Options

Creating a blog in Smugmug

rodmanlabrodmanlab Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited January 10, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
Hi,

I almost jumped to Squarespace a few months ago because of their excellent blog integration. I would like to do this with SmugMug but don't know how ...

any tips? go with Wordpress instead? or any way to do this within SmugMug?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited January 7, 2014
    It depends what you are after.

There are some folks who have created a blog on their smugmug site by building pages. Here's an article about creating a photo blog on a smugmug site - http://school.smugmug.com/SmugMug-Tips/How-to-Make-a-Photo-Blog.

I've had a blog in Blogger for many years, long enough that moving it to my smug site wouldn't work for me. In addition, I believe that using a blogging platform that is built for a combination of photos and text makes more sense for me. A link to my blog is in my signature if you'd like to see an example.

There are quite a few folks here who have blogs in Wordpress and photos in smugmug.

How often are you planning to publish a blog entry? If it's just occasional then using pages in your smug site might make you happy. If it's more often you may be happier using a blogging platform.

What do you consider to be a blog? If your blog is primarily captioned photos then a blog in smug may work well.

If you're trying to drive traffic to your smug site then a blog elsewhere with direct links to your smug site might make more sense.

--- Denise
  • Options
    rodmanlabrodmanlab Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2014
    Hi Denise,

I definitely want to drive more traffic, but I rather say that the following explains it better:
    - Do a quick "preview" of an event / shoot I just did (maybe facebook would suffice for this?)
    - Tips / articles for photographers
    - I would love to post on a weekly basis, not ready for daily commitment

I like the tutorial mentioned by you, the layout is something I am not crazy about though, looks a bit weird and the blog page itself shows previous blogs in a way that doesn't quite convince me.

Did a bit of playing with it, I'll spend more time on this.

Rod
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited January 10, 2014
    rodmanlab wrote: »
    I definitely want to drive more traffic, but I rather say that the following explains it better:
    - Do a quick "preview" of an event / shoot I just did (maybe facebook would suffice for this?)
    - Tips / articles for photographers
    - I would love to post on a weekly basis, not ready for daily commitment

I like the tutorial mentioned by you, the layout is something I am not crazy about though, looks a bit weird and the blog page itself shows previous blogs in a way that doesn't quite convince me.

Did a bit of playing with it, I'll spend more time on this.
    Based on your description I suspect using a blogging tool like Blogger or Wordpress would better meet your needs. I've matched my blog (hosted at www.blogger.com) to my smug site.

--- Denise