Phil
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2014
    I really like the comp & dynamics of #1 - it looks like a watercolor & the shadows look lush & inviting, but I'm wanting the trees or something to be a bit more in focus (that's just me though, a lot of people like that effect). On #2, I really like the crispness, not as thrilled with the comp - I like the bit of foreground interest & the green of the pine tree adds just enough color, I just wonder how the shot would look if you played a bit with the cropping, I think a bit off the left and top might draw me in more. When I look at the whole photo, I find myself looking more at the top half through all the tree branches, but if I scroll down a bit so the top part of the shot is off my monitor, I find myself looking down the path & wandering through the base of the trees which is much more fun! #3 really doesn't really hold my attention.

My choice of these three would be #2, & I would probably use a crop guide like this one: http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/photo-adjuster.html & play around with the crop.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2014
    lkbart wrote: »
    I really like the comp & dynamics of #1 - it looks like a watercolor & the shadows look lush & inviting, but I'm wanting the trees or something to be a bit more in focus (that's just me though, a lot of people like that effect). On #2, I really like the crispness, not as thrilled with the comp - I like the bit of foreground interest & the green of the pine tree adds just enough color, I just wonder how the shot would look if you played a bit with the cropping, I think a bit off the left and top might draw me in more. When I look at the whole photo, I find myself looking more at the top half through all the tree branches, but if I scroll down a bit so the top part of the shot is off my monitor, I find myself looking down the path & wandering through the base of the trees which is much more fun! #3 really doesn't really hold my attention.

My choice of these three would be #2, & I would probably use a crop guide like this one: http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/photo-adjuster.html & play around with the crop.

Thanks for your analysis. I will make some adjustments on #2. I like the link you sent and will play with that.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 10, 2014
    I really like what Lillian said about all 3 photos. She hit the nail on the head. I too like number 2 the best and if it were mine to crop, I would remove just a little off the bottom and crop the left side to just off the edge of the longest branch of the green pine tree. What I love most about this image is the starkness of the snow and forest, is in contrast with brightness of the evergreen under the snow covered branches. Its almost like some kind of metaphor. Like, life struggles to maintain its beauty under the weight of the storm.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2014
    My first impression of the set is very positive... mostly because each shot is so different from the others, despite rain being a constant in 1 and 3.

I really like the atmosphere you've captured in #1. I do find myself looking for some part of the image to be in sharper focus, but then ask myself why. It works as it is to evoke a rainy day sensation. I might try cropping it at a 16:9 ratio by trimming the bottom and the trunk on the right.

I made the mistake of reading the prior comments about #2 before judging for myself. I found myself comparing a top and bottom crop until I realized that it seems to work fine as it is for me. I really like the way you've exposed it - just right to balance the busy-ness of the branches with the overall desolation of the bare trees and snow. It's set off nicely by the touch of green in the pine tree. Two things are attracting my attention, though. First, there's a horizontal line (created by a branch on the snow?) crossing the trunk of the tree on the right. I can't stop referencing it as a cross. Was that by design? Second, there is a cluster of dead leaves just above and to the right of the top of the pine. I find them a bit distracting. Overall, I really like this. As your first shot, it's highly evocative of emotions and senses.

I'm more attracted to #3 than the first two commenters. It's another effective representation of the weather the avoids a literalist interpretation.

The set comes across well as representing weather in ways that go beyond representation to feeling. Nicely done. I'll cast my vote for them in the order you have posted.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,276 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2014
    I like both #1 and #2. I love the dreamy feel of the rain in #1; and the blur adds to the photo. #2 is just plain beautiful!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain