Options

closing up second column

synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited January 25, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
I'm working on a page or a folder and I want on the left side, after an intro paragraph, a feed content box. The the right of the feed content, I'd like to place several photos and html blocks. When I try to add one under the first one on the right, it makes 3 columns. How can I add something to the second column?

In other words, on the left I have a content block that is 10 inches high, while on the right I want to put a stack of content blocks, each only and inch or two high. Can that be done?

When I mouse around looking for the green bars, I can't seem to find anything except the vertical for adding another column, which I don't want to do. Or, at the top and bottom, a horizontal bar which places the content above or below the long one.
Brandon Smith
http://redwoodtwig.com
Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2014
    They have designed the block placing so that single blocks can be side to side in a row or below in another row.

Very poor design. Kinda like they have no idea how div's can flow on a page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2014
    synature wrote: »
    I'm working on a page or a folder and I want on the left side, after an intro paragraph, a feed content box. The the right of the feed content, I'd like to place several photos and html blocks. When I try to add one under the first one on the right, it makes 3 columns. How can I add something to the second column?

In other words, on the left I have a content block that is 10 inches high, while on the right I want to put a stack of content blocks, each only and inch or two high. Can that be done?

When I mouse around looking for the green bars, I can't seem to find anything except the vertical for adding another column, which I don't want to do. Or, at the top and bottom, a horizontal bar which places the content above or below the long one.

You can use negative margins for the set you want to scooch up.
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    You can use negative margins for the set you want to scooch up.

I'm not sure I want to go there at this point, but am very much surprised that the template system doesn't allow stacking blocks in a column.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2014
    synature wrote: »
    I'm not sure I want to go there at this point, but am very much surprised that the template system doesn't allow stacking blocks in a column.

The system does allow stacking in columns. The image shows how, and the pink is where you would need to apply negative margins to bring the lower blocks up to fill the "white space".

Even though I was told using them is Okay, I'm not sure. In this gallery I did a quick sloppy addition of a photo block that required me to use negative margins, and when the page loads, on my machine with 16 GB of RAM, the material in the upper left area arrives first in a jumble. Very visible and very mixed up. While I have used negative margins on other pages, I think I will try to be judicious about it.

http://www.joinrats.com/EarningTrust/RatsUsingTeeth/i-SzSJkZw
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2014
    ... the material in the upper left area arrives first in a jumble. Very visible and very mixed up. ...

http://www.joinrats.com/EarningTrust/RatsUsingTeeth/i-SzSJkZw
    That jumble looks pretty bad. Have you tried using position: relative; and top: -XXpx to move boxes up?
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    That jumble looks pretty bad. Have you tried using position: relative; and top: -XXpx to move boxes up?

Thank you Allen for making my brain hurt yet again, in a good way as always.
    Since the only option in a block is setting margins and container width, are you saying I should put CSS on the page that identifies each block that has to move and assign your code to that?
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2014
    I added 5 boxes, col 1 3 vert, col 2 1 vert, bottom 1 horz full width.
    Everything worked great except one thing. Left vert boxes 2 & 3 the tools/edit green box shows up
    below the bottom box. Seems that edit box is disconnected from main. Will need to do more testing.
    Using the position relative and -top the box moved up but it's edit box did not. More testing required.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2014
    Will you post the code, Allen? Or are you still working on it?
    If you're waiting for me .. it will be a long wait as there is too much I don't know.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2014
    Will you post the code, Allen? Or are you still working on it?
    If you're waiting for me .. it will be a long wait as there is too much I don't know.
    This is what I was playing with.
     /* top left */
    .sm-page-widget-4741152 {
      border: 8px solid red !important;
      background: #ccc !important;
      color: #000;
      width: 400px !important;
      height: 100px !important;
    }

/* center left */
    .sm-page-widget-4741167 {
      border: 8px solid red !important;