viewing 30000 pictures

dirtroaddavedirtroaddave Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
edited January 8, 2014 in Finishing School
Any link or thoughts on the best way to view all my shots.

My mac books can seem to keeep up with the amount of pics.

Iphoto and picasa also dont float my boat either.

I am ready to invest in a new machine either windows or mac and software as long as it flies fast..

best

Davey

Comments

• dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2014
    Light Room
    Duke
  • dirtroaddavedirtroaddave Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2014
    machine
    On what kind of computer do you suggest?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 6, 2014
    I have about 90,000 raw files in my Lightroom library, that I view on my 5-6 year old MaxPro ( ver 3.1 ) in OS 10.8.5

Any of the current iMacs or MacBookPros should work even faster. Get as much Ram as you can afford, and keep your image files and your catalog files on an external hard drive with a fast connection, either Thunderbolt, or eSata.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited January 7, 2014
    excellent picked up a lacie orange tbolt yesterday and moved everything onto it so my mac book pro is empty. Ordered 16 gig ram and looked at a new imac in the store yesterday.

Any tips for a noob using Lightroom. I am thinking now that my iphoto library is on my external drive, when I started lightroom it wanted to import. That doesn't mean it will copy all my iphotos back to my mac book pro. Actually I dont see the iphoto library but I do see another directory with some of my other pics.
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I have about 90,000 raw files in my Lightroom library, that I view on my 5-6 year old MaxPro ( ver 3.1 ) in OS 10.8.5

Any of the current iMacs or MacBookPros should work even faster. Get as much Ram as you can afford, and keep your image files and your catalog files on an external hard drive with a fast connection, either Thunderbolt, or eSata.
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2014
    Just select "ADD". It will add the files into the data base, and leave them where they are.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited January 7, 2014
    thanks I added them and is performing a milion times better than iphoto!!

Gary752 wrote: »
    Just select "ADD". It will add the files into the data base, and leave them where they are.

GaryB
  • perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2014
    If I am strictly "viewing" my photos, I typically use Photo Mechanic. I haven't found anything out there that is faster for doing what it can do (view, cull, metadata tag, crop, straighten, upload). For manipulation purposes, yes, LR is quite good. I use it and Capture One Pro.

I tend to work in large batches, then archive. So I've moved my primary work to all solid state. I go from the cards to an SSD and do most of my work at that level. Then I archive off to spinning media. My workflow is about 10x as fast now as it was recently on spinning medial. I have also moved to all USB3.0/Thunderbolt and this is a large part of the speedup as well.

Best of luck!
    edited January 8, 2014
    thank you
    If I am strictly "viewing" my photos, I typically use Photo Mechanic. I haven't found anything out there that is faster for doing what it can do (view, cull, metadata tag, crop, straighten, upload). For manipulation purposes, yes, LR is quite good. I use it and Capture One Pro.

I tend to work in large batches, then archive. So I've moved my primary work to all solid state. I go from the cards to an SSD and do most of my work at that level. Then I archive off to spinning media. My workflow is about 10x as fast now as it was recently on spinning medial. I have also moved to all USB3.0/Thunderbolt and this is a large part of the speedup as well.

Best of luck!