LR4>LR5 - worth it?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 16, 2014 in Digital Darkroom
I get it for the educator price.

Just wondering if there are enough updates to make it worth the $80 before they make it cloud only! (on the assumption that they eventually will)

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2013
    Yes.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited December 12, 2013
    OK, maybe that was a little terse.
    Here's a great overview.
    I really like the radial tool, non-circular healing, perspective correction, many many "real" improvements.
    John :
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2013
    I'm not 100% sure if it may have also existed in LR4, but the Visualize Spots function, which I learned about in LR5, is such a time saver!!
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2013
    divamum wrote: »

Just wondering if there are enough updates to make it worth the $80 before they make it cloud only! (on the assumption that they eventually will)

ZOMG yes. Esp for $80
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2013
    Ha - well that's pretty unanimous! I guess I'll have to pony up thumb.gif
    edited December 12, 2013
    Actually, it's even cheaper via Adorama and B&H - $72. ne_nau.gif
    edited December 12, 2013
    NOW I just need to figure out how you confirm educator status when you don't buy it direct from Adobe - does anybody know if you deal with that via the vendor, or on installation/registration? It's not a problem, I'm just wondering how to do it; int he past I've bought through the Adobe site, and just used my college email address to confirm status.
    edited December 12, 2013
    Jus' spel rite and use gud grammer.
    John :
    edited December 12, 2013
    No, that just confirms me as over 40 ~ducks and runs~ :D
    edited December 13, 2013

NOW I just need to figure out how you confirm educator status when you don't buy it direct from Adobe - does anybody know if you deal with that via the vendor, or on installation/registration? It's not a problem, I'm just wondering how to do it; int he past I've bought through the Adobe site, and just used my college email address to confirm status.

FWIW, I believe the "Education" version of software packages is intended for class taking purposes. I believe the "license" prohibits its use for commercial (for profit) purposes. I know that many ignore it, but if someone is moving deeply into a commercial enterprise with their photography, they may want to think about the potential consequences as their work/client base grows. As the business grows, the software cost becomes a smaller percentage of revenue, so why worth the risk.
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2013
    Actually, it's even cheaper via Adorama and B&H - $72. ne_nau.gif

Just buy it!
    edited December 13, 2013
    aj986s wrote: »
    FWIW, I believe the "Education" version of software packages is intended for class taking purposes. I believe the "license" prohibits its use for commercial (for profit) purposes. I know that many ignore it, but if someone is moving deeply into a commercial enterprise with their photography, they may want to think about the potential consequences as their work/client base grows. As the business grows, the software cost becomes a smaller percentage of revenue, so why worth the risk.

I scoured the Adobe site before I bought my first product with the discount (for just the reasons you cite) and nowhere does it say that in the small print; there is no a spelled-out usage proviso. From the Adobe website:

Can I use Student and Teacher Edition products commercially?

Yes, Student and Teacher Edition products can be used commercially on your privately owned computer. They may not be resold.
    edited December 13, 2013
    I scoured the Adobe site before I bought my first product with the discount (for just the reasons you cite) and nowhere does it say that in the small print; there is no a spelled-out usage proviso. From the Adobe website:

Can I use Student and Teacher Edition products commercially?

Yes, Student and Teacher Edition products can be used commercially on your privately owned computer. They may not be resold.

Wow. That's interesting. Maybe the times have changed. I had bought some Adobe software (Photoshop, Pagemaker, and maybe something other....) for some college classes I was taking some time ago. I recall the boxes having statements about prohibiting commercial use. I personally haven't bought "Education" versions in a long while.

Thanks!
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited January 10, 2014
    Worth it for the radial filter alone. It's like having an off-camera flash ... in Lightroom!! (and no, of course that doesn't make up for getting it right in camera, using the light blah blah blah, but it's bloody helpful when the shooting situation precluded good lighting in situ!)
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2014
    The specs say windows 7 - 8. I wonder if it would work on Vista?
  • tebogantebogan Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    eia wrote: »
    the specs say windows 7 - 8. I wonder if it would work on vista?

nope
    Photography is the art of making an image of what you see so others can see what you saw.
    edited January 15, 2014
    Eia, given what resource hogs Adobe products are, I would be skeptical about it running on an unsupported machine....
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    Eia wrote: »
    The specs say windows 7 - 8. I wonder if it would work on Vista?

AnnaMaria, Vista?? Really??
    I suppose you take the stagecoach to town also... (ducking and running with Diva :D)
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    AnnaMaria, Vista?? Really??
    I suppose you take the stagecoach to town also... (ducking and running with Diva :D)

Hahaha...yep, embarrassingly true. Been putting it off for awhile, weddings, medical issues and all but spring is target time for new system. Actually, this was built for me and I have not had problems but now am running into the lack of support. If it was up to my husband we would have a horse and buggy :D