Making Impressive Biz Postcards

JMASTERJJMASTERJ Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited January 18, 2014 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi all... I want to send out some nice looking postcards, not too flimsy, not too expensive, if possible. It seems the heaviest mass selling item is like the Digital Color Elite Gloss Cover Stock, 80 lbs., 8-1/2 x 11, White, 250 Sheets/PK Model: 3R11458 for about $10, glossy on both sides. But I hear from some reviews that the 216 g/m2 is really not that thick even though its "card stock" and some were looking for better but never stated what.

I am planning on printing 2 on each letter size and cutting them in half and sending them out that way. The Avery 8383 I have is way too thin (cant even find what the weight is on that anywhere, very annoying) and its too small... making the large 6"x11" is too big and will basically double my cost of making each one since I am planning on sending thousands.

ANY suggestions from your experience will be appreciated, this is frustrating because there are so many choices and I am not sure what is the high industry standard.

Thanks and happy holidays!!! :clap

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 25, 2013
    And Merry Christmas to you too!

Take a look at the USPS characteristics for postcard sizes. That will give you a better idea of what you should plan for if you're thinking about mailing them.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • JMASTERJJMASTERJ Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    And Merry Christmas to you too!

Take a look at the USPS characteristics for postcard sizes. That will give you a better idea of what you should plan for if you're thinking about mailing them.

No I do know about the sizes, I am talking about the weight and gloss.... as I said I am already set on cutting a letter sized sheet in half, they are getting sent for free so I dont care about the paper WxL size.... but want a nice "feel" to them with the gloss, maybe on one or both sides.

edited December 25, 2013
    JMASTERJ wrote: »
    No I do know about the sizes, I am talking about the weight and gloss.... as I said I am already set on cutting a letter sized sheet in half, they are getting sent for free so I dont care about the paper WxL size.... but want a nice "feel" to them with the gloss, maybe on one or both sides.

I would look at a photo satin or maybe photo gloss paper. The paper you suggested has a kind of "slick" feel to it. I've used it for other things before. I don't really care for it.

You could also look at Red River Paper's postcard stock.
    edited December 25, 2013
    I would look at a photo satin or maybe photo gloss paper. The paper you suggested has a kind of "slick" feel to it. I've used it for other things before. I don't really care for it.

You could also look at Red River Paper's postcard stock.

Sorry I still dont understand what u mean... what weight and what brand are we talking about, can you give me an example? I also need to know where I can get it, and red river has tons of options. Someone told me a 12pt paper might be the best weight... my Canon MP530 takes up to 273 gsm.

edited December 25, 2013
    Sorry I still dont understand what u mean... what weight and what brand are we talking about, can you give me an example? I also need to know where I can get it, and red river has tons of options. Someone told me a 12pt paper might be the best weight... my Canon MP530 takes up to 273 gsm.

The brand is Red River. You buy it online.

For a double sided glossy paper, you can look at the 60#.

This is probably the heaviest single sided matte paper. 88#. There is a 60# version that would work better for your printer.

And of course, there's a double sided version of that paper too. It's a 60# paper.

There are a number of different paper suppliers that can supply similar papers. With your printer, a 60# paper is probably the heaviest stock you'll be able to put through it.

If you're not sure what to get, I'd look at a sample package. Give them a call and they'll help you with your selection.
    edited December 26, 2013
    The brand is Red River. You buy it online.

For a double sided glossy paper, you can look at the 60#.

This is probably the heaviest single sided matte paper. 88#. There is a 60# version that would work better for your printer.

And of course, there's a double sided version of that paper too. It's a 60# paper.

There are a number of different paper suppliers that can supply similar papers. With your printer, a 60# paper is probably the heaviest stock you'll be able to put through it.

If you're not sure what to get, I'd look at a sample package. Give them a call and they'll help you with your selection.

Thanks for explaining, just like most things, when u get into it, there is so much to learn, and I am investing quite a bit to this mailing and timing is crucial, gotta happen like yesterday so thats why I am acting all "desperate." People using #, then gsm, then pts, etc for paper specs, so confusing. I guess I'll just call them, hopefully they wont ream me (no pun intended) for fast shipping charges...

So there is no local store that would sell anything remotely close to this? I would think people would be printing more and more their own postcards to save on costs and the fact that almost any printer these days produces outstanding results.

P.S. This red river company is outstanding in their listings and makes me feel good ordering from them... the 60# Pecos River one-sided Gloss seems like a safe choice but not sure how thick it feels since I am not experienced in that "feel." It seems to state the 96# seems overkill... but it seems to state the Canon printers can handle even that (with single feed, which might be annoying for hundreds), but that makes the 86# double sided gloss much more attractive... I may consider investing in double the cost of the paper for the chance to make even a 10% stronger impression... but I love the web site's stats and compatibility listings, thats outstanding!

One thing I dont understand is, if i get the letter sized 60# to cut into 2 cards, I am still paying 26 cents per card as opposed to 10 or 12 cents per if I got the 4x6 or 5x7... shouldnt their selling a letter sized just be slightly more than 5x7's cost? I have rarely seen costs go up so disproportionately to bulk or increased size discounts unless we are talking about previous metals or gems... am I seeing that right? Then I might as well go with the 5x7's.
    edited December 26, 2013
    With the printer you have, you won't be able print anything much thicker than the 60# papers. You might single feed a piece of 80# paper but probably not much thicker than that. If you want to get a feel for the thickness, try picking up 8-10 pieces of printer paper. 60# is a bit like that. 80# might be around 15 sheets. The paper 'feel' depends largely on what the finish is. A glossy paper will feel smooth/slick. The matte papers can feel less smooth and if it's embossed, "rough".
    edited December 26, 2013
    With the printer you have, you won't be able print anything much thicker than the 60# papers. You might single feed a piece of 80# paper but probably not much thicker than that. If you want to get a feel for the thickness, try picking up 8-10 pieces of printer paper. 60# is a bit like that. 80# might be around 15 sheets. The paper 'feel' depends largely on what the finish is. A glossy paper will feel smooth/slick. The matte papers can feel less smooth and if it's embossed, "rough".

Using 8-15 sheets still feels pretty flimsy... I guess I am looking for something that feels stiffer and assumed "card stock" was that.

Since you know this stuff so well, lets say you had everything riding on one 5000 postcard mailing for your main business (lets say a graphic design/tech/computer business), make or break, has to go out now or never to sustain. You do not want to spend thousands of dollars but you know if the clientele are impressed by the card, they will call and the ROI will be great, but you want to make that professional grade first impression. What would you use? I would love 1-2 choices and explanation of why each one is worth its price... I hope that becomes a simpler question now that I "understand" more of what this paper concept is about.

Continued thanks for your time and such prompt, this is invaluable to me in a critical time. iloveyou.gif
    edited December 26, 2013
    Using 8-15 sheets still feels pretty flimsy... I guess I am looking for something that feels stiffer and assumed "card stock" was that.

Since you know this stuff so well, lets say you had everything riding on one 5000 postcard mailing for your main business (lets say a graphic design/tech/computer business), make or break, has to go out now or never to sustain. You do not want to spend thousands of dollars but you know if the clientele are impressed by the card, they will call and the ROI will be great, but you want to make that professional grade first impression. What would you use? I would love 1-2 choices and explanation of why each one is worth its price... I hope that becomes a simpler question now that I "understand" more of what this paper concept is about.

Continued thanks for your time and such prompt, this is invaluable to me in a critical time. iloveyou.gif

Card stock is that. You don't feel the stiffness probably because each of the sheets is sliding around a bit.

If I was printing 5000 of an item, I would farm the printing out-if you have a typical ink-jet, that's a lot of ink and cartridges are not cheap.

I can't answer the rest of the question. Well, I could but I think you need to evaluate the products that are available to you and make a decision based on that. I will say that I would be more concerned about piece rate and value.
    edited December 26, 2013
    Ya unfortunately outsourcing will cost way too much, and my ink cost is really minimal... I refill my own, bought a cup of black ink like 7 years ago and I am almost out of that just now, as well as the ~10oz color bottles, and that total only cost me like $35. I already ordered the 86lb. Pecos River Gloss DUO 4x6 and 5x7 sheets, 500 each, cost me $340 so far. Hope it turns out nice, and also hope I dont have to feed one at a time, that would be kinda a pain. Thanks and I'll give u a followup if u interested.
    edited December 26, 2013
    Glad you found something that'll work for you. Be interested in hearing your experience.

Good luck!
  • AlliOOPAlliOOP Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2014
    Most paper companies including Red River have sampler packs for a cheap(er) price comparatively that allows one to print on different papers. Then it becomes easier to pick the paper prior to buying a whole lot and finding out it won't work for the job. They also provide the profiles for the best printing quality output. Granted it takes time to do this, but it can prevent some problems in the long run. As you indicated, you are short on time so a good suggestion is to take go to the local FedEx outlet and see the papers they have. Have them do a single run of different papers in their printers. It won't be exactly the same but close enough to give you proofs as what paper is best.

Good luck.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 18, 2014
    JMasters:

If I'm reading correctly, you're confusing weight and density in paper stock. You can have two different papers, both designated 60# but feel very different because one is "Text" while the other is "Cover"

Here's a helpful chart: http://www.paper-papers.com/paper-weights.html

Good luck