Options

Custom URL adding extra characters?

LarryFLarryF Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited January 22, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
When I specify a custom URL, I'm getting an additional node on the end. For example, I entered:

2014-01-10-JonesMaternity

But Smugmug is making the URL:

2014-01-10-JonesMaternity/n-THtvm

And to view the gallery, the whole URL with the "n-THtvm" has to be included. Is there a way to avoid this and only use the custom URL I specified?

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 22, 2014
    LarryF wrote: »
    When I specify a custom URL, I'm getting an additional node on the end. For example, I entered:

2014-01-10-JonesMaternity

But Smugmug is making the URL:

2014-01-10-JonesMaternity/n-THtvm

And to view the gallery, the whole URL with the "n-THtvm" has to be included. Is there a way to avoid this and only use the custom URL I specified?
    This is not related to using a custom URL, it is the difference between public and unlisted galleries.

If the gallery is set to unlisted the extra characters are required. Change the gallery to public and they won't be needed.

See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1229910-new-smugmug-what-are-the-gallery-level-privacy-settings-.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2014
    No, I need them to be unlisted because otherwise, if they're public, anyone can type "http://www.mysite.com/myfolder/" and see every gallery in the folder 'myfolder'. They are password protected so they just see the lock screen, but they still see all the galleries and all the gallery names.

Also, the documentation says:

"The code at the end of that link is required for visitors to be able to open your unlisted gallery. Without it, we'll just redirect them to the closest public location: subcategory, category, or your homepage."

This would be great, however, it's not redirecting to the closest public location or my homepage. It's gives a 404 error, page not found. See the attached screenshot. Can I redirect 404 errors to a specific page?
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2014
    No, I need them to be unlisted because otherwise, if they're public, anyone can type "http://www.mysite.com/myfolder/" and see every gallery in the folder 'myfolder'. They are password protected so they just see the lock screen, but they still see all the galleries and all the gallery names.

Also, the documentation says:

"The code at the end of that link is required for visitors to be able to open your unlisted gallery. Without it, we'll just redirect them to the closest public location: subcategory, category, or your homepage."

This would be great, however, it's not redirecting to the closest public location or my homepage. It's gives a 404 error, page not found. See the attached screenshot. Can I redirect 404 errors to a specific page?
    If the gallery is unlisted you can't redirect to the URL without the code at the end. The code must be included in the URL or the gallery will not be accessible.

Have you considered using public but password-protected galleries? That will give you the form of the URL you want but will not allow access to anyone who doesn't have the password.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2014
    I understand that the code on the end of the URL must be included for the unlisted galleries to be accessible. What I want to do is put code in so that anytime someone enters a URL to a gallery on my site that doesn't exist, that instead of a 404 error, it redirects them to my homepage.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2014
    I understand that the code on the end of the URL must be included for the unlisted galleries to be accessible. What I want to do is put code in so that anytime someone enters a URL to a gallery on my site that doesn't exist, that instead of a 404 error, it redirects them to my homepage.
    What about customizing your 404 page instead? That could offer an explanation instead. Go to your 404 page while you are logged in, then customize that page.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2014
    Maybe I'm just missing it, but I can't find where the 404 page is to customize it.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2014
    Maybe I'm just missing it, but I can't find where the 404 page is to customize it.
    enter an invalid page URL for your site while you are logged in. You will be taken to the 404 page. Then Customize just this page.

You might be interested in this - http://news.smugmug.com/2013/07/31/smug-tip-customize-your-404-search-page-and-more/.

--- Denise