Options

Snowy owl portrait

SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
edited January 13, 2014 in Wildlife
I've had the good fortune of having a snowy take up residence for the winter a few miles from my home.

This morning was foggy with freezing rain, but I had the morning off and so light be damned - I was going to get a photo.

I got a few flight shots, but given the completely flat light they weren't anything special. However, I did kind of like this one.

Comments / criticisms / suggestions for improvement welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2014
    Checked your site! Some really great shots! Love the doe with squirrel! Where in the world do you find so many wolves and bears? Cheers!
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2014
    Thanks.

While bears aren't too hard to find in northern MN, there is a place on the Canadian border called the Vince Shulte wildlife reserve (or something like that). It is crazy, but you can pretty much walk around with the wild black bears that have become habituated to humans at that particular spot over the last 70-80? years. There are lots of arguments people have about this.

You literally learn to watch for reflections in the viewfinder so one doesn't sneak up behind you. Here's a pic that someone took of me from 2005 to give a sense of things.

The other way is go north of Ely, tip over a garbage can and set up your lens. The bears will be there in about 10 minutes.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2014
    Thanks Steve! A new entry on the bucket list! Cheers!