Options

Organization question

HarryPutnamHarryPutnam Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited January 16, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I've been smugmugging for several yrs now, but never really delved very deeply into customizations or the like. I was just getting to sort of know how to do what
needed doing on the old setup. And that took a couple of yrs.

Now with the new setup... well let me just say it has not been a joy.

On old setup I had homepage / category / galleries

Just one (what was then called a category)
On the new setup I have homepage / folders / galleries.

Homepage is crawling with images with no indication of where they came from.

And if I hit browse, it opens on one lone image that is supposed to be my folder
with still no indication there are galleries to be found. Finally, click the image on
folders brings visitor to the galleries.

In the old setup, on the homepage a visitor knew immediately where the
galleries were because they were listed right on the home page. No need then or
now for a browse button.

OK, so the only way I could think of to make a list of galleries was to select all my
galleries and using the `organize' tool, move them to hompage. And ... it had the
desired effect. Now my homepage shows a list of galleries.

However, when visitor scrolls down thru the galleries the Title and menu sections follow
along, so that as you scroll down you now have an obnoxios title and menu obscuring the
cover pics for the galleries.

I didn't find a way to simply delete the title and menu.

How can I stop those two blocks (Title and menu) from following along when the page is
scrolled... can I simply delete them somehow?

Or maybe I'm just missing how to set this up. Here is a brief idea of what I want:

hompage should show a list of galleries with cover pics for icons. I'd like to just scrap
my old category (now a folder) but see no way to do that.

I have no need of a Title or Menu, with the possible exception of a search button.

I don't want text boxes floating along when I scroll thru my galleries.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    On your homepage go to customize > customize site
    In the right flyout click the layout tab
    At the bottom is "Pinning"
    set it to none.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    LindyLindy Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    Hi Harry,

Sorry you're having a difficult time. It might be best if you email us for help with this, since we can't link to your site from your public information, here.

If you hit Customize > Customize Site on your logged in site, you can hover over the content on the page to see a colored overlay. At the top of that overlay, you should see a wrench. Click it and you can see what the contents on that page are.

You can still display your galleries or your folders (categories) on your homepage, if that's what you'd like to do. Take a look here to see more about your site content: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1210628 How well that will work, depends on the number of galleries you have.

You can delete your navigation bar, or just specific links, if that's what you want to do. Hover over that content and click the wrench at the top. If you hover over the links, you should see a little trash can next to the title. Click it to remove the link. When all of them are deleted, the menu will be gone.

The title is basically the same. Click the wrench and remove the text that is there in the "Title" and it will simply disappear.

Please be aware you can only have 300 items within a level. So, if you have over 300 galleries, you will need to make use of folders. If you have less, and don't plan to exceed that number, you can place all of your galleries in your root directory. (No folder, right under your name).

To do that, go to Organize > Organize Site. Click to highlight the galleries you want to move and drag them to your name, or to the folder you want them in and drop them. Ctrl + left click will allow you to select multiple galleries.

I hope this helps. Again, if you'll email us from the email address in your account, we'll be better able to help you.

Lindy
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com/