EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited January 22, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
MiG-15-X2.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    Very nice shot, Eric. Good conversion work.

It took some fair-sized cojones to take that plane into combat. It had a habitually bad oxygen supply system for the pilots.... caused more than a few of them to auger in.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2014
    Thanks Tom... and thanks for the info - I'm guessing pilot complaints were constrained by military discipline and political headlock.
    It is a funny looking little plane... in-person it looked primitive and more like a carnival ride than a fighter aircraft.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Thanks Tom... and thanks for the info - I'm guessing pilot complaints were constrained by military discipline and political headlock.
    It is a funny looking little plane... in-person it looked primitive and more like a carnival ride than a fighter aircraft.

The Mig 15 would never win a beauty contest, for sure. However, it was, indeed, a very formidable fighter. In the hands of a skilled pilot, the Mig was one tough adversary. It was ruling the skies during the Korean conflict until the U.S. could get its latest fighter....the F-86....into the battle.

Compared to the F-86, the Mig was somewhat less developed in some technical areas: inferior gun sights, less redundancy in critical flight systems, etc. It reflected the Russian approach to their aircraft of that period.....build them cheap and build a lot of them. But the Mig had some solid attributes. It had a slightly superior flight ceiling ( over 50,000 feet ) and could out climb the F-86. The F-86 was a little faster, could out dive the Mig, and was much more robustly built.

When the latest versions of the F-86 were introduced and were fitted with the infamous " moving tail " feature, the Mig was much less of a threat. I've seen these Migs fly. They are quite maneuverable ....but lacking in reliability and sophistication.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    Thanks so much Tom, for sharing the informative back-story on this aircraft - the range of your personal
    experiences is impressive, and when told by you, make interesting, enriching, captions for our images.

You should write a book sir!

Best,
    Eric
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2014
    Nice b&w conversion and good POV.

Where was this displayed?
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    willard3 wrote: »
    Nice b&w conversion and good POV.

Where was this displayed?
    Thanks man!
    This display is located at an aviation museum in San Diego, adjacent to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.
    It's not real big, but it's well done and worth a visit if a person is in SD and likes such.

Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum
    See it here: http://flyingleathernecks.org/
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2014
    The Flying Leatherneck Museum is located on Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, San Diego but, is accessed through a separate gate so the museum is available to the general public. It is the only museum dedicated to Marine Corps Aviation.

Here is the Grumman F9F Cougar. Navy and Marine Corps aviators (we in the Naval service call airplane jockeys "aviators" to differentiate them from "pilots" who are responsible for guiding ships into and out of ports) flew the earlier model F9F Panther (which looked almost like the Cougar) during the Korean Conflict and bagged MIG15's with the Panther. http://www.mofak.com/Royce%20Williams-Navy%20Pilot%20MIG%20Killer.htm

I have got to admit that if good looks were any indication of an airplane's effectiveness, the Panther/Cougar would certainly outshine the MIG-15.

F9F-001-GIF-L.gif

The F4U Corsair was credited with a few MIG kills during that conflict. This one is a night fighter configured F4U-2. I don't know if the night fighter was even flown during the Korean war but, both the Marines and Navy flew the standard F4U Corsairs from carriers and land bases in the early days of the war.

JPEG%20F4U%20002-L.jpg

See some more of the Flying Leatherneck Museum at: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Airplanes/FLYING-LEATHERNECK-AVIATION/i-mJR22Rg