Options

sync folders on PC

KenM37KenM37 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited January 24, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I've been looking around for a good way to automatically keep my local directories/files in sync with my smugmug account. I found some reference to some older apps but they don't appear to be compatible with the new version of smugmug.
Can someone point me in the right direction.
Ken

Comments

• Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2014
    May not be the answer you're looking for....but Lightroom has a very good Publish function, that allows you to nicely sync with your SmugMug galleries. It allows you to store your photos one way on the PC, but be able to select and create "collections" for publishing to SmugMug. Then it even recognizes if a photo has been changed, allowing you to update only those on SmugMug. When you publish a new set to SmugMug, you can even create the folder/gallery from within Lightroom. Even provides right-click link to open your SmugMug gallery in a browser.

I recently started using a schema of assigning Stars and Color Flags to my pics in Lightroom, following download from the card. Then I can easily select the Starred pics (my better pics) to create my set of shots to host on SmugMug. And if I go back later and change assignments in the PC folders, Lightroom automatically knows which ones to re-publish (add, delete or replace) in SmugMug.

IMHO, Lightroom is a very effective photo management application for the money.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    KenM37KenM37 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2014
    aj986s wrote: »
    May not be the answer you're looking for....but Lightroom has a very good Publish function, that allows you to nicely sync with your SmugMug galleries. It allows you to store your photos one way on the PC, but be able to select and create "collections" for publishing to SmugMug. Then it even recognizes if a photo has been changed, allowing you to update only those on SmugMug. When you publish a new set to SmugMug, you can even create the folder/gallery from within Lightroom. Even provides right-click link to open your SmugMug gallery in a browser.

I recently started using a schema of assigning Stars and Color Flags to my pics in Lightroom, following download from the card. Then I can easily select the Starred pics (my better pics) to create my set of shots to host on SmugMug. And if I go back later and change assignments in the PC folders, Lightroom automatically knows which ones to re-publish (add, delete or replace) in SmugMug.

IMHO, Lightroom is a very effective photo management application for the money.

Thanks for info.. I was trying to avoid $150. I'm not really into it enough to need that much of a program. I was hoping for something simpler (cheaper).
    Ken
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2014
    KenM37 wrote: »
    Thanks for info.. I was trying to avoid $150. I'm not really into it enough to need that much of a program. I was hoping for something simpler (cheaper).
    Ken

If you're a student, teacher or have access to one, Adobe sells "academic" versions of their software for reduced price.

Also, FWIW, I'm still using Lightroom 5, which precedes the current "Cloud" version. I like it a lot, and plan to stay away from the monthly Cloud obligation as long as I can. You may be able to find some discounted versions of LR5, like maybe at a local Computer Show.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com