizes starting from original down. It does make a difference on what size you set your gallery to on the photo your using but as you can see on this test gallery http://www.k-ophotography.com/Other/Test-Gallery/n-Z3Xtj the image is getting adjusted. So I wonder if there is a pixel dimension suggested by smugmug to use when using this feature. Most of the time from the little web design experience I have by knowing the pixel dimensions and creating the image to fit those dimensions you can have your photo viewed and not loose any quality in the image. In the end I guess it wouldn't be that big of a problem since I am going to lower the opacity anyways but it would be nice to do this right.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,250 moderator
    edited January 5, 2014
    ko04 wrote: »
    UPDATE: So I tried doing it in a separate gallery and tried setting the photo size to all different sizes starting from original down. It does make a difference on what size you set your gallery to on the photo your using but as you can see on this test gallery http://www.k-ophotography.com/Other/Test-Gallery/n-Z3Xtj the image is getting adjusted.
    This doesn't answer your question but I think you might find this post by pilotdave interesting - http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1934300&postcount=43.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2014
    Thank Denise you are always full of great info and recourse