Reflectors to hand hold

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited January 20, 2014 in Accessories
Hi there,
I had a look on this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgl-TPjbUnk
and a typical reflector I think is very big for being used by me when shooting a person. I am looking for something smaller that I can hold during portrait shooting.
Is there something that you can suggest me?
I would like to thank you in advance for your reply
Regards
Alex

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    Tons of smaller ones available on eBay as well as photo stores - not expensive. Also, you can use sheets of heavy white card, or just about anything with a reflective surface!

Here's a link on ebay.de - just hunt around and you can find the size you want, I'm sure. They usually come from China so it's not quick, but they're inexpensive and work great!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/PhotaREX-5in1-Faltreflektor-rund-mit-Tasche-60cm-Reflektor-Reflector-/110742667590?pt=DE_Fotostudio_Zubeh%C3%B6r_Reflektoren&hash=item19c8c70146
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 17, 2014
    Not sure if it's available in Germany, but foam-core boards are very light, reasonably stiff and durable, and reasonable in price.

Still, trying to use reflectors solo for photography is a lesson in frustration. (Been there, done that. Won't do it again.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 17, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Still, trying to use reflectors solo for photography is a lesson in frustration. (Been there, done that. Won't do it again.)

^^ This (my first response to this thread, which got eaten in a computer freeze, said pretty much the same thing). Tt really is frustrating as you can't hold and shoot well simultaneously. Even indoors!

If I don't want to use a proper stand, I either get somebody else to hold them for me, lean them up against other things, or clip them using big spring clips (the kind you use in woodwork, or even very strong clothes pegs!).
    edited January 17, 2014
    PS I'm not even sure what foam core is called auf Deutsch, or if it's even available. It's the very thick, light, paper+styrofoam card used to mount photo prints, or lightweight artwork. Googling to see if I can find it so you know what to look for. It's super-useful in photography for ALL sorts of things (reflector, you can use it to "flag" a flash if you don't want light bouncing back on the subject, you can use three pieces of it to make an impromptu "table top" set for small objects etc etc.)

Here's a picture in the meantime:

3-D-Foam-01.jpg
  • alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2014
    Thanks a lot for the answer.
    P.S divamum: I am still working on improving my portrait shoots based on available light. I will try to post updates soon
    P.S2(after edit). Every reflector stand will work on any reflector too? Can I go for a cheapy ebay one?
    Alex
    edited January 17, 2014
    alaios wrote: »
    P.S2(after edit). Every reflector stand will work on any reflector too? Can I go for a cheapy ebay one?
    Alex

As far as I know! Remember you need a stand (like a light stand) and the "arms" that hold the reflector,which get attached to the lighting stand. I use my Interfit reflector stand - which came with an interfit reflector - with eBay reflectors, and also foam core, and even shiny, foil-backed insulation board (the kind they use inside walls to help houses retain/reflect heat). The stands have sliding clips and you just squeeze them open and slip the reflector into the clips.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 18, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's available in Germany, but foam-core boards are very light, reasonably stiff and durable, and reasonable in price.

I am with Ziggy. Reflectors really, REALLY need a "voice actuated" light stand!thumb.gif

That is some one you can tell - " Tilt the light to the left, up just a bit, and then back up and feather it slightly as well"

It is hard to get inanimate light stands to do this very well…. Or even friends. I think voice actuated light stands need to be paid employees for best results. Just my thoughts…

California Sunbounce has some nice reflectors, that can be handheld or light stand mounted. They are made in Germany I think - http://www.sunbounce.com

Lastolite makes some nice Tri Grip reflectors as well, that CAN be used in one hand with your camera in the other, if you are fairly ambidextrous.-- http://www.lastolite.us/product_list/1066861.85450.1067089.0.0/TriGrip_Large

They are not as cheap as foam core board, but the sunbounce versions come in a nice zebra gold and white version that gives nice warm fill light.

One can also mount a flash on the extension spreader on the sunbounce and bounce the flash off the reflector to give nice soft ( but brighter ) fill light too.

Be careful with them, they can really glare in a subjects eyes if your light stand is not careful with them….
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 640 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2014
    As Pathfinder noted above, Lastolite Tri Grip. I own one & use it frequently. The only downside is that it does not produce beautiful round catchlights....
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2014
    Hi, can you give me a link of the Lastolite Tri Grip on ebay?
    Regards
    Alex