Options

sierra nevada: getting the most in post

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 13, 2004 in Finishing School
so, i gave one of my window shots a new treatment. this is the sierra nevada mountains, shot last thursday around 9:30am local time from 35,000 feet aboard a 767.

details: canon 10d, 1/640th sec, f/5, 28-135mm lens on board at 28mm (44.6mm in 35mm format). in post: convert to bw (*) i used -channel mixer: 50/50/0, check monochrome); levels adjustment; 22% luminosity toning applied (**); noise reduction at level 4 via fred miranda's isox pro - and then masked - so that only the sky got the noise reduction; usm (150, .4, 0) - and that was masked too, so that everything but the sky and distant peaks got sharpened.

6080311-L.jpg

i'm really looking forward to printing this one, big :-)

here's what the original raw file looks like, unedited:

6080606-L.jpg

and here's a 100% crop from the image, just to give you an idea of
the detail that's there:

6080566-O.jpg

(*) there's a week's worth of reading on b&w tips, techniques here

(**) luminosity toning is explained right here

enjoy (getting the most in post) photography,

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    Andy, it never ceases to amaze me what you see in, and can create with, a shot that others might pass up.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    Love your photo, Andy and re your framing.........
    andy wrote:
    so, i gave one of my window shots a new treatment. this is the sierra nevada mountains, shot last thursday around 9:30am local time from 35,000 feet aboard a 767.

details: canon 10d, 1/640th sec, f/5, 28-135mm lens on board at 28mm (44.6mm in 35mm format). in post: convert to bw (*) i used -channel mixer: 50/50/0, check monochrome); levels adjustment; 22% luminosity toning applied (**); noise reduction at level 4 via fred miranda's isox pro - and then masked - so that only the sky got the noise reduction; usm (150, .4, 0) - and that was masked too, so that everything but the sky and distant peaks got sharpened.

i'm really looking forward to printing this one, big :-)

That would make an awesome big shot, Andy. It is great as it is. Here, fantastic. To think what can be done in post.

I know this is not on the subject, but how big a white "mat" do you put around your photos? I go to image to canvas, to 1% black, then 9% white. I tried smaller and I couldn't get the lettering in, might be my lack of expertise on lettering. I have to then go to Elements as it has the thing for the drop shadow.

You do not look like you are wasting as much of your picture as I am.... I came to that formula with this last photograph. It seemed to look better with a very thin black line, then the white..........

If you do it a lot differently then you probably couldn't tell me how big the "frame" is around your photos, but I thought I would ask.

I love that photo. And all the sites on blk and white, too.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 13, 2004
    That is freakin' incredible. artist.gifshayartist.gif
  • Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    I love it, too! I wonder if you flew right over me, as I've been up in Tahoe for two weeks (returned Saturday). I got some piccies up there, and then used my brilliant mind to leave my camera in my beau's car. D'oh! C'est la vies, as I'll be moved in by Monday evening.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery