Text writing features

smlsml Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited January 11, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Please allow improved, broader "text" features. That is, I'd like to enter text with different fonts and colors, etc. in different locations on my page. But, I am limited to default options.
For example, I'd like to have the same font and font color appear throughout my site.

It would be a bonus for those of us who have little or no code experience or expertise to do that.

Comments

• LindyLindy Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2014
    Hey Steve,

You want to use your Themes to select your fonts. You can go with a site wide theme, or if you'd like different things on different pages, create another one, choosing different fonts, colors, backgrounds or whatever you want to change. You can apply the different themes to specific pages only. With that, you would not need to apply any CSS.

Hit Customize > Customize Site and click on the Themes tab in your menu. There you will find the option to create new themes. Once created, your themes will be displayed under "My Themes" at the bottom of that tab.

This page should be helpful to you: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1210627

I hope this gets you where you want to be!
    Lindy
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2014
    Lindy wrote: »
    Hey Steve,

You want to use your Themes to select your fonts. You can go with a site wide theme, or if you'd like different things on different pages, create another one, choosing different fonts, colors, backgrounds or whatever you want to change. You can apply the different themes to specific pages only. With that, you would not need to apply any CSS.

Hit Customize > Customize Site and click on the Themes tab in your menu. There you will find the option to create new themes. Once created, your themes will be displayed under "My Themes" at the bottom of that tab.

This page should be helpful to you: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1210627

Lindy
    SmugMug Support Hero

I think what he means is the text content block should be more like the text editor right here on dgrin or what they have over at zenfolio... but better.

Dave
  • smlsml Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2014
    pilotdave wrote: »
    I think what he means is the text content block should be more like the text editor right here on dgrin or what they have over at zenfolio... but better.

Dave

Yes.....
    I have a font that I use in various places around my site. And a particular color for the font. However, if I want to enter text into a text block, I cannot get that font or color....unless I know/use code. I can't even get it so that there are spaces between sentences!!
    I would think that would be a necessary feature for people wanting to make an "about me" bio link, for example. Or type in some information about a page, etc. Something that would match what I'm using elsewhere and with "proper" punctuation and formatting available.
    Thx.
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2014
    FWIW, I raised a feature request for that a couple of months ago: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=242605

As we've come to expect, nothing has happened yet.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
    edited January 11, 2014
    beardedgit wrote: »
    FWIW, I raised a feature request for that a couple of months ago: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=242605

As we've come to expect, nothing has happened yet.
    I did a "little" search before I posted this request...obviously not a good enough search!! haha
    But, I'm not surprised that others have noticed this issue. Glad to know I'm not the only one!
    And, thanks for jogging my mind...I forgot the term, WYSIWYG.
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2014
    sml wrote: »
    But, I'm not surprised that others have noticed this issue. Glad to know I'm not the only one!
    We're an army of two. That's not enough to get anything done around here.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
    edited January 11, 2014
    Lindy
    SmugMug Support Hero

Can you help with this issue, please, Lindy?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited January 11, 2014
    Can you help with this issue, please, Lindy?
    I'm not sure what you're expecting. Lindy suggested a method to use different fonts on different pages or galleries. Based on your response it appears that isn't what you want, but you should also realize that it's not common for feature requests that we post to be implemented as soon as we request them.

If you want to use different fonts within a page or gallery you might try the method leftquark has posted here - http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Fonts-Links/Google-Fonts.

--- Denise
    edited January 11, 2014
    I'm not sure what you're expecting. Lindy suggested a method to use different fonts on different pages or galleries. Based on your response it appears that isn't what you want, but you should also realize that it's not common for feature requests that we post to be implemented as soon as we request them.

If you want to use different fonts within a page or gallery you might try the method leftquark has posted here - http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Fonts-Links/Google-Fonts.

--- Denise

You may notice that is not the type of font "help" I was requesting.
    And I specifically don't want to use any coding.
    WYSIWYG is essentially my request.
    And I was not asking Lindy to implement the request as much as champion the issue, so to speak.
    Thanks.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2014
    You may notice that is not the type of font "help" I was requesting.
    And I specifically don't want to use any coding.
    WYSIWYG is essentially my request.
    And I was not asking Lindy to implement the request as much as champion the issue, so to speak.
    Thanks.

As impressive as the new smugmug customizing seems to be at first, you quickly realize how limited it really is. If there's no built-in feature to do what you want, or it doesn't work as expected, coding is your only option.

I agree with the feature request but smugmug seems unable to fix simple bugs that have existed since the big unveil last summer. Almost seems pointless to ask for anything new or improved.

Dave