The Bicycle Thread

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited January 11, 2014
    I'll just say this and that is there are a very small minority of people who control access in this state. And they aren't in it for everyone.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2014
    Same story in Boulder :(
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 13, 2014
    bike21 wrote: »
    Same story in Boulder :(

What? Right now you have the multi-day Cyclocross Championships just over at Valmont Park, which has been totally converted for the purpose. That is something special, isn't it? There aren't too many communities that would bend for that activity, and in the middle of their town no less.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited January 13, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    What? Right now you have the multi-day Cyclocross Championships just over at Valmont Park, which has been totally converted for the purpose. That is something special, isn't it? There aren't too many communities that would bend for that activity, and in the middle of their town no less.

Without derailing this anymore than it already has, access issues are a big deal these days. Almost all the national forests are required to produce travel management plans-which severely limit travel on even existing roads. Many environmental groups are using the courts to close down areas or to severely restrict the activities that occur there. It's a shame because more and more people are being jammed into smaller and smaller open spaces-and this can only lead to more conflict and more closures.

</soapbox>
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2014

Just for the sake of a bit more explanation/discussion, I'll point-out that Cyclocross is a distinct sub-genre of bicycle riding/racing.
    It has similarities to Mountain Biking, but is more rooted in road-biking in terms of bicycle configuration and event/race staging.

Trail Mountain Biking - which, I think, is what Ian, Nick, and I are more specifically referring to, is conducted on a much more widespread and
    often informal basis (weekend warriors etc.) that depends on access to rural trail systems that offer features and terrain that MTB'ers prefer.
    Any opportunity for riding in any discipline is appreciated, but, as mentioned in this thread, opposition to trail access for bicyclists is widespread, and - to us - many times, unreasonable.
    Thanks for listening... as you can tell, it's an important issue to us.

My friend Louie catching a wee bit of air!

Air%20Louie-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited February 27, 2014
    Nighttime is the Right-time
    Nitetime%20is%20the%20Ritetime-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Nitetime%20is%20the%20Ritetime-XL.jpg

Compelling shot my friend! It grows on you! I don't know if experimentation would necessarily lead to better results, but I would first play with temp and see if warmer is better. I would also explore mono-chrome option! Cheers!
    edited February 27, 2014

Coolio! I like it.
    edited February 27, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Compelling shot my friend! It grows on you! I don't know if experimentation would necessarily lead to better results, but I would first play with temp and see if warmer is better. I would also explore mono-chrome option! Cheers!
    ian408 wrote: »
    Coolio! I like it.

Thanks guys, for the look and comments...

Taz, this one stubbornly resisted tweaking (I beat it with a stick :D), due to the limitations
    of my cellphone at night and the odd LED lighting... so, I went for "stylized". Thanks for the suggestions thumb.gif.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited February 28, 2014

Taz, this one stubbornly resisted tweaking (I beat it with a stick :D), due to the limitations
    of my cellphone at night and the odd LED lighting... so, I went for "stylized". Thanks for the suggestions thumb.gif.

What? Are we allowed to post cell phone pick here?lol3.gif
    edited February 28, 2014
    What? Are we allowed to post cell phone pick here?lol3.gif
    He He.... But, you know what?... I am often impressed with the IQ possible with the Samsung Galaxy S4 (13 Mpixel).
    Daylight images - with the exception of noticeable halos on high-contrast edges are pretty good - maybe on a par
    with a w/a lens on an point-and-shoot or entry-level dslr - good enough to document my bike rides, and I'm not tempted at all to lug the Canon out to the trails.

Watch-out! Cell phones are plotting an eventual AI World Domination Network.... lol3.gif

Ride%20with%20a%20View-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    B-day present to me a few years ago.... I've had a lot of good miles on this thing.
    i-CxCgBtN-L.jpg
    edited February 28, 2014
    He He.... But, you know what?... I am often impressed with the IQ possible with the Samsung Galaxy S4 (13 Mpixel).
    Daylight images - with the exception of noticeable halos on high-contrast edges are pretty good - maybe on a par
    with a w/a lens on an point-and-shoot or entry-level dslr - good enough to document my bike rides, and I'm not tempted at all to lug the Canon out to the trails.

Watch-out! Cell phones are plotting an eventual AI World Domination Network.... lol3.gif

This pic could be a test question - which camera spit it out....D800, MK-III, Kentax-P30, Cellphone, Other. Pretty impressive!
  • JeffC230JeffC230 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    My bike can beat your bike

DSC_0750-XL.jpg
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
    http://www.photospaced.com
    edited February 28, 2014
    You could probably sell that bike to rustaholics on the board for bunch of money!nod.gif
  • JeffC230JeffC230 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    You could probably sell that bike to rustaholics on the board for bunch of money!nod.gif

I could never sell Rusty....I love him way too much. How much money we talking about here? haha jk jk
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
    http://www.photospaced.com
    edited March 1, 2014

First of all, it's RUST JUNKIE - rustaholics have a actual problem and need treatment... :D
    Second, no self-respecting RJ would ever pay for it... poaching is the de rigueur technique. :ivar
    JeffC230 wrote: »
    I could never sell Rusty....I love him way too much. How much money we talking about here? haha jk jk

That's right Jeff, you keep Rusty... everyone should own a bike!
    Though, I recommend you pop for a new seat before you hurt yourself...rolleyes1.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • photobikerphotobiker Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2014
    This is not a particularly good photo but I'm impressed. There were quite a few people peddling to the top of Pikes Peak, 14,110 feet. My hat's off to them.

IMG_4407_zpscd38bb02.jpg
    edited March 1, 2014
    photobiker wrote: »
    .....My hat's off to them.

I agree! clap.gif
    I live at 0-1700 ft., and a couple of weeks ago, I biked at 6000 ft.
    It liked to kill me!
    But, I am an old guy with a shady past, so, par-for-the-course... :D

Welcome to Dgrin photobiker... wave.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • photobikerphotobiker Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2014
    I agree! clap.gif
    I live at 0-1700 ft., and a couple of weeks ago, I biked at 6000 ft.
    It liked to kill me!
    But, I am an old guy with a shady past, so, par-for-the-course... :D

Welcome to Dgrin photobiker... wave.gif

Thank you sir. Didn't see an intro area so I just jumped in. Been pokin around here for quite awhile just didn't join. Been taking pictures for 40 plus years and some of them are actually photographs. I think most fall into the snap shot category but they invoke memories never the less and that is what it is all about.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2014
    With all the miles of wear & tear on my bunged up knees, this is what my ride is now. Still have my MB, but it's just a pain machine now eek7.gif

This Townie 21T (crank forward design) = Comfy, comfy... No more knee pain, even on 20 mile rides! And yes, we still do some mild single tracks with them. (Although my Mini-Ape Hangers are tough to get through the tight spots) rolleyes1.gif

I'll leave all the macho stuff to you younger fellas.

i-8V4DmvQ-XL.jpg
    Randy
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited March 10, 2014
    Randy, I used to sell Townies, and it was amazing to see people get back into cycling after having written it off following injury, age, balance issue, etc. Glad you now have a ride that gets you back out there!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited March 11, 2014
    That's a pretty well pimped-out Townie Randy... looks like a fun ride! thumb.gif
    I love the red spokes...
    I'm thinking a set of streamers might look good too - red to match the spokes, or black to match the bars!

My wife has a ladies Townie 21 and it's been the only design that has given her
    the comfort and stability to ride with me (on hard surface) for casual fun.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2014
    Randy,

If those are Mini Ape-Hangers, I'd hate to run across a set of Maxi Ape-Hangers. Daytona cops now issue tickets to motorcyclists having hangers with over 15" extension. Seriously though, I'd go with anything that increased the comfy factor. Red spokes!!! Boy, we're stepping out a little bit, ain't we. Shoot, you could install a playing card with a clothespin on those spokes....make some sweet music, maybe even rustle up a coyote or two. Ah, I'm just funning you pard....you know that.

WAIT A MINUTE!! What's that? Holy crap.....a pink water bottle. They allow that in Texas?

On the run and dodging bullets,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited March 11, 2014
    Randy, I used to sell Townies, and it was amazing to see people get back into cycling after having written it off following injury, age, balance issue, etc. Glad you now have a ride that gets you back out there!

Hey David,

Yep that's us. We had given up riding due to my knees. The Townies are great and we're enjoying pedaling again!
    Randy
    edited March 11, 2014
    That's a pretty well pimped-out Townie Randy... looks like a fun ride! thumb.gif
    I love the red spokes...
    I'm thinking a set of streamers might look good too - red to match the spokes, or black to match the bars!

My wife has a ladies Townie 21 and it's been the only design that has given her
    the comfort and stability to ride with me (on hard surface) for casual fun.

Howdy Eric,

Pimped out... You have no idea...

I like to ride with my fur hat and spajangled cowboy boots!

Streamers... Naw. Tried em'. They got all caught-up in the spokes. A nasty spill it was. Fire Dept had to use the jaws of life to cut me loose rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited March 11, 2014
    WAIT A MINUTE!! What's that? Holy crap.....a pink water bottle. They allow that in Texas?

Tom

THAT explains it!!!
    I got run off of the trails twice last week with buckshot! Had no idea the water bottle was pink eek7.gif

Great...Now all I need is for Sam to come snooping around and hold me to account for that water bottle umph.gif He just busted me for having a cup holder on my motorcycle...

Side Note:(And this will be an enjoyable one)
    You, Eric and Sam are calling down the thunder. There's a reckoning to be had at the get-together rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited March 11, 2014
    rwells wrote: »
    Howdy Eric,

Pimped out... You have no idea...

I like to ride with my fur hat and spajangled cowboy boots!

Well, if your aim is to go Full-Tilt-Texas, I would expect to see a set of Long Horns and a Rifle Rack... at the minimum... thumb.gif

And, with regard to your riding outfit, I insist on seeing pictures of that... deal.gifrolleyes1.gif

Reckoning eh? I still run pretty fast.... :ivar
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited March 17, 2014
    Winter? - What's a Winter?
    According to the local news, Escondido, Ca broke a 100yr. old temp record (for the date) yesterday... 94deg.
    A bit warm, but very scenic for mountain biking.

San Pasqual Valley......... At the upper-right edge is the location of the World Famous San Diego Safari Park
    San%20Pasqual-XL.jpg

Ants Marching (look close)
    Raptor%20Ridge-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • silvio000silvio000 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2014
    Spotted this tortured baby downtown.

D71_7763-L.jpg

Sílvio Oliveirawww.silviooliveira.net